How Much Credit Does MTA Chairman Lhota Deserve Regarding Sandy?

BrooklynBus

He deserves zero credit. Transit, LIRR, MNRR and SIR front line employees deserve all the credit. They were the ones out there that made recovery quick. Especially MoW employees. Front line employees were the ones working 16 hr shifts, staying away from their families.

Of course, the public forgot about this quicker than Lindsay lohan relapsing from rehab and will vilianize us when it comes to talks about wage increases.

He deserves zero credit. Transit, LIRR, MNRR and SIR front line employees deserve all the credit. They were the ones out there that made recovery quick. Especially MoW employees. Front line employees were the ones working 16 hr shifts, staying away from their families.

Of course, the public forgot about this quicker than Lindsay lohan relapsing from rehab and will vilianize us when it comes to talks about wage increases.

Hey being fair you guys could Jay Walder back. You are speaking from a TWU member that dislikes any (MTA) chair. If you noticed at least I say both Lhota and you guys *equally* deserve props. This is only about the storm and not anything else.

FYI. It seems Lhota also did long 12-hour plus shifts. Did you notice at some of the press conference how tired he looked.

If you notice in the article, I did not answer the question because I do not know the answer. He does deserve some credit but not nearly as much as the workers who did the work. All I said was " not as much as you may think."

Bingo. Of Course the (MTA) deserves credit for their handling of Sandy, most (meaning 80%)goes of the standing ovations should go to the employees and even middle level managers. At same time to give none to Lhota is also not being fair and objective. Alan aka Brooklyn Bus echoed the comment I was looking for. So Julio and our brothers/sisters (MTA) workers dont worry we gave all of you props lol.

Bingo. Of Course the (MTA) deserves credit for their handling of Sandy, most (meaning 80%)goes of the standing ovations should go to the employees and even middle level managers. At same time to give none to Lhota is also not being fair and objective. Alan aka Brooklyn Bus echoed the comment I was looking for. So Julio and our brothers/sisters (MTA) workers dont worry we gave all of you props lol.

Exactly.

That's why I don't think Sandy is any reason why he should run for mayor. I hope he chooses not to, not because he isn't capable, but the MTA can't afford the loss of stability right now. If he cares at all about the MTA, he will stay exactly where he is. If he does choose to step down, I hope future contracts penalize chairmen who leave before their contract ends. The contracts should work both ways.

Since most of you are tired of the Sandy thread in off topic section let me repost all of the area political leader grades.

Here link. http://www.nyctransi...t/page__st__400

So now that the storm passed I offer my unbias grades for area political leaders handling of Sandy.

Mayor Bloomberg- (C)-minus-The only reason it was not a failure was because the death toll in NYC was low for a historic and powerful storm like Sandy. However for 1)not ordering evacuations sooner in hard hit areas like Staten Island, Breezy Point/Rockaways, Coney Island and Red Hook, bring his grade down. 2)Ditto for wanting to run the NYC marathon until public pressure scrapped his plans. 3)Not imposing HOV restrictions for cars coming to/from Manhattan right after the storm also brings down his grade.

While not the fisaco as the Post Christmas 2010 Blizzard, Sandy was not Bloomberg's finest hour.

Governor Andrew Cuomo- (C)-While he did a good job in having frequent press conferences, his downfall The LIPA fiscaso post storm.

Governor Chris Christie- (A) minus-I am not a big fan of his personality but being fair, he was by far the biggest star of handling this storm as an elected offical. He was on top of the ball in ordering evacuations by Thursday a full 2-3 days before Sandy basically destroyed the Jersey Shore. Without his actions, thousands would have died. Plus putting aside his partisan afflations to work with Obama also shows he gets results.

MTA Boss Joe Lhota & his employees- (A)-To basically have much of the subway system and most of the LIRR/Metro North within 5 days after mega flooding and trees all over tracks and streets is nothing short of brillliant.

LIPA management (F)-Plus for mega Fail! :angry: Granted this was a historic storm but still a month after it hit to still have a couple of hundred customers without power is insane.

Con Edision (C) At least all of NYC and Westchester County had power within a week after the storm.

Reactions?

I would give Bloomy a D, because he was originally trying to have a marathon after the storm. He then said that the "marathon won't divert resourses from relief efforts because we can get people from places not affected by Sandy." Um, Mr. Mayor, every corner of NYC was affected by Sandy. I would give ConEd a B because they were making a good faith effort to restore power. Were they perfect? No, but they were making an effort unlike LIPA. I would give Cuomo an "incomplete" until he finishes dealing with LIPA. That being said these grades are quite fair.

I would give Bloomy a D, because he was originally trying to have a marathon after the storm. He then said that the "marathon won't divert resourses from relief efforts because we can get people from places not affected by Sandy." Um, Mr. Mayor, every corner of NYC was affected by Sandy.

I would give ConEd a B because they were making a good faith effort to restore power. Were they perfect? No, but they were making an effort unlike LIPA. I would give Cuomo an "incomplete" until he finishes dealing with LIPA.

Agree w/ you about mayor moneybags....

Con Ed.... Hell, any of the power companies should be given an [A] in comparison to LIPA; that's how bad they handled the situation out in LI... Yes Con Ed made better efforts (I'll give them that), but as was alluded to by someone in this thread earlier, you also have to factor in timeliness.....

Anytime LIPA is mentioned, it's never good news. I wonder how long those morons were running the company before they finally stepped down?

I don't know. There are lots of people who love to get paid over $100K a year to be incompetent, and I guess many of those people in LIPA.

Con Ed.... Hell, any of the power companies should be given an [A] in comparison to LIPA; that's how bad they handled the situation out in LI... Yes Con Ed made better efforts (I'll give them that), but as was alluded to by someone in this thread earlier, you also have to factor in timeliness.....

It's true that Long Island may have been hit harder than NYC, so LIPA may have had a much bigger job on its hands than Con Ed. Also, Con Ed has many of its lines underground and less vulnerable. So one might expect it for LIPA to take longer to restore their power. But their true failure in my opinion was not so much the length of time they took to restore power, but their failure in communicating with the public by not providing information. I think that is what really frustrated the public. Had they said right off how long it would take, and were correct, the public might have understood. But they weren't even reachable for weeks following the storm providing little if any information.

Actually Mayor moneybags is really this guy lol.

I'd give Christie a (B) at best - because NJT a lot of NJT's equipment to get damaged at MMC when the eastern part of the Morristown Line and the Montclair Line could have been used for storage, along with the Raritan west of Aldene.

On topic of Lhota, however, I give Cuomo more of the credit as he was proactive on this and as such, damage was limited to actual infrastructure with only 2 push-pull trainsets being damaged. Lhota does deserve credit, however, as he asked repeatedly for the worst-case scenario to be run and moved all of the equipment out of harm's way.

Well my rely Moreira. And since we were doing grade evaulation in thread Alan aka Brooklyn Bus about our region political, transit and utilitiy companies fares for Sandy i say this. Weinstein get a (C) minus grade. I know some ppl. want to discredit Gov. Christie but IMO he does little in terms of hand on decision making on mass transit issues.

Only reason Weinstein does not get a (F) grade was that like (MTA) Chairman Lhota across the Hudson with his system, Weinstein was able to get his trains, buses and light rail fairly quick. However losing 300 cars at a time NJT is getting at or near record ridership is a huge downer.

Archived