Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

JFK Airport question? Should i take the Q10 or the Airtrain in Queens?

Guys a question? Just brought a ticket to fly out to see my Mom & Sister on Christmas Day from JFK Airport. I plan to take Metro North to Grand Central then not sure which to do to get to Kennedy in queens the bus or airtrain? Let me make it clear I know *how to get to JFK lol*. So after i walk to the 53rd-Lex (E) station i am wondering to save the $5 should i take the Q10 bus from the (E) train at Kew Gardens station? Or stick to the airtrain at Jamaica-LIRR and Supthin station? I plan to take only (1) bag and mail my gifts couple of days prior to save the $$$ on checked bags fees. :angry:

I can't really afford the $40-$50 or more taxi fees from Midtown though. :mellow:

I got to be at JFK by 2-230pm X-mas Day for a 4pm takeoff. Also I know buses will run on a reduced Sunday schedule on Christmas Holiday, so does it mean the Q10 Limited is running or not? Just cursious guys. Get back to me. Thanks

Edited by Shortline Bus

Guys a question? Just brought a ticket to fly out to see my Mom & Sister on Christmas Day from JFK Airport. I plan to take Metro North to Grand Central then not sure which to do to get to Kennedy in queens the bus or airtrain? Let me make it clear I know *how to get to JFK lol*. So after i walk to the 53rd-Lex (E) station i am wondering to save the $5 should i take the Q10 bus from the (E) train at Kew Gardens station? Or stick to the airtrain at Jamaica-LIRR and Supthin station? I plan to take only (1) bag and mail my gifts couple of days prior to save the $$$ on checked bags fees. :angry:

I can't really afford the $40-$50 or more taxi fees from Midtown though. :mellow:

I got to be at JFK by 2-230pm X-mas Day for a 4pm takeoff. Also I know buses will run on a reduced Sunday schedule on Christmas Holiday, so does it mean the Q10 Limited is running or not? Just cursious guys. Get back to me. Thanks

first what time does your train arrive at GCT?

i was gonna say stay where you are at gct and take the 7 to the E to kew gardens?

and for the sunday schedule i see there are some ltds for the q10

Someone told me the Q10 doesn't go around to all the terminals anymore...

and i see the Q10 does stop at terminal 5

Edited by BreeddekalbL

first what time does your train arrive at GCT?

i was gonna say stay where you are at gct and take the 7 to the E to kew gardens?

and for the sunday schedule i see there are some ltds for the q10

and i see the Q10 does stop at terminal

I plan to arrive at GCT at around 1235pm(the 1040am from Poughkeepsie)at lastest. Or if needed i can arrive at around 1135am. My MNRR line runs every hour almost all the time 7 days a week. Need to be at check-in at 2pm the lastest.

And i think the Q10(along w/ Q3 and B15) only makes '1' stop in main JFK airlines terminal, the internationals arrivals area from couple of years back to get more pp. onto the airtrain. I not been on Q10 riding to JFK in few years (been on it couple of times but not to the airport)since then. I usually use the airtrain but looking to save $5 and also busfann briefly before my flight.

I plan to arrive at GCT at around 1235pm(the 1040am from Poughkeepsie)at lastest. Or if needed i can arrive at around 1135am. My MNRR line runs every hour almost all the time 7 days a week. Need to be at check-in at 2pm the lastest.

And i think the Q10(along w/ Q3 and B15) only makes '1' stop in main JFK airlines terminal, the internationals arrivals area from couple of years back to get more pp. onto the airtrain. I not been on Q10 riding to JFK in few years (been on it couple of times but not to the airport)since then. I usually use the airtrain but looking to save $5 and also busfann briefly before my flight.

and what terminal at jfk are you going out of?

Well, just to be on the safe side, I'd say to catch the 9:40 out of Poughkeepsie, and then you can take the Q10. When I travel long distance, I always arrive a good 3 hours before the bus/train/plane leaves.

Play it safe and take the AirTrain, pay the $5. At least you only have a few stops to deal with and don't need to worry about road traffic.

:edit:

exactly what snowblock said in his post: it's $5 on top of however much the airfare and hotel charges you have. $5 is a small price to pay vs late/cancellation fees.

Edited by Grand Concourse
  • Upvote 5

Take the Airtrain. It's much faster and easier than any of the buses. If you're giving the airlines hundreds of dollars, what's another $5?

• Upvote 4

Jetblue (forgot what terminal #) lol? :mellow::D

JetBlue is in Terminal 5 where the Q10 stops. The Q10 used to stop at Terminal 4 but it goes to T5 now, which I like because JetBlue's my favorite airline and I fly with them whenever possible.

If you don't have a lot of luggage, the Q10 should be fine. Tip-take the Q10 local (not limited) especially if you have luggage because there's usually much less people on the local, especially when it gets onto airport grounds and it should take around the same time as the limited to get to T5, in fact I've beaten the limited quite a few times on the Q10 local and even got a whole bus to myself once.

If you have luggage, take the AirTrain.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Since so many good advice , I will throw mine.

Two things you can do at GCT:

1) Take the 6 to 51st station to transfer to the E train to Sutphin Blvd (for Air Train).

2) Catch the express bus across from GCT by the Airline annex office 125 Park Ave, It's 15.00 to JFK , R/T is 25.00.

They stop at every terminal at JFK.

http://www.nyairport.../page.php?id=48

http://www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=86

S/F,

CEYA!

Edited by Ceya

Honestly I find the Airtrain to be your best bet....granted the price is not my friend, it will get you there faster, and being early is better then being late, plus Lefferts Blvd tends to be traffic as far as the eye can see.

Shortline, if you do take the Q10, make sure it does go to JFK airport. You're leaving in the afternoon. It's not as bad during the day taking a short-turn that leaves you short of the airport as it is at night (which happened to me).

Shortline, if you do take the Q10, make sure it does go to JFK airport. You're leaving in the afternoon. It's not as bad during the day taking a short-turn that leaves you short of the airport as it is at night (which happened to me).

He's right, there are quite a few Q10 runs that terminate at rockaway blvd.

He's right, there are quite a few Q10 runs that terminate at rockaway blvd.

Yeah, look for the little plane symbol on the left side of the sign, that's your sign it's going to the airport.

I've mentioned this before, there are some runs that end at 130th Street and 150th Avenue. That's the one I took during the night. The place is a bit scary at that time...

Goji i am flying on Christmas Day morning/early afternoon. So i assume it be a reduced sunday schedule and all Q10 trips will run to JFK?

Edited by Shortline Bus

Goji i am flying on Christmas Day morning/early afternoon. So i assume it be a reduced sunday schedule and all Q10 trips will run to JFK?

I don't know, on Saturdays there are short turns, IDK about Sundays. Just look for the plane symbol, one's bound to show up real soon after you get to your stop.

What terminal are they arriving?

The Q10 bus only stops at Terminal 5. I suggest you take the Air-Train and alight the train to the terminal where they are going.

If they arrive at Terminal 5, then take the Q10 bus.

Just my suggestions. :D:D

Take the Airtrain. It's much faster and easier than any of the buses. If you're giving the airlines hundreds of dollars, what's another $5?

I say the same thing. $5 can buy you a $5 dollar Footlong at Subway! Plus Airtrain is fast and easy like he said (no Staples Easy rebate).

• Upvote 1

I say the same thing. $5 can buy you a $5 dollar Footlong at Subway! Plus Airtrain is fast and easy like he said (no Staples Easy rebate).

Maybe i am leaning on taking the airtrain then. Plus Christmas this year (2012) on a Tuesday, i am sure subway/bus levels citywide would similar to a late sunday (alot of staff not showing to work but who can blame them lol)evening of subway lines running every 12-15 minutes *instead of a regular Sunday schedule.

Maybe i am leaning on taking the airtrain then. Plus Christmas this year (2012) on a Tuesday, i am sure subway/bus levels citywide would similar to a late sunday (alot of staff not showing to work but who can blame them lol)evening of subway lines running every 12-15 minutes *instead of a regular Sunday schedule.

made a trip planner w/o the q10 bus your best bet would to take the 7 to the e to the airtrain

http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/results.aspx

Ahh yes the trip planner :... Then NYCRailfan523 from the feedback given by everybody participating in this thread the travelers should do to do is do their research on service patterns on the internet, and allow for extra travel time that day on any given day this December leading up to Christmas and New Years .

Edited by realizm