Air Canada Increases Flights in Western Canada; Deploys New Q400 Aircraft t

MONTREAL, Oct. 18, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced that it is boosting capacity on regional routes across Western Canada this fall and winter to meet demand. The airline will also be gradually introducing new state-of-the-art Bombardier Q-400 Next Gen aircraft operated by Air Canada Jazz under the Air Canada Express brand on key markets from Calgary and Edmonton beginning next year.

"Air Canada is increasing capacity this fall and winter on key regional routes reflecting strong demand within Western Canada, the centre of the country's energy and resource industries," said Marcel Forget, Air Canada's Vice President, Network Planning. "These changes are designed to meet the needs of Western Canadian business travelers, who overwhelmingly prefer Air Canada for travel within Canada. According to the recent 2012 Canadian Business Travel Survey conducted by Ipsos Reid, Air Canada was the preferred airline for more than 80% of frequent business travellers in Western Canada, the highest level seen over the past eight years.

"Starting next February, Air Canada will be scheduling new Q-400 aircraft on regional routes across Western Canada to replace smaller Bombardier CRJ aircraft. Air Canada Express flights are scheduled to enable convenient, point-to-point same day business travel, as well as convenient and easy connections to Air Canada's extensive domestic, US and international network at Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. In addition, customers collect Aeroplan Miles through Canada's leading loyalty program when travelling with Air Canada."

Increased services this fall and winter compared to last year include:

Calgary-Fort McMurray 7 daily (from 6 daily) 350 daily seats (from 300) Calgary-Grande Prairie 5 daily (from 4 daily) 250 daily seats (from 200) Calgary-Yellowknife 2 daily (from 1 daily) 100 daily seats (from 50) Edmonton-Fort McMurray 7 daily (from 6 daily) 350 daily seats (from 300) Edmonton-Regina 2 daily (from 1 daily) 100 daily seats (from 50) Edmonton-Saskatoon 2 daily (from 1 daily) 100 daily seats (from 50) Vancouver-Fort St. John 5 daily (from 4 daily) 250 daily seats (from 200) Vancouver-Nanaimo 7 daily (from 6 daily) 350 daily seats (from 300)

In February, 2013, Air Canada will begin gradually deploying made-in-Canada Bombardier Dash 8 Q-400 NextGen aircraft on routes within Western Canada, replacing 50-seat CRJ aircraft. The new ultra-quiet, Q-400 aircraft featuring 74 all-leather seats with roomy overhead bins will initially be scheduled on the following routes:

Calgary-Fort McMurray February, 2013 Calgary-Regina February, 2013 Calgary-Saskatoon February, 2013 Calgary-Yellowknife April, 2013 Calgary-Grande Prairie March, 2013 Calgary-Victoria March, 2013 Calgary-Edmonton March, 2013 Edmonton-Fort McMurray March, 2013 Edmonton-Yellowknife April, 2013 Edmonton-Winnipeg May, 2013

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=590

I have to wonder just how much demand there could be though. We're talking about Calgary and Edmonton, both relatively "small" cities compared to other Canadian cities and both in Alberta, so I wonder what exactly it is that is causing such an increase? Vancouver I could see though. I've used Lufthansa, All'Italia, and Delta for my trips, so I wonder what sort of quality Air Canada offers...?

I have to wonder just how much demand there could be though. We're talking about Calgary and Edmonton, both relatively "small" cities compared to other Canadian cities and both in Alberta, so I wonder what exactly it is that is causing such an increase? Vancouver I could see though. I've used Lufthansa, All'Italia, and Delta for my trips, so I wonder what sort of quality Air Canada offers...?

The reason is WestJet is starting next year a feeder/discount carrier called WestJet Encore using Q400 planes flying into smaller markets.

Calgary and Edmonton are pretty big cities for Canada. Its like flying from Ottawa to Toronto which alot of people do.

Calgary and Edmonton are pretty big cities for Canada. Its like flying from Ottawa to Toronto which alot of people do.

I know but they're still small in the overall scheme of things... The big boys are mainly on the east coast, one of which you've already mentioned in Toronto (the financial capital) and largest city, Montréal and of course Ottawa being the capital and its importance in terms of government policies and such. I realize that Calgary and Edmonton are big cities, but they're still considered to be "small cities" in the overall scheme of things. If anything I would consider Vancouver to have more importance than Calgary and Edmonton just because the two cities are seen in different light IMO. I would compare them to Winnipeg, though clearly Winnipeg is smaller than both Calgary and Edmonton. lol

I know but they're still small in the overall scheme of things... The big boys are mainly on the east coast, one of which you've already mentioned in Toronto (the financial capital) and largest city, Montréal and of course Ottawa being the capital and its importance in terms of government policies and such. I realize that Calgary and Edmonton are big cities, but they're still considered to be "small cities" in the overall scheme of things. If anything I would consider Vancouver to have more importance than Calgary and Edmonton just because the two cities are seen in different light IMO. I would compare them to Winnipeg, though clearly Winnipeg is smaller than both Calgary and Edmonton. lol

Calgary and Edmonton has seen large growth in the past 10-15 years. Edmonton is the capital of Alberta and Calgary is home to lots of mining and oil companies in Canada.

Calgary and Edmonton has seen large growth in the past 10-15 years. Edmonton is the capital of Alberta and Calgary is home to lots of mining and oil companies in Canada.

Yeah I know hence the Edmonton "Oilers" and oil country... I follow you buddy... I used to have CBC since I lived a skip and a hop away from Montréal and used to go there regularly from Plattsburgh, but what I'm getting at is the western part of Canada is generally seen as smaller in size with the exception of Vancouver. Those two cities only have a little over 1 million in terms of population so when you compare them to a Toronto or a Montréal they're still pretty small even with their growth. Whenever I go to Montréal, it reminds me of New York a lot, though far more European in feel and obviously much cleaner, even the Downtown area.

Yeah I know hence the Edmonton "Oilers" and oil country... I follow you buddy... I used to have CBC since I lived a skip and a hop away from Montréal and used to go there regularly from Plattsburgh, but what I'm getting at is the western part of Canada is generally seen as smaller in size with the exception of Vancouver. Those two cities only have a little over 1 million in terms of population so when you compare them to a Toronto or a Montréal they're still pretty small even with their growth. Whenever I go to Montréal, it reminds me of New York a lot, though far more European in feel and obviously much cleaner, even the Downtown area.

This is changing though, all the growth in Canada is in the western provinces now so it makes sence for them as they will be growing in that market.

Archived