Air Raid Sirens in Brooklyn, NY.

obregonmichael5

So last year me and my uncle was planning to go to Williamsburg pizzeria's and while in willaimsburg we were stuck in the B.Q.E Highway (right next to a red building), and all of a sudden, a siren went off. I thought there was an air raid warning or something, this happen on June 2011. I heard that there was two sirens in brooklyn. One in Crown Heights, and one in Midwood (Jewish School Yeshivah Toras Emes Kamenitz). The siren can be heard all the way till the beginning of queens! They sound off every Friday right before the sunset!

Very interesting. It is amazing how many little cultural enclaves there are hidden throughout the 5 boroughs.

they do this every friday and they're gonna go off tomorrow. These sirens are used as a sabbath warning and blare out 10 minute berfore sabbath or at sabbath. They may Go off every day (on the 8 days of hanukka). I'm not jewish but i found out the information about the siren.

A loud non-emergency siren sounds like disturbance of the peace to me.

And the fact is... that they don't use these as emergencies (not even sandy!). NYC Should have laws about using these as warning to terrorist and natural distasters, not some warning to pray and lite the candles, but who can you blame? anyways to non-jews (plz no offence), it just sound like a nother annoying siren test! and you guys probably already heard it today or gonna hear in a few minutes...

How is this even legal? Its a disturbance of the peace. But of course because they are jews they can get away with pretty much anything. Ive been to neighborhoods on Long Island that are predominatly jewish and they dont have these, they have something called commen sense. They dont need an annoying siren to tell them when sundown is coming. The jews in Brooklyn have to be the worst around when it comes to respecting the people around them.

they arent the ones tagging trains and stations, shooting people, mugging people, throwing people on the tracks, and you think they dont respect people just cuz of some horn that tells them its the sabbath :P

Its more than the horns, thats the least of it. Lets just say they dont get along well with the non-jews who share the community

Its more than the horns, thats the least of it. Lets just say they dont get along well with the non-jews who share the community

you leave out the work organizations like chabad do, which has offices in Brooklyn . They help everyone regardless if they are jewish or not.

My point still stands, they arent the ones trashing the borough like other groups do. They keep to themselves and dont bother anyone, the only people bothered by them are those that choose to be bothered by them.

you leave out the work organizations like chabad do, which has offices in Brooklyn . They help everyone regardless if they are jewish or not.

My point still stands, they arent the ones trashing the borough like other groups do. They keep to themselves and dont bother anyone, the only people bothered by them are those that choose to be bothered by them.

Im not saying they are degrading the neighborhood, but most of them dont show any respect to the non-jews in the area. Maybe its the sect of judaism they observe but they dont treat others and behave the way other jews I know do.

Im not saying they are degrading the neighborhood, but most of them dont show any respect to the non-jews in the area. Maybe its the sect of judaism they observe but they dont treat others and behave the way other jews I know do.

ill give you that, the ultra orthodox keep to themselves, they don't even respect other sects of judiasm including reform judiasm which is the style most jewish people you will meet are a part of. One thing I do admire is how they are able to survive and thrive in some of the worst neighborhoods in the city. Ill never forget seeing one of them walk down Atlantic Ave by East New York station and im thinkin to myself "damn he must be praying really well to wander around down there..."

ill give you that, the ultra orthodox keep to themselves, they don't even respect other sects of judiasm including reform judiasm which is the style most jewish people you will meet are a part of. One thing I do admire is how they are able to survive and thrive in some of the worst neighborhoods in the city. Ill never forget seeing one of them walk down Atlantic Ave by East New York station and im thinkin to myself "damn he must be praying really well to wander around down there..."

Its because they have special treatment from the police. If anything happens to them while walking down the street you can bet any amount of money the police as well as their own private task force will be there and will catch the person. To a criminal they arnt an easy target as opposed to a regular person walking in the same neighborhood alone.

Fort Surrender, anyone?

Usually, the rabbi is at the precinct before the perp even arrives. Once the perp arrives, it's unlikely that they will even be processed. If they are, you bet your ass they won't be staying in the cage, cuffed.

While i've definitely seen some Hasidim act rudely/obnoxiously, drive erraticly, etc, on the whole, I don't see them as being particularly bad. Obviously many of them want to keep to themselves and are probably fairly racist, from what i've seen, but they pretty much keep to themselves. As I've pointed out before, while I'm not jewish, I live in a predominantely jewish part of queens and my jewish neighbors are wonderful to me, so take my opinion with that in mind.

As Foxie pointed out, they have a lot of their own social service organizations and really help keep their neighborhoods safe and clean independently, which is impressive. Many of those organizations were out helping everyone in Brooklyn after Sandy, and have done so for a long time.

For the NYPD thing, when it came to the Crown Heights riots, it definitley wasn't the Hasidim getting special treatment...

I wouldn't be surprised if the sirens happen to be manufactured by Federal Signal. Especially if they are the older mechanical ones. Those can be a massive ear rape.

Since i'm siren smart and post siren to random post a long time ago, the one in Midwood is a sentry 40v1t siren (which was never recorded on any video networks such as youtube and others, and the one in Crown Heights is a Federal Signal STH-10 siren.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived