Photos of suspect in fatal subway push

Abba

OK, there's some buzz going around that the "victim" was drunk in this case, and started the argument. If this is true, while I don't want to jump to conclusions I do sympathize with the "perpetrator", if he was defending himself against a man who was impaired and didn't know what he was doing, while the push may have been too hard, etc. I can see why it escalated.

Not that I believed him in the first place, but here's some more proof that he wasn't just trying to alert the T/O: http://www.imediaeth...bway_photo_.php

As for Han, I don't think anybody mentioned it, but his best hope would've been to lay down on the trackbed, or start running away from the train (It was on the southbound platform, so he should've run southbound). But I guess since he was drunk, he wasn't able to think about any of that.

It would be nice if it turned out like this (and that was at the beginning of the station when the train first comes in, so that woman was really lucky)

Based on the picture of him sitting down on the tracks, there was enough time for someone to get to street level and make a phone call to have the train stopped if you ask me.

The 911 call would have to be relayed to the MTA or whatever to get the tower to signal the trains to stop. I kinda doubt all that could be done in under 1 minute.

Also, if the man was drunk, what if somebody had gone down to the tracks to help him? If he was drunk, instead of thinking that the man was trying to save him by pushing him under the train, he might've thought he was trying to injure him, and he could've fought back, killing both himself, and the person trying to help him.

The 911 call would have to be relayed to the MTA or whatever to get the tower to signal the trains to stop. I kinda doubt all that could be done in under 1 minute.

Caller: There's a guy on the tracks at 49 St

*911 Dispatcher calls RCC*

RCC over radio: All trains on the Broadway line, proceed with caution entering 49 St, we have a report of a 12-10 at 49 St.

you don't think that can be done in a minute? I typed this whole thing in under a minute!

RCC over radio: All trains on the Broadway line, proceed with caution entering 49 St, we have a report of a 12-10 at 49 St.

you don't think that can be done in a minute? I typed this whole thing in under a minute!

Remember that it was only about a minute from the time the guy fell on the tracks to the time the train ran him over. The guy would have to run up to the token booth clerk (because there's no cell phone service down there), the clerk would have to call 911 (or call RCC directly), and tell them to have the trains slow down at 49th Street. By that time, the train would've already been in the station anyway.

Well alright, I figured it would take some time for the calls to be transferred from one line to another, and then to the end. Wasn't aware it could be done that fast. The more you know...

Interesting thought is to put one of those MTA help machines at 23 and Brooklyn Bridge onto the rest of the system. However, three buttons instead of two. One for help, one emergency and one button that instantly tells that there is a passenger on tracks. No time is needed to connect a operator and instantly a dispatcher would just relay something like this

"Attention 6th Avenue, we have unconfirmed reports of 12-10 at 42 St. Repeat, unconfirmed reports of 12-10 at 42. All trains enter at 15 mph or slower"

Also, if the man was drunk, what if somebody had gone down to the tracks to help him? If he was drunk, instead of thinking that the man was trying to save him by pushing him under the train, he might've thought he was trying to injure him, and he could've fought back, killing both himself, and the person trying to help him.

Something like that happened to me (for the record) where there was a intoxicated man who just about fell on the tracks on the (L) (I say intoxicated because now I think he could have been on heroin, not alcohol). I grabbed him and dragged him into the center of the platform. CBTC is not platform jumper friendly.

Yeah you can be held legally liable but there are good samaritian laws I believe that protects the samaritian from being sued. I don't know if it can be applied to this situation as the clauses usually are applied to people who are off-duty/off-site medical providers or civilians trained in CPR.

To add: Maybe this was posted already but check this out, man falls on tracks at bowling green but in this case random NYers stepped in and saved his life. THAT's how it should be.

That cameraman in the incident being discussed, that was what he should have done instead of taking tourist pics of a man facing a horrid death...

Link with video : http://abclocal.go.c...york&id=8912740

Interesting thought is to put one of those MTA help machines at 23 and Brooklyn Bridge onto the rest of the system. However, three buttons instead of two. One for help, one emergency and one button that instantly tells that there is a passenger on tracks. No time is needed to connect a operator and instantly a dispatcher would just relay something like this

"Attention 6th Avenue, we have unconfirmed reports of 12-10 at 42 St. Repeat, unconfirmed reports of 12-10 at 42. All trains enter at 15 mph or slower"

and I'm sure there is zero chance that kids with nothing better to do will spend the day pushing those buttons and sending out false alerts.

Archived