the Making of the Die Hard w/vengence subway scene

pelhamlocal

Anyone who uses the real station on the Clark Street branch wishes it was that big...

At first I was thinking it was somewhere on the system. I'm reading now that the station where those redbirds were proped was actually constructed at a former manufacturing plant somewhere out of state.

Love the diehard movies those movies are timeless IMHO.

A bit off topic but does anyone remember the diehard trilogy game for the playstation back in the days if anyone ever owned one or if you ever played it on an emulator, for it's time during the late, late 90's that game was the joint. used to play it alot causing wreck with the two semi automatics hand in hand blasting away. Old school but that was one fun game.

I'll rip a scene from the DVD behind the scenes - I forget exactly what type of cars they used, but in addition to the stunt car on the swingarm that crashed through the platform, they also had a short train that was functional and a short length of track that extended past the prop station.

They had taken the traction motors out of the trucks and replaced them with chevy 357' engines (!). McTeirnan talks about how much fun he had just driving the thing up and down the set track, and I don't doubt him at all... sounds like a full scale train set.

You can see in the picture that the stunt car was built on a platform with a mechanical swing arm that allowed it to swing out onto the platform. If you look closely in the film you can see the beam structure holding the car up pretty clearly inside the damn thing. (Now, as for the factual possibility of that scene, I'm pretty sure the laws of physics would take issue with a subway car lifting off the trucks, hopping the platform, and careening, sideways, through several dozen columns - but it is a rather cool scene to watch :-D )

Archived