For those that went to college? Do you still owe on your student loans?

Shortline Bus

This question is designed for those who are currently in college/higher education and business school? Or in my case went to higher education years ago? Do you still owe on your student loans? Bring it up since there was a story about the current youngest member of the US Senate, Marco Rubio just paying off $150,000 loans from his undergrad/law school loans?

In this continued crappy economy, do you feel it's worth it?

Here the comment from Sen. Rubio in article.

http://news.yahoo.co...--election.html

LOL... Yeah, I still have about $25,000 left to pay off. I had 4 loans originally and just paid off two of them earlier this year that was about $4,000. The other one has been paid down a bit but I didn't feel like being bothered with it for a while so I did everything but pay it down... The thing is they're locked in at 2% so I figure my money would be better put to work saving for retirement where I could perhaps make more off of the money I put in. For the most part I say $25,000 isn't too bad when I analyze everything because my last semester alone was a good $20,000 since that was done in Europe, much of which I had to pay for myself out of my own pocket since I only qualified for so much financial aid, grants, etc.

Oh god. I am fighting out of debt because of school loans.

Yes it is worth it. As an example there is a serious brain drain in the IT industry among many things (like technical skills and experience) a skilled professional with a Bachelor's are in demand (like IT certifications) but there are hardly and qualified to fill the positions.

Its definitely worth it. But many people forget to get college degrees according to projected in job market. (Like Nursing or something)

To add, Asia. Countries such as Pakistan, There is a heavy presence of US troops still there and taking it day by day risking their lives. Pakistan is a very, very dangerous country to be in, either as military personnel or civilian I'm sure. I've read that the violence there in recent times and now, was even worse then what is going on in Iraq.

To add, Asia. Countries such as Pakistan, There is a heavy presence of US troops still there and taking it day by day risking their lives. Pakistan is a very, very dangerous country to be in, either as military personnel or civilian I'm sure. I've read that the violence there in recent times and now, was even worse then what is going on in Iraq.

And that an issue for poorer hs students who want to college w/o some form of scholarship. An Ivy League education (including grad schools such as law and medical schools)is now about $250,000. Even so called "public colleges" which in NY are CUNY and SUNY schools are now approaching the price of buying a new house.

This what makes it tough to even go to college. You say go to a SUNY college take out $25,000 in loans. Then if your degree is in a field w/ lack of jobs after you end up after getting your bachelor's, you now see regularly college grads end up working as an Asst. Manager at Target. Sad but true.

This what makes it tough to even go to college. You say go to a SUNY college take out $25,000 in loans. Then if your degree is in a field w/ lack of jobs after you end up after getting your bachelor's, you now see regularly college grads end up working as an Asst. Manager at Target.

.....Or over there on union square selling their "artwork" and/or playing some musical instrument & becoming freegans for sustenance to try to conjure up every penny they can....

[quote name='Shortline Bus' timestamp='1354

Nope, all paid off.... Nice load off my shoulders.....

Wish I was in your shoes right now. I'm still trying to pay everything off and am still backed up with bills. To the point that with bill collectors I'm just casting it to the side not even bothering to open it (exasperated with these collectors). It's just sitting in a pile. I goit fed up.

I was ready to file for bankruptcy but many ppl advised me against it.

I'm trying to work out with my lenders to see if I can pay smaller installments for that tuition bill. That's my current task to be completed. I already cut up my credit cards a good time ago now.

Life is tough. But it's partly my fault as I was careless when I was in college with my money and credit and now I am sorely paying for it. I tell you kids being in debt is a trap. Ten years later you could be in so much debt you will find yourself very limited as to your purchasing power because your credit is hopelessly shot. Take it from us.

I worked my butt off in college for a few scholarships that helped out a lot.

Anyone looking into college, work your butt off in high school so you can get scholarships for college. They are a huge bonus. Also look for things called grants, as you don't pay those back and many are merit-based.

I worked my butt off in college for a few scholarships that helped out a lot.

Anyone looking into college, work your butt off in high school so you can get scholarships for college. They are a huge bonus. Also look for things called grants, as you don't pay those back and many are merit-based.

I agree... I got one myself but I was told by the honors department that had I approached them earlier they couldn't done more for me than they did.

My rule for college when I send kids there: never pay more than you can afford for a college; if you are in debt when graduating, you've failed my course.

That's just not smart at all. In my case I didn't ask my parents for anything to go to college. I took care of the expenses for my books and whatever else wasn't covered through financial aid or student loans. I paid most of my expenses out of my own pocket, particularly my last year when I moved to study in Italy and I only finished with about $30,000k in student loans, which isn't too bad at all. I went to a SUNY college for most of the years here in US and then went to a small international school in Florence. If you want to go college, I say don't let student loans deter you. I went to an affordable university in the US, though I will admit that the university in Italy was not cheap at about $20,000.00 for one semester, but it was worth it, plus I got to travel all over the place for a few months when I was done. You really can't put a price on that. I have no regrets about my student loans as they are affordable considering how much I currently earn from my field and have the potential to earn in the future.

Archived