Cross Island Parkway: No mention of Hempstead Turnpike

N6 Limited

I wonder why there is no mention of Hempstead Turnpike on the Cross Island Parkway exit signs. They just replaced the signs with new reflective signs and they changed nothing. Northbound says "Hempstead Ave Belmont Racetrack" and southbound the sign says "Hempstead Ave East" with no mention of Hempstead Turnpike,when you go around the loop its basically becomes Hempstead Turnpike when you cross over the highway.

I wonder why there is no mention of Hempstead Turnpike on the Cross Island Parkway exit signs. They just replaced the signs with new reflective signs and they changed nothing. Northbound says "Hempstead Ave Belmont Racetrack" and southbound the sign says "Hempstead Ave East" with no mention of Hempstead Turnpike,when you go around the loop its basically becomes Hempstead Turnpike when you cross over the highway.

Those signs were replaced by the city rather than the NYSDOT which adheres to the proper signage standards. All the city did was copy exactly how the old signs look which were installed back when the Cross Island was widened in the mid 60s.

Plus, no matter what the suffix it is still Route 24. None of the highways that cross Hempstead Turnpike in Nassau even have it spelled out like that, its usually "NY 24 EAST/Farmingdale" or "NY 24 WEST/Hempstead".

Yes, which is why it should Mention Hempstead Turnpike.

Jamaica Ave /Jericho Turnpike is mentioned @ exit 27

yea but the entire name changes there, not just the Suffix. In San Francisco the street name signs omit the suffix (road, ave, st, tpke, ct) altogether.

yea but the entire name changes there, not just the Suffix. In San Francisco the street name signs omit the suffix (road, ave, st, tpke, ct) altogether.

True. So does alot of cities and towns across America especially on the west coast. Not to go off topic but in rail/subway lines such as Chicago and the Bay area, the street name does not mention the suffix. i.e "Chicago Ave" on the CTA is just called "Chicago" station.

True. So does alot of cities and towns across America especially on the west coast. Not to go off topic but in rail/subway lines such as Chicago and the Bay area, the street name does not mention the suffix. i.e "Chicago Ave" on the CTA is just called "Chicago" station.

Chicago has that interesting coordinate system to determine exactly what block you are on

Archived