Congress considers getting rid of dollar bills for $1 coins to save money

Shortline Bus

There was many flaws with the presidential dollar series. Unfortunate to see the remaining series not go into circulation.

By any chance are you collecting the 2010-2021 series of quarters?

They have another series. When was somebody going to tell me? :o

I definitely have a full set of 50, and I think I'm pretty sure I have two other sets of 50. Then there are a few more books worth that have like half the states filled up. The problem is that some states are really rare (like Alaska & Hawaii), while other ones are plentiful (like Virginia). I assume a lot of it has to do with the fact that they minted the states in the order they joined the Union, so it's easier to find the older ones.

I wish I could collect some of the dollar coins, but I don't get them too often. Whenever I need a MetroCard, I just get a $10 or $20 MetroCard, and I don't go into NJ that often, so I don't get a lot of them as change. (On a side note, whenever you get the change from the machine, the coins always come out scalding hot. I wonder what's up with that. Maybe part of the mechanism involves shooting out the coins, and the friction heats them up or something).

I would be fine with them getting rid of the dollar bill, as long as they start making $5, $10 and $20 coins. Im not carrying 15 dollar coins in my wallet every day...

Or what they should do is just get rid of the dollar bill and replace it with a coin, but keep the other bills. That would make the most sense.

And to add on with this talk of coins, I used to be a wheat penny collector, I still have a 1909 VDB penny.

I don't think this measure would've changed anything but the $1 bill. And like I said, they should get more people aware of the $2 bills. That way you wont have to lug so many coins around.

Yes, I have some of those 1900s pennies as well. Was it 1913 it changed to the familiar lincoln memorial at the back?

I definitely have a full set of 50, and I think I'm pretty sure I have two other sets of 50. Then there are a few more books worth that have like half the states filled up. The problem is that some states are really rare (like Alaska & Hawaii), while other ones are plentiful (like Virginia). I assume a lot of it has to do with the fact that they minted the states in the order they joined the Union, so it's easier to find the older ones.

I wish I could collect some of the dollar coins, but I don't get them too often. Whenever I need a MetroCard, I just get a $10 or $20 MetroCard, and I don't go into NJ that often, so I don't get a lot of them as change. (On a side note, whenever you get the change from the machine, the coins always come out scalding hot. I wonder what's up with that. Maybe part of the mechanism involves shooting out the coins, and the friction heats them up or something).

What I would do is get a $25 roll from the bank and take 1 or 2 coins, and return them for another stack of $25 (and an extra $2 or however many to cover what you took). For me I already missed the earlier presidents and it seemed to take longer than a month for the next batch to go out, so I just quit.

How is saving $4.4 billion over 30 years going to help solve the $16 trillion deficit that we need solved now?

It's a start and I'm a believer in 'every little bit helps'. How many people can pay off their debt in a lump sum. It takes time. Personally, I'm fine with the coins. I like them more than the bill anyway.

So that's what it is... We got a couple coin collectors here.....

I have a few rare coins my great grandmother gave me, but collecting money never really piqued my interest enough to actively start a collection (although back in the day I used to watch when the coin collector's segment on HSN late nights)... Stamps I never got into at all.... My thing was sports card collecting.... Had a little sword collection also after I stopped collecting cards.....

Yeah for a time I collected baseball and some NBA cards, but I think my interest peaked in HS around 2000. Lately I've been collecting diecast metal toys of some military planes (F15, F22 etc. if you know matchbox sized toys, that's how big they are, nothing big and pretty decent: $~4). If it's not one thing, it's an addiction somewhere else lol.

Out here on the West Coast is opposite. Rarely do I find East Coast state quarters (though Virginia is the most common), whereas Alaska & Hawaii are common. Even finding "P" mints California's and other West Coast states here.

Regarding the TMV and coins, thermal paper is used to print the tickets, so likely the coins are stored near the printing mechanism.

It's a start and I'm a believer in 'every little bit helps'. How many people can pay off their debt in a lump sum. It takes time. Personally, I'm fine with the coins. I like them more than the bill anyway.

True.

Are there any S for San Fran? That I never see and wonder if the mint there is still operating. D, I know is Denver and I have some of them. I tend to keep the D ones if I have to choose b/w which one to use in circulation.

The San Francisco location only mints collectors sets now, if I recall correctly.

I would be fine with them getting rid of the dollar bill, as long as they start making $5, $10 and $20 coins. Im not carrying 15 dollar coins in my wallet every day...

Or what they should do is just get rid of the dollar bill and replace it with a coin, but keep the other bills. That would make the most sense.

And to add on with this talk of coins, I used to be a wheat penny collector, I still have a 1909 VDB penny.

Hey in Canada they have a dollar coin called the looney (not from the Bugs Bunny cartoon series) lol so maybe it could work in the USA. :D

Archived