For those that went to college? Do you still owe on your student loans?

Shortline Bus

I went to college, paid for everything out of pocket, and I've still got money left over. None of it even came from my parents (not that I'm against that).

Yeah but the thing is when I was going to school jobs were plentiful. I always had a job during my winter and summer breaks to return to immediately when I came back to the city because the companies I worked with liked me so they always took me on when I came back. Now and days kids don't have that luxury. Many of the jobs that they would work are being taken up by grown ups who can't find jobs that they are specialized in.

I went to college, paid for everything out of pocket, and I've still got money left over. None of it even came from my parents (not that I'm against that).

That's all cool in the game (and there's absolutely nothin wrong with askin your parents to put you through), but as already alluded to, the chances of that happening in today's time is almost slim to none.... Colleges are getting more expensive.... I mean, it's not all that realistic to expect that the kids born after our generation to not have a] some level of debt upon graduation & b] no job/position waiting for them > 6 mos. after graduation..... It's bad enough that there are as many people in our generation (meaning, today's potential [or actual] parents) now struggling to find gainful employment for themselves....

That's all cool in the game (and there's absolutely nothin wrong with askin your parents to put you through), but as already alluded to, the chances of that happening in today's time is almost slim to none.... Colleges are getting more expensive.... I mean, it's not all that realistic to expect that the kids born after our generation to not have a] some level of debt upon graduation & b] no job/position waiting for them > 6 mos. after graduation..... It's bad enough that there are as many people in our generation (meaning, today's potential [or actual] parents) now struggling to find gainful employment for themselves....

Very true... Most of the folks I know from college or high school are employed but not necessarily doing all that great in some cases though a few of my friends are earning okay but not many. Some have even went back to college to pursue another field or get their Master's degree, furthering their debt load. It's funny because being a language major you always get funny looks here in the States because people for the most part here don't realize the importance of languages, nor do they respect them, so once my mom was yacking with someone at a doctor's appointment and she told me that the person she spoke with said that I had chosen a good field and I have to say that even with the ups and downs of the economy I have not had to struggle to find work or getting by. I still can pretty much go out to eat at will, shop at Whole Foods and order out and what have you though now I do try to pay attention to the prices but that's more about making sure I'm not getting ripped off by way of being overcharged. <_<

.....Or over there on union square selling their "artwork" and/or playing some musical instrument & becoming freegans for sustenance to try to conjure up every penny they can....

See... I chose my major out of something I've been doing ever since I first came across a piece of white paper and a pencil. I don't want a job in the art field just because. I do it out of passion. I don't have to look to no one for a job as a digital artist/animator. Self-promotion and getting your skills out there is key!

Anyway... I go to a CUNY college so it isn't much... I don't qualify for financial aid so my parents pretty much foot the bill

Yeah but the thing is when I was going to school jobs were plentiful. I always had a job during my winter and summer breaks to return to immediately when I came back to the city because the companies I worked with liked me so they always took me on when I came back. Now and days kids don't have that luxury. Many of the jobs that they would work are being taken up by grown ups who can't find jobs that they are specialized in.

Yes exactly. Honestly, personal finances are part of what is keeping me from pursuing much else in life. It's hard knowing that once you enter college, you will be screwed for the next 4-8 years. I have been actively looking for employment for nearly three years. I wouldn't be lying if I told you I am worried as hell in regards to how I will fund my education.

Yes exactly. Honestly, personal finances are part of what is keeping me from pursuing much else in life. It's hard knowing that once you enter college, you will be screwed for the next 4-8 years. I have been actively looking for employment for nearly three years. I wouldn't be lying if I told you I am worried as hell in regards to how I will fund my education.

My advice young man (Turbo 19). If you prepared and want to get a job post college where there a high demand for work i.e health care for instance IMO you should go for it. However I would not go to college for low demand job such as cough cough basket weaving lol.

My advice young man (Turbo 19). If you prepared and want to get a job post college where there a high demand for work i.e health care for instance IMO you should go for it. However I would not go to college for low demand job such as cough cough basket weaving lol.

Is there classes for such a career?

See... I chose my major out of something I've been doing ever since I first came across a piece of white paper and a pencil. I don't want a job in the art field just because. I do it out of passion. I don't have to look to no one for a job as a digital artist/animator. Self-promotion and getting your skills out there is key!

Anyway... I go to a CUNY college so it isn't much... I don't qualify for financial aid so my parents pretty much foot the bill

Hmm..... I take it that you're making a separate point here, because that comment of mine you replied to really had nothing to do with art majors.... I highly doubt these transients that set up shop over there by union square were art majors, or have that same passion you do for art.... Those people over there are nothing more than opportunists tryna get a quick buck......

Taking a leak on a piece of paper then smearing fecal matter taken on it there-afterwards barely classifies as art...

And that should be an absolute slap in the face to someone like you that's in school studying in the art field....

(Ok, maybe a bit over the top w/ the analogy, but the point is damn near anything passes for art nowadays)

However I would not go to college for low demand job such as cough cough basket weaving lol.
Is there classes for such a career?

at Shortline: Really giving away your age there.... Lol.....

at Turbo: Lol @ career...

• 2 weeks later...

Guys sorry to bump this. However a very good article in today's NY Times (12/23/12) about how poor students struggle to pay for college especially in this recession era.

http://www.nytimes.c...ss.html?hp&_r=0

Not at all shocking.... Economics will continue be the way in which folks are pushed out from good education and incomes. Even those that achieve the education will find it hard because then it's about who you know, and usually the folks with connections are those that are already affluent even if they aren't the most qualified or the most educated...

Having a family with a father and mother means not only a more balanced structure at home but also more financial stability to help the children in college financially. If kids don't qualify for financial aid, often times the parents have good credit so that they can qualify for private loans for the kids at low interest rates and they can take out HELOCs as well to help so the affluent and the upper middle class families that own homes will continue to have the edge economically. The kids I see out here need to realize that if they don't have their **** together they will continue to be working at Walmart and all of those other little retail places continuing the cycle.

There is no quick answer to being successful aside from hard work.

There is no quick answer to being successful aside from hard work.

Actually I must disagree, but not entirely and not promoting that notion. There is no true FAST way to successful, yes. But in terms of this economy and struggle, networking helps a lot to find the path for succession. Some jobs of mine and friends abroad didn't require a degree but it's always nice to have one.

Archived