No. 3 train going 24/7 again in Harlem

Trainspotter

No. 3 train going 24/7 again in Harlem

BY KAMELIA ANGELOVA and PETE DONOHUE

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

July 25th 2008

397226905_65c1de5e06.jpg

Scott Beale

Passenger waits for a (3) train at the station.

Around-the-clock subway service is coming back to two Harlem stations after a 13-year absence.

For those living near the 3 line's 145th St. and 148th St. stations, that means no more late-night waits for shuttle buses or costly livery cabs after a night on the town or evening at the office.

"That's awesome," a surprised Mike Hauschild, 25, of Harlem said yesterday when told of the resumed service, which starts Sunday.

Transit managers halted service between midnight and 6:30 a.m. because of low ridership. But the neighborhood has new life and the subway system is under new management.

"Our mandate is to provide safe, efficient, environmentally friendly and reliable transit service to our customers, citywide," NYC Transit President Howard Roberts said. "This change in service will go a long way toward making the commute of thousands of our customers in Harlem and upper Manhattan that much better."

All but a few of the 468 subway stations offer some service around the clock.

NYC Transit also is increasing service on the B, M, W and 7 lines. Starting Sunday, there will be 14 additional 7 line round trips between Flushing-Main St. and Times Square/42nd St. on Saturdays and Sundays.

To ease crowding on the 2 line, they are also adding a couple of late-morning trains to the 3 line on weekdays.

The Harlem addition is one of a few initiatives that survived the MTA's budget ax. It was included in a authority-wide, $60 million service enhancement program that for the most part was canceled earlier this year before it got off the ground. Transit managers found savings in other areas to fund $8.9 million worth of schedule changes, officials said.

Hauschild, who lives near 148th St. and Lenox Ave., said he's had to take the A train and walk from 145th and St. Nicholas to the west.

"They leave me no choice," he said.

The return of the 3 should improve Shatima Moore's social life.

"It's been a pain coming home late at night, especially on Friday and Saturday," said Moore, 27, a cashier. "It's been hard going out to the clubs."

Wrong thread yo!

Let the (3) have its moment to shine! B)

That's right! Long live Lenox Terminal! But, on topic, even down here on Livonia, they posted signs of the 24/7 service. We now have trains to New Lots as late as 11:30 PM on weekends, so that means both (3) & (4) trains during that time.

MORE (7)<7> FTW!

- Andy

Wrong thread yo!

Let the (3) have its moment to shine! B)

ORLY
NYC Transit also is increasing service on the B, M, W and 7 lines. Starting Sunday, there will be 14 additional 7 line round trips between Flushing-Main St. and Times Square/42nd St. on Saturdays and Sundays.
B)

This plan sounds good, though I liked taking those shuttle buses. B)

That's right! Long live Lenox Terminal! But, on topic, even down here on Livonia, they posted signs of the 24/7 service. We now have trains to New Lots as late as 11:30 PM on weekends, so that means both (3) & (4) trains during that time.

I wouldnt be surprised if they cut the 4 back to Utica since its gona run 24/7. I dont think New Lots can handel that....

I wouldnt be surprised if they cut the 4 back to Utica since its gona run 24/7. I dont think New Lots can handel that....

If New Lots handles the (2), (3), AND (5) during reverse peak rush (trains coming to and from Livonia Yard), it can handle evening (3) & (4) service.

Archived