Bus Crashes Into House on Long Island

-CT1660-

After reading that post on subchat the owner is a scumbag, repeatedly breaking the law! ...and he was at the scene with his sob story saying the house doesn't matter., Bull shit if he was a caring human being and didn't illegally convert a porch so he could profit a child wouldn't have died.

There are so many scumbag landlords in this state, NYS really needs to find a way of stripping these scumbags who continually violate the law from being able to be landlords.

I don't think illegally converting a front porch has anything to do with being a "caring human being". People don't plan for a bus to come crashing through their house.

Don't jaywalk if you don't know how to do it & where... and that's coming from a guy who jaywalks Merrick Avenue extremely often, but on Hempstead Turnpike? Not only is it a major road, LI Drivers SUCK! (but no offense to the driver, he did the right thing but unfortunately hit the house)

I don't think illegally converting a front porch has anything to do with being a "caring human being". People don't plan for a bus to come crashing through their house.

That's why there are zoning laws, so the caring ;) landlords trying to make their property into as many income apartments as possible have guidelines to follow so people don't live in dangerous situations. Zoning people think of the dangers, thus making the laws to protect society from those who don't plan for the worst. Many people don't plan on a fire but having sleeping quarters is dangerous, and the mentioned this landlord was cited and paid a fine in the past having sleeping quarters in one of his basements.

People may not plan on a bus crashing through a house but if it had not been for this landlord converting an porch illegally into a bedroom this boy would not be dead,

People may not plan on a bus crashing through a house but if it had not been for this landlord converting an porch illegally into a bedroom this boy would not be dead,

And you know that how? If the boys slept in the living room because the porch wasn't available as a bedroom, that little boy would be dead anyway.

And you know that how? If the boys slept in the living room because the porch wasn't available as a bedroom, that little boy would be dead anyway.

He could've gotten obducted by aliens too, who knows when we speculate.... The bus could've hit the pole too avoiding this tragedy, but the fact is that the bus went threw the illegally converted porch the boy was sleeping in that the landlord greedily converted putting profits over safety, and thumbing his nose at laws to make a buck. That is fact not speculation.

Moving on with the topic at hand, jaywalking or not I would hope the majority of people still have the knowledge of not to walk directly in front of any vehicle, let alone a bus. That's pedestrian 101.

I would hope so too, but even this morning I witnessed a female BLINDLY crossing the street , then noticed the car in front of me was approaching her, so she ran back to the median. Pedestrians can be absent minded.

He could've gotten obducted by aliens too, who knows when we speculate.... The bus could've hit the pole too avoiding this tragedy, but the fact is that the bus went threw the illegally converted porch the boy was sleeping in that the landlord greedily converted putting profits over safety, and thumbing his nose at laws to make a buck. That is fact not speculation.

OK, maybe it was a little bit greedy, but let's not make him out to be this horrible person. Why don't we blame the boy's parents while we're at it? After all, they knew they were moving into an illegally converted house. How dare they try to save a few bucks on rent.

People do this type of stuff all the time. They rent out basements, illegally converted apartments, attics, and so on. Does that make them bad people for trying to save some money on rent? They're not sitting there thinking "Maybe one day a bus will crash through this house". Technically, those types of conversions are illegal because there's only one way out in case of a fire. But people are willing to take that small risk, because they know accidents rarely happen.

What if it was still a front porch and the kids were hanging out playing on it when the bus hit? The kid would still be dead.

And let's say it was up to code. That would make the house that much smaller, meaning the kids wouldn't be able to sleep in a bedroom. They might've been sleeping in the living room, which means that the bus would've come crashing through anyway.

OK, maybe it was a little bit greedy, but let's not make him out to be this horrible person.

Why not? It was his illegally converted house, the town cited for renting out illegal quarters before, he continued with his behavior and now a boy is dead, Why must he continually do what the law and town tell him not to so he can put people in danger, Thats why we have these regulations because such living quarters are dangerous.

IMO that makes this landlord a grade a scumbag! I hope the family gets everything he owns, maybe this landlord will only be able to afford an illegal apartment and we'll see how he likes it.

When we have people with your attitude excusing it away people live in danger and some die, but meh, the land lord isn't a scumbag because xyz, excuse, excuse, excuse.

Why don't we blame the boy's parents while we're at it? After all, they knew they were moving into an illegally converted house. How dare they try to save a few bucks on rent.

Are you sure the family knew they were moving into an illegally converted apartment?

People do this type of stuff all the time. They rent out basements, illegally converted apartments, attics, and so on. Does that make them bad people for trying to save some money on rent?

How much risk are people willing to put their family at risk to save on rent really. You know people may not change their brakes as often as possible, does that make them bad people. If anyone knowing puts their family into a dangerous situation, then yes, IMO it makes them a bad person. ...and when I say put them in danger I mean knowingly moving a family into an illegal basement. Oh and "I didn't know the water heater could go on fire, trapping my family to due because the windows were too little get out, it's notmy fault who thinks about stuff like everyday." doesn't count as an excuse because you knew it was illegal, why do you think it was illegal because the housong dept. knows how dangerous it is!

They're not sitting there thinking "Maybe one day a bus will crash through this house". Technically, those types of conversions are illegal because there's only one way out in case of a fire. But people are willing to take that small risk, because they know accidents rarely happen.

You can't justify illegal behavior like that. Just like you couldn't say "I didn't think anyone would die of a heart attack when I robbed the bank, I thought only people died in bank robberies by getting shot."

Can you tell me for sure the conversion wasn't illegal because the room was structurally unsafe to be living in? It doesn't matter the same way it doesn't how the person in he bank died, if you didn't decide to rob the bank that person wouldn't have died t that time.

What if it was still a front porch and the kids were hanging out playing on it when the bus hit? The kid would still be dead.

And let's say it was up to code. That would make the house that much smaller, meaning the kids wouldn't be able to sleep in a bedroom. They might've been sleeping in the living room, which means that the bus would've come crashing through anyway.

Maybe the parents would've been sleeping in the living room? Maybe the landlord wouldn't have rented to a family of 4 in a smaller apartment. Maybe if the jaywalker started drinking earlier in the day, this would've sped up the timeline of the events of the day and the kids wold've been at school.

Maybe you should stop playing what if and admit this landlord is at blame instead of trying to excuse him, because the fact is if he didn't illegally convert a porch the little boy wouldn't have been sleeping in the room and would not have died in this accident.

Maybe if the landlord hadn't of converted the porch, the bus would've just crashed into an empty porch while the boys were sleeping somewhere else. Fact. Stop trying to excuse it!

Why not? It was his illegally converted house, the town cited for renting out illegal quarters before, he continued with his behavior and now a boy is dead, Why must he continually do what the law and town tell him not to so he can put people in danger, Thats why we have these regulations because such living quarters are dangerous.

And you don't think he cares at all about the child? Yes, he illegally converted the house so he could make extra money. That doesn't mean he has no concern for his tenants.

People never think things will happen to them. He probably figured that he could make a quick buck, but it's not like he's thinking "I'm going to make this extra money, and who cares whether my tenants get injured or killed".

IMO that makes this landlord a grade a scumbag! I hope the family gets everything he owns, maybe this landlord will only be able to afford an illegal apartment and we'll see how he likes it.

When we have people with your attitude excusing it away people live in danger and some die, but meh, the land lord isn't a scumbag because xyz, excuse, excuse, excuse.

"We'll see how he likes it". :rolleyes: The landlord didn't put a gun to their head and force them to live in an illegal apartment. He didn't rob them blind and force them to resort to renting out an illegal apartment.

I'm not excusing it. He shouldn't have done it, but that doesn't make him a "scumbag".

Are you sure the family knew they were moving into an illegally converted apartment?

If they didn't, they should've realized something was off about the price they were paying in rent.

How much risk are people willing to put their family at risk to save on rent really. You know people may not change their brakes as often as possible, does that make them bad people. If anyone knowing puts their family into a dangerous situation, then yes, IMO it makes them a bad person. ...and when I say put them in danger I mean knowingly moving a family into an illegal basement. Oh and "I didn't know the water heater could go on fire, trapping my family to due because the windows were too little get out, it's notmy fault who thinks about stuff like everyday." doesn't count as an excuse because you knew it was illegal, why do you think it was illegal because the housong dept. knows how dangerous it is!

Yes, you knew it was illegal, but that doesn't make you a "scumbag". And people don't think about these things, so no, they really don't know. They don't think "Oh, if there's a fire, I could be trapped". They think "It looks spacious enough" or whatever. The thought of a fire or other tragedy doesn't cross their mind.

These people aren't thinking "Screw my family's safety so I can save on rent". They're thinking that the rent is cheap enough, and they don't think about the risks involved. That doesn't make them bad people, just thoughtless.

You can't justify illegal behavior like that. Just like you couldn't say "I didn't think anyone would die of a heart attack when I robbed the bank, I thought only people died in bank robberies by getting shot."

When you rob a bank, you're intending to cause harm. You intend to cause financial harm to the bank, and you're prepared to cause physical harm to the customers. This guy wasn't intending to cause the boy's death.

Maybe the parents would've been sleeping in the living room? Maybe the landlord wouldn't have rented to a family of 4 in a smaller apartment. Maybe if the jaywalker started drinking earlier in the day, this would've sped up the timeline of the events of the day and the kids wold've been at school.

Maybe you should stop playing what if and admit this landlord is at blame instead of trying to excuse him, because the fact is if he didn't illegally convert a porch the little boy wouldn't have been sleeping in the room and would not have died in this accident.

Maybe if the landlord hadn't of converted the porch, the bus would've just crashed into an empty porch while the boys were sleeping somewhere else. Fact. Stop trying to excuse it!

When I lived in a small apartment, I slept in the living room with my brother and father. How do you know this family wouldn't have had the same setup?

Yes, the landlord is partially to blame, but he's not a "scumbag" just because he illegally converted the house. Legally, he's partially responsible for the damage. Morally and ethically, he didn't intend to cause harm, and he didn't think he was putting the family in danger.

There was an NJT driver who fell asleep and crashed the bus. He's not a bad person because he came into work tired. He thought "Oh, it's just one trip. I can make it", and then next thing you know, he crashes the bus. Or better yet, those Chinatown companies that had the crashes. The driver wasn't thinking "Ah, screw the passengers because I have to get paid". They figured they could finish the run safely. It's the same deal here.

When you rob a bank, you're intending to cause harm.

Not true. There are people who rob banks and convience stores without intending to harm anyone, you have never heard of anyone robbing a place with a fake wepon or even a candy bar? These people are intending harm someone without a real gun? Also, even with a real gun can you tell me 100% of the time that people are going to start shooting once something goes wrong intead of running out? Of you can't tell me that.

You intend to cause financial harm to the bank, and you're prepared to cause physical harm to the customers.

That's a stretch, of course someone robbing a bank is inteding finacial harm. But physical harm? No.

If you want to go down this road we can say that a landlord intentially renting out an illegal apartment is inending to harm public safety.. ;)

This guy wasn't intending to cause the boy's death.

If you get drunk and drive home you may intend to kill someone. But if you get rearended by a sober driver and he dies guess who's going to prison? ;) You. They will say if you weren't on the road and breaking the law by being on the road this accident would've never happened.

One of the companies I contract with brought in an expert on DOT Hours of Service and showed us an example of of the dangers of operating beyounf our legal hours. A truck driver in PA (I think?) was an hour away from home and already drove all of the legal hours he could for the day. Long story short, he got rearended by a drunk driver, yea drunk in a car ramming into a trailer, the guy died. The truck driver ended up going to prision because he legally shouldn't have been on the road. The other guy might have been drunk but in the laws the truck driver was responsible for his death because if he wasn't vilating thge law and on the road the accident never would have happened.

How is this any differnt? A boy was sleeping in the room the landlord violated the law by converting. If he had not have violated the boy would not be sleeping in the room and would not have dies.

When I lived in a small apartment, I slept in the living room with my brother and father. How do you know this family wouldn't have had the same setup?

I don't know the family wouldn't have had the same set up and neither do you.

Yes, the landlord is partially to blame, but he's not a "scumbag" just because he illegally converted the house.

Like I said in my last post IMHO the landlord is a scumbag, if you don't agree that's fine but it's not going to change my opinion!

Legally, he's partially responsible for the damage. Morally and ethically, he didn't intend to cause harm, and he didn't think he was putting the family in danger.

You don't know what he was thinking, or what his intentions were. But if he intentially rented an apartment that is illegal that contradicts what you said. No one is out to intentiially harm a family like you say but these apartments are illegal for a reason, because they are DANGEROUS not because the town doesn't want people to have inexpensive housing.

There was an NJT driver who fell asleep and crashed the bus. He's not a bad person because he came into work tired

You have no idea he came into work tired. A driver can can strat fallig alseep for other reasons than coming into work tired...

He thought "Oh, it's just one trip. I can make it", and then next thing you know, he crashes the bus.

You have no idea what the driver was thinking, you also have no idea if he pushed himselfo once (IF) he knew he was getting tired.

Or better yet, those Chinatown companies that had the crashes. The driver wasn't thinking "Ah, screw the passengers because I have to get paid". They figured they could finish the run safely. It's the same deal here.

Again you have no idea what these drivers were thinking or knew what they "figured" they could do.

You really need to stop assuming and playing "what if" What really had happened is the child was sleeping in the ilegally converted room, if it had not been for the landlord violatig the law the boy would be alive. No need to play what if, or analyze a thousand scenarios about what could have happened, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED...!!!

That's a stretch, of course someone robbing a bank is inteding finacial harm. But physical harm? No.

If you want to go down this road we can say that a landlord intentially renting out an illegal apartment is inending to harm public safety.. ;)

It's one family, not the public.

I don't know the family wouldn't have had the same set up and neither do you.

My point is don't assume that the boy would've automatically been in a back room or something if the illegal room wasn't added.

You don't know what he was thinking, or what his intentions were. But if he intentially rented an apartment that is illegal that contradicts what you said. No one is out to intentiially harm a family like you say but these apartments are illegal for a reason, because they are DANGEROUS not because the town doesn't want people to have inexpensive housing.

People don't think these dangers are real. That's my point. The landlord is thoughtless and shortsighted, but that doesn't make him a scumbag.

You have no idea he came into work tired. A driver can can strat fallig alseep for other reasons than coming into work tired...

Such as....?

You have no idea what the driver was thinking, you also have no idea if he pushed himselfo once (IF) he knew he was getting tired.

If the driver knew he was getting tired, he should've pulled over at a rest stop and took a short nap to get his energy levels up.

You really need to stop assuming and playing "what if" What really had happened is the child was sleeping in the ilegally converted room, if it had not been for the landlord violatig the law the boy would be alive. No need to play what if, or analyze a thousand scenarios about what could have happened, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED...!!!

You just said that if the home wasn't illegally converted, the boy would still be alive. You don't know that for a fact. You don't know where the boy would be sleeping if it wasn't for that converted room.

---------------------------------------------------

In any case, my point is that from a legal standpoint, yes, the landlord is partially responsible. But from an ethical standpoint, he's not a "scumbag", because he wasn't sitting saying "I know this is an obvious danger, and yet I'm going to rent it out anyway". I don't think his comments about the boy were just a "sob story".

This is pointless. You're not going to change your mind and I'm not changing mine, so let's agree to disagree.

It's one family, not the public.

One family is part of the public, by renting illegal apartments you are harming the public as a whole.

My point is don't assume that the boy would've automatically been in a back room or something if the illegal room wasn't added.

Your telling me not to assume, but I should listen to all of your other assumptions about what could've happened? LMAO! OK!

People don't think these dangers are real.

People may not think the dangers are real but there are a reason these places are illeal, and why people should follw the code and not do as they want, because the dangers are rel. That is my point.

That's my point. The landlord is thoughtless and shortsighted, but that doesn't make him a scumbag.

And as I already said (multiple times) in my opinion the landlord is a scumbag, and again my opinion is not going to be changed.

Such as....?

Fatigue' date=' drinking coffee or engergy drinks can cause the body to crash later on, a hot bus could make a driver sleepy, bordum - the human body is not meant to sit in traffic hours behind a wheel. The human body needs physical and/or mental stimulation or some peoples body can basically say "F, this, if you are not going to use me for anything useful, I'm going to sleep so I can be ready for when we need to do something."

If the driver knew he was getting tired, he should've pulled over at a rest stop and took a short nap to get his energy levels up.

You don't know what the driver was thinking and I personally don't think anyone makes a decision to knowing go on when they are tired. Falling a sleep is an automatic response and a lot of the time people are unaware they are falling asleep.

What incident are you specifically reffering to? I can't really comment anymore without knowing what you are talking about.

Ironically heard what happened to a driver who did that. Pulled over in a rest area because he needed sleep and didn't want to endanger his passengers. Do you know what the passengers did after insulting him in many ways including cursing and screaming at him? When there demands to continue weren't met they called the state police. lol Some people are rediculous, they don't want the driver to kill them but god forbid the driver has to stop so he won't kill them and they act like animals!

You just said that if the home wasn't illegally converted, the boy would still be alive. You don't know that for a fact. You don't know where the boy would be sleeping if it wasn't for that converted room.

Nothing you are saying are facts just assumptions, you don't know anything for a fact of what could've happened. All we know for a facyt is what did happen.

---------------------------------------------------

In any case, my point is that from a legal standpoint, yes, the landlord is partially responsible. But from an ethical standpoint, he's not a "scumbag", because he wasn't sitting saying "I know this is an obvious danger, and yet I'm going to rent it out anyway". I don't think his comments about the boy were just a "sob story".

We've gone over this. IMO morally ethically he is definitely a scumbag. And again he rented out something that was illegal, they are illegal for a reason whether or not he intentially meant to put anyone in danger is irrelevant he disregarded laws meant to keep people safe.

This is pointless. You're not going to change your mind and I'm not changing mine, so let's agree to disagree.

Not trying to change your mind, don't care to, trying to show you the flaw in your thinking but you are incapable of seeing. You are hell bent on assumptions and what if's. We know what happened , but you want to play what if. What if the ilegal porch wasn't converted, maybe the boy would have been sleeping in the living room. What if the boys paents didn't come to the US in the first place? Maybe the boy would have been sleeping in the living room. Minus one bedroom maybe a landlord wouldn't have rented to a family of four. What if college students rented the place? What if they were having a party? 20 college students on the porch could have been killed.

You are hell bent on the fact that they could've been killed if they were sleeping in the living room, are you certain. Remember if this porch was never converted it would have been a porch, it would have crashed through the same structure - but a porch. Do you get that? Did you assume the porch would be a living room? It would have been a porch, so if it the bus ran through the porch, why are you hell bent that on the fact that a sleeping boy could've died in the living room if the bus crashed through the porch?

What if the parents were sleeping in the living room?

Stop playing what if!!! We know what happened. A landlord illegally converted a porch into a bedroom, a boy died in that bedroom, the landlord is responsible. Follow the bouncing ball.... But what if aliens land, it doesn't matter. I'm not trying to change your opinion, but open up your eyes why are you trying to make so many excuses for this guy?

Maybe the aliens put the boy back in the porch and the bright light from the UFO had blinded the approaching NICE bus driver and caused him to crash into the house. Jokes aside, this is another example of how serious reforms to business in this country need to be made.

Where's the damn facepalm when you need one?

I'm not talking about who is responsible. Yes, the landlord is partially responsible, but from a moral standpoint, he's not a scumbag. Yes, the fact that he added the illegal room may have caused the boy's death. But that doesn't make him a scumbag.

(and again) In my opinion he is a scumbag (and again) that is my opinion (and yet again) my opinion is not going to change.

and as you said before...

I think the landlord is a scumbag for this, you don't. I'm not going to change my opinion and you're not going to change yours.

Can we stop this now?

(Arguing with someone online about whether or not someone may or may not be a scumbag, this is what my life has become. FML :( )

You guys are going to get this trend locked.

We are being cordial to each other, there is no reason to lock a thread. We had a difference of opinion neither of us are going to change our opinion so it's pretty much over. If people not agreeing were was soley enough to lock a thread no forums would exist, well may some lame ones.

You may want to want to check out PinePowerHatesNICE.com and thier satellite weallhatenice.com/anditspasswordprotectedsoweallagree

Maybe the aliens put the boy back in the porch and the bright light from the UFO had blinded the approaching NICE bus driver and caused him to crash into the house. Jokes aside, this is another example of how serious reforms to business in this country need to be made.

I meant in terms of safety vs money.

What does that have to do with this topic?

Archived