Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
6 Lexington Ave

New York City Transit's Wonder Train Car!

[float=left]post-5097-0-83054900-1354811653_thumb.jpg[/float]Ever wonder how New York City Transit inspects its 673 miles of track? Check out the track geometry car! A track geometry car is an automated track inspection train used to test several geometric parameters of the track without obstructing normal subway operations. Some of the parameters generally measured include position, curvature, alignment of the track, smoothness, and the cross level of the two rails. The cars use a variety of sensors, measuring systems, and data management systems to create a profile of the track being inspected.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-83054900-1354811653_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

When they say "The power car houses the engines" do they mean the unit is diesel powered?

Actually, semi related question - often when a work train goes by in an underground station the sound (and smell) make it apparent that it's running on diesel. I know some of the work loco's are dual-mode and some are pure combustion, but are there rules about running engines in the tunnels? I know there's some ventilation, but not much.

Obviously when the 3rd is out of service for construction you'd need to run on an engine of some kind, but I'm talking more about work trains going to and fro passing through in-service stations and tracks.

When they say "The power car houses the engines" do they mean the unit is diesel powered?

Actually, semi related question - often when a work train goes by in an underground station the sound (and smell) make it apparent that it's running on diesel. I know some of the work loco's are dual-mode and some are pure combustion, but are there rules about running engines in the tunnels? I know there's some ventilation, but not much.

Obviously when the 3rd is out of service for construction you'd need to run on an engine of some kind, but I'm talking more about work trains going to and fro passing through in-service stations and tracks.

Every C-division work motor is diesel-powered except for these...

-All garbage motors

-A few work trains (E01-E10). Those actually run on 3rd rail

All I can say then I'm out is that the R59 is an impressive piece of equipment, as a work train, by that standards this train to me (omg shame on me *FOAM*) is vital to assuring track, signal and infrastructure is in good order.

A year ago I caught one on the 42 Street Shuttle Line heading north via 7th Avenue Line.

I've never seen the track geometry cars before, and I only saw a picture of it in Wikipedia. :(

Don't worry you'll catch it before you know it I'm sure in your travels.

TGC1 was R59, Can't remember TGC2's contract. TGC3 and on have to be somewhere in the R1XX neighborhood

Did some searching and TGC2 is actually contract R63 and the overhaul of both of them was contract R136...not sure about TGC3 & TGC4

• Upvote 1