MTA's Vintage Bus Fleet to Hit the Road Again

DJ MC

[float=left]post-5097-0-72078000-1355238016_thumb.jpg[/float]If you're a lover of the city's surface transportation history or just looking to take a ride back in time, come on over to 42nd Street starting this Monday as the (MTA) continues its holiday tradition of placing into service units from its historic bus fleet.

"Putting these buses back out on the street at this time of year is a great way to highlight the history of bus transportation in New York City," said Darryl Irick, President of (MTA) Bus/SVP of MTA Bus. "

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-72078000-1355238016_thumb.jpg

So they're putting them all on the M42, at those same times? (What will they do; make one round trip?) I guess that will make it more likely and quicker to catch something, and not have to wait for one to go around and come back around, not even knowing whether you just missed it or not.

So they're putting them all on the M42, at those same times? (What will they do; make one round trip?) I guess that will make it more likely and quicker to catch something, and not have to wait for one to go around and come back around, not even knowing whether you just missed it or not.

No - according to a poster on another board, there are six vintage buses that will operate. Each day, one bus will run on the M42 and one each will be on display at 6th & 35th and at Union Square. The other three will be spare buses. Hopefully they will rotate them through these daily assignments.

I miss when they had the museum buses rotated through the boroughs.

Always on the M42 is just the same *sigh

Didn't that backfire big time with all the issues with the buses not being road worthy or having to deal with hills, etc? Plus even though we bus fans are the main people that would care enough to go to the specific lines in other boroughs to chase them, I don't think it was a great idea to have the buses so spread out. I think [as bad as it is] to have everything Manhattan centric. At least keep them on the short crosstown lines. What they should've done was run them on the M14/23/34 in addition to the M42 to mix it up. That would've been ideal. I think the Q32 would've been nice, but it is kinda long though and of course it's now based solely from CS.

What's the "special Staten Island express bus" lol

I don't know where the O P'er got that a Staten Island express bus would be running. Nowhere in any press release is that stated. These kind of statements start rumors. "I heard the the first of the SI express will be running......."

Furthermore that would be a terrible idea, as far as I know never done before, and this would restrict passenger movement throughout the bus.

Finally, these buses are not able to handle pounding the road, high speeds on a regular route. That was tried a couple of years ago and road failures were abundant.

Enjoy them on the M42 and be greatful what you're getting.

I don't know where the O P'er got that a Staten Island express bus would be running. Nowhere in any press release is that stated. These kind of statements start rumors. "I heard the the first of the SI express will be running......."

Furthermore that would be a terrible idea, as far as I know never done before, and this would restrict passenger movement throughout the bus.

Finally, these buses are not able to handle pounding the road, high speeds on a regular route. That was tried a couple of years ago and road failures were abundant.

Enjoy them on the M42 and be greatful what you're getting.

The quote from the MTA press release is such: "Staten Islanders will get a special treat riding one of the first Staten Island express buses."

I assume that's just in reference to one of the fishbowls, but I don't know. Just have to wait and see.

I didn't see in the press release, when is this starting up? tomorrow? next week?

All of these vintage buses will operate along the M42 (42nd Street Crosstown) Monday through Friday, departing from 42nd Street and 12th Avenue at 8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and again in the afternoon at 2:30 p.m. The fare is $2.25 in cash or swipe a MetroCard, just like our more modern, but far less interesting buses.

What's the "special Staten Island express bus" lol

"Staten Islanders will get a special treat riding one of the first Staten Island express buses."

As I understand it, it's just saying that anyone from Staten Island will be able to ride one of the first SI express buses that ran, on the M42, not on an express line.

Again, the press release, as far as I can see, says the display and buses will be up Monday through Friday, but does not specify which week that will be. Does anyone see and actual DATE, not "monday through friday", listed anywhere?

Considering that this release was released over the weekend, it could be tomorrow.

Considering that this release was released over the weekend, it could be tomorrow.

I hope so! It's still kind of early, especially if they plan to run these buses until Christmas or New YEar.

I'm going to try to get the Union Square display this week, since my office is close enough and I'd like to take a walk down there. Otherwise, I'll head over next week.

if they do run an express bus to staten island, i would run the NYBS fishbowl or the MCI classic, eventhough it would be odd, but they have power steering, rerember in 2010 alot of drivers from other depots besides MJQ,QV and ENY whined how the buses didn't have power steering

if they do run an express bus to staten island, i would run the NYBS fishbowl or the MCI classic, eventhough it would be odd, but they have power steering, rerember in 2010 alot of drivers from other depots besides MJQ,QV and ENY whined how the buses didn't have power steering

They're not.

Archived