Vignete News NCC Student Newspaer Article- NOT SO NICE

NCC Teacher Stephanie Sapile, also members of Long Island Bus Riders Union brought article from Student NCC newspaper in Opinion Section to LIBRU meeting.

The Vignette received the following letter from NCC student, Katherine Kassover, addressing Francis Becker, Nassau County Legislature.

Not So NICE Bus

Nassau County Legislature Becker,

At my high school graduation about four months ago, the late Dr. Barbarino, Lynbrook school district's beloved superintendent, gave advise to my graduating class that was very simple yet very valuable: "Help those who need you." I confess that these words meant little to me during Graduation. However, now in experiencing the injustice of the bus company I have witnessed firsthand the urgent need to stop the problems that ensure and help the people who use it. More importantly, the problems that hinder the bus system have spiraled out of control.

I attend Nassau Community College and depends on the NICE bus system every day. As a student it is my responsibility to arrive prompt and ready to all my classes. In addition, it is my responsibility to return home as soon as possible, quickly and efficiently finish my homework, and go to work soon after. However, my responsibilities must wait because it takes me over an hour and a half to get to and from school, on a good day. I hope that as Lynbrook alumi, graduate of Nassau Community College, active member in the Lynbrook community, and as my district's County legislator you will find concern in the problems I face and help me solve the problems in my community as well as yours.

I thoroughly believe the problems of the bus company lie in deficiency, tardiness, and inconsistency. I as a student observe the problems particularly on campus. Looking specifically at the problems of deficiency or the problem of not enough buses, anyone who wants to get home as fast as possible, must be clever enough to know that that first problem to getting home is getting a bus. For example, every day I walk across the campus to the farthest bus stop to ensure that I get on the bus, not including a seat. If I was to wait by the nearest bus stop to my last class, by the time my bus arrived, there whould be no room and I would have no chance of boarding. Therefore I run across the campus because it is my only way of getting on the bus. Even thought I successfully board my bus, it is an awful sight to pass by at least fifty of your peers who wait for a bus which is almost always full.

Meanwhile, I know that could be anyone of those people that wait at that stop for at at least thirty minutes only to be passed by. However, this scenario does not only appear on campus, but also other times when I am trying to get to school. The problems is that all over Nassau County people are trying to get to important places such as their jobs or school and cannot because buses every day pass them. The bus drivers and mass of people are not to blame; they are just doing their jobs as employees and citizens. The blame is attributed to the astonishing budget cut of nine million to just 2.5 million dollars. This is such an extreme cut that only adds to the problems and destitution of the bus system.

Secondly, the problem on tardiness arises. To explain with another personal experience, this Thursday I had a test in my Psychology class. I had studied for the past two days to assure that I do very well. I felt the need to study a little more before class which worked out very well for me. Every Thursday I take bus to school an hour and half before my first class starts so I can guaranteed that I will be early. Since I had expected the bus to be about ten minutes late, the usual delay that occurs every Thursday, I arrived at the bus stop about five miutes before the delay time. Unfortunately, the bus had come on time and I had to wait for the next one that would only come in the next forty minutes. Now I was no longer worried about being able to study; I worried that I would not be at my class to take my test in time. I could have missed the test completely. If my professor was cruel, I could have failed. Luckily, once I arrived at Hempstead terminal to transfer buses I quickly got on N16 and arrived on campus just in time. Yet, once in class and minutes from taking my test, the hours that passed were still in my mind. I believe that my trip to school that day negatively affected my performance on that test.

I have always been one to take school very seriously, and the thought of another entity affecting how I do on my schoolwork other than my own procrastination or laziness, easily angered me. However, I of course was only frustrated with myself. This all leads back to the fact that I arrived late to the bus stop because I had expected the bus to be late. I expect tardiness of the bus system because that is all that it has shown me. While learning about Socrates and the idea of a logical contradiction in my philosophy class, I realized that I have found an example in my life: that day I arrived late to be early.r The bus schedule is easily defined as inconsistent. I think that it is rather silly to even use or look at NICE bus's schedules because the bus rarely follows it. Therefore it is near impossible to make a plan or time one's day. One day you might be five minutes ahead of schedule, the next an hour behind. I am fortunate to have a boss that understands I have school and then transportation before work and does not hold me accountable for the few minutes I may arrive late. However, there are those who are much less fortunate than I and repeatedly get reprimanded for circumstances that are out of their control until they eventually lose their jobs. This comes back to bite the bus company because due to of an increase of people losing their jobs, there is a decrease of people using the bus, and finally a decrease of money flowing into the bus system.

If the County could only recognized the positives that public transportation offers, our economy could receive a nice boost. People who commute to work every day would save plenty of money instead of driving. In addition, an increase of bus use would relieve the carbon footprint we are inflicting on the environment. Ultimately, the bus company is losing millions of dollars every year that traces back to its own roots.

Altogether, the problems and difficulties a rider must face on the bus are factors that I as a witness and the rest of society can no longer ignore. These are the problems that take a toll on a group of people who do not have the means to act on the injustice they face. I declare the bus system to be morally unjust. The shortage of buses for commuters who certainly need the cut buses is a direct cause of the the money that the County has cut. I seem to be personnaly flummoxed by why the County would put so little money into a means of transportation that so many low-income, working class, and hardworking people rely on. To take advantage of a group of Amercians who have a hard time raising their voice disturbs and disappoints me. With difficulty, I am very sad to say that I am beginning to lose faith in the County and also my hometown of Lynbrook. On a brighter side, I have noticed that you are running for Congress and I am proud to hear that someone who has graduated from the same high school and attended the same college as me is in the running to represent me. In few words, this inspires me. However, my disappointment with the County is still alive and growing. I ask you, Legislator Becker, or more suitably, Congressman Becker, if you could represent me as a Lynbrook resident, Nassau Community College student, and most importantly a bus rider, by voting for more money to be put towards the NICE company and its improvements. I hope that you see this is as a moment to "help those who need you."

A response and discussion would be greatly appreciated,

Katherine Kassover.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the story on article.

Taking the bus OUT of NCC is far easier than taking it there. The politicians here do jack shit especially when it comes to anything that isn't driving your own car (other than ripping up streets for bike lanes no one uses) and the only thing she's getting from Becker is some pre-written garbage from his secretary. The only thing that differs here is that she has a job right after school but she has to take the bus. When I went there, my professors were well aware of the woes of their bus-riding students and were more than understanding of their problems.

While the N16x is one of NICE's better ideas along with the 43 extension, some students do use at-risk routes to get to Roosevelt Field or Hempstead and then catch a bus to Nassau from there. The only thing I can say is that she should shut up, take it because it was the same shit under the (MTA) and save up some money for driving lessons because nothing's going to get any better.

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for commenting on my letter. It means a lot to know that my work is generating a conversation. Hence, I feel that it is only fair to comment back. To Joel Up Front, I'd like to admit that I have a few shortcomings in knowing how to deal with the problematic bus company, I don't know every detail of the system, and I don't know everything that is going on in NY state transportation. However, this uncertainty and beginning is where I have room to grow and learn more. Secondly, although you are right that the NCC professors are understanding of bus rider woes, a good student knows that there is no reason to ever be late to class or work. Every day I traveled to school, I took a specific bus to arrive at least forty five minutes early to campus to ENSURE that I wouldn't be late. There is honestly never a just excuse to be late, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be something done to fix the many problems of the NICE bus. Therefore, I apologize, Joel Up Front, but I will not "shut up" or "take it." If you wish to live a life that is silenced or tolerated, that is fine. I choose to do/say a whole lot and speak up despite what seems to be a hopeless situation.

A last thought to those who have commented: The other buses and routes you are speaking of are definitely possible to use instead, however how does anyone figure out this information if you haven't taken the bus for months? You can't rely on the schedules because the buses are always late and you can't receive any helpful information at the transit centers because there is no information desk. You've offered good advice, but how does the next student obtain this information?

Hi Katherine, Happy New Year! Thanks for commenting on our discussion. I believe more people should speak up, because many people plan getting to work , school, appointments, interviews, etc based on schedules of public transportation, the least NICE can do is try to have the buses run on time so riders can get their destinations on time and/or make their transfers, especially in wake of their bus route combining and frequency reductions. Sometimes it just get's out of control and they don't seem to care, the N6 runs every 10 mins generally, I've seen 4-5 buses in row, you know that most of them are definitely late when you see something like that.

As for the elected representatives perhaps RailBus can elaborate more, does NCC have a bus committee or some type of group where this information can be spread throughout the school?

It is not entirely NICE's fault nor was it the (MTA)'s fault under Long Island Bus. Its the traffic in Nassau County as well as the fact that the bus itself doesn't travel that fast on local roads and gets stuck at tons of unsynced traffic lights that Nassau County has in place. Now I don't know specifically how NICE comes up with the times on the bus schedules, but they need to be updated more often than once a year because traffic lights and signs are constantly changing.

I agree that it is not completely the NICE bus's fault, however in any problem it is not ever one entity's fault. Thus, there is still a need for change that you have thankfully offered, Brett.

I am not sure if there is a bus committee on the NCC campus. This past semester was my first semester of college and this upcoming semester I will be starting at Binghamton University, so the student bus rider account I served is over.

Yes, I know Professor Sapiie very well. She has guided me in all the work I have accomplished relating to the bus company. Again, I do not know any updates.

Also the problems do not only lie in the lack of reliable schedules. It is the culmination of problems that creates a greater chaos of the bus system. Not only are buses late, but you have a low chance of even getting on the already full buses. And if you cannot get on your scheduled bus you may have to wait up to forty minutes for the next one. Believe me, it has happened plenty of times to me in the short time I used the bus system.

One thing is true about the students who use the buses on campus : no one likes it. Bus travel is almost always tiresome, unsanitary, and uncomfortable. I am surprised that changes haven't started earlier on campus. Thus, I am shocked that more people haven't spoken, complained, and voiced their opinions of the bus. The problem, I believe, is that less people know, understand, or care about what is going on the NCC campus. Hopefully, that changes soon.

I agree that it is not completely the NICE bus's fault, however in any problem it is not ever one entity's fault. Thus, there is still a need for change that you have thankfully offered, Brett.

I am not sure if there is a bus committee on the NCC campus. This past semester was my first semester of college and this upcoming semester I will be starting at Binghamton University, so the student bus rider account I served is over.

Yes, I know Professor Sapiie very well. She has guided me in all the work I have accomplished relating to the bus company. Again, I do not know any updates.

Also the problems do not only lie in the lack of reliable schedules. It is the culmination of problems that creates a greater chaos of the bus system. Not only are buses late, but you have a low chance of even getting on the already full buses. And if you cannot get on your scheduled bus you may have to wait up to forty minutes for the next one. Believe me, it has happened plenty of times to me in the short time I used the bus system.

One thing is true about the students who use the buses on campus : no one likes it. Bus travel is almost always tiresome, unsanitary, and uncomfortable. I am surprised that changes haven't started earlier on campus. Thus, I am shocked that more people haven't spoken, complained, and voiced their opinions of the bus. The problem, I believe, is that less people know, understand, or care about what is going on the NCC campus. Hopefully, that changes soon.

I think it's safe to say we are all worse off now with NICE Bus than under the (MTA). Unless you're in Massapequa. :P

Veolia has come in and said they could run it for much less than the MTA. But what is cut? Service, labor, and maintanance. The buses are less frequent, and more crowded. Senior drivers retire and are replaced with low wage workers who lack the skill and experience to operate a route properly. Maintanance is reduced, so buses breakdown more. It all boils down to Nassau County and their refusal to fund buses. Veolia sounded like an answer to them, they can pay less and get a similar service. But that's a pipe dream. Our elected officials have let us down. The media (Mocker,etc) have let us down. Despite Nassau being a highly populous suburb, it is treated like the sticks when it comes to public transportation. Had our Governor been a real leader, he would've made sure Nassau paid the MTA, and created MTA Regional Bus to run a seamless public transportation system for NYC and Long Island. But he, like Mangano and every member of the Nassau legislature could care less. The facts are college students are missing classes and ppl losing jobs because NICE can't be bothered to be somewhat reliable. Take today, what if I had to be in Greenvale at 6:30PM? I figure, the 5:27pm n20 in Hicksville will have just over an hour to get there, but it never shows up and being a Sunday schedule, the next one doesn't come until 6:27pm. Bottom line is you used to be able to allow about 40 min extra time, now, you have to allow 2 hours! Bus riders aren't better off with NICE. Keep speaking up. Because the (MTA) needs to come back, the sooner the better, willing to do whatever it takes! ;)

Sounds like she takes the N31/N32 to school. But just because there are a lot of students at the bus stop doesnt mean they're waiting for that particular bus. Are people not using the N43 extension?

n43's are crush loaded to HTC. Just wait till the n35 is only once an hour midday.

Preaching to the choir... sorry.

If it wasn't for Nassau County MTA would have still been pulling the strings instead of NICE. They screwed this one up just to spite those who can't afford the kind of things many were able to afford before our economy went downhill.

It all boils down to money.

If it wasn't for Nassau County MTA would have still been pulling the strings instead of NICE. They screwed this one up just to spite those who can't afford the kind of things many were able to afford before our economy went downhill.

It all boils down to money.

you mean spite those in LI without cars?

It doesn't really matter if (MTA) or NICE is running the system. They both had pros and cons. The problem is the county. NICE could run it the same as (MTA) or even better, no need for the (MTA) to come back. But they do need money for that and guess who has to pay that?

What the rest of the county could do without is having Mango's name on every goddamned bus the county owns. He must still think he's Jesus for "saving" bus riders.

What happens if he doesn't get re-elected this year (thank god)? On the painted buses, how do they get his name off? Spray?

What the rest of the county could do without is having Mango's name on every goddamned bus the county owns. He must still think he's Jesus for "saving" bus riders.

I was just thinking that earlier. I was all like, that makes NICE look so appealing.

What happens if he doesn't get re-elected this year (thank god)? On the painted buses, how do they get his name off? Spray?

LOL.

On a side note, do these quotes look weird to you, and if so, is anyone else experiencing these problems?

Archived