R32's on E with DEAD A/C

AJ023

A ton of reports are coming in from users in the (E) with dead and busted A/C on multiple cars on the R32's on other websites.

Am I correct to assume that the R32's are end of life cars and so till the older ones with busted A/C are phased out as Phase 2 cars are still in service, there will be cars with busted A/C?

I heard that Phase 2 cars would be phased out but it seems as though I still get on mostly those Phase 2 cars with squeaking breaks.

Phase 2 are being phased out now, which is probably why there is busted A/C as there is no reason to maintain a car that is going to be reefed soon. Phase 1 is replacing them for a few years, and then they themselves will be reefed and replaced. However the switch is probably not completely done yet.

I think we went around in circles since we both said the same thing. Guess this summer will be the last one with bad A/C in the cars hopefully.

You still got the (R)(6)(2) on the IRT. :(

- Andy

A ton of reports are coming in from users in the (E) with dead and busted A/C on multiple cars on the R32's on other websites.

Am I correct to assume that the R32's are end of life cars and so till the older ones with busted A/C are phased out as Phase 2 cars are still in service, there will be cars with busted A/C?

I heard that Phase 2 cars would be phased out but it seems as though I still get on mostly those Phase 2 cars with squeaking breaks.

Nothing new or surprising. Its Jamaica!

Phase 2 are being phased out now, which is probably why there is busted A/C as there is no reason to maintain a car that is going to be reefed soon. Phase 1 is replacing them for a few years, and then they themselves will be reefed and replaced. However the switch is probably not completely done yet.
Yur right...When the T/O couple(put together) trains in the Yard for service,you have some cars with A/C and some without A/C.Their main concern is that the doors,brakes and any other problem that will prevent the train from functioning properly in service is fixed!I hate to say it but..A/C and heat is a luxury at this point.:( The NEW trains are coming!

The R62, R68 and R142 and R160 are fine!!!

No none of those cars you said have good A/C. In years past NYC fleet used to have ice cold A/C this summer NONE of the subway cars are putting out good A/C. The A/C's are not strong enough this summer if feels humid when you walk inside any subway car this summer.

No none of those cars you said have good A/C. In years past NYC fleet used to have ice cold A/C this summer NONE of the subway cars are putting out good A/C. The A/C's are not strong enough this summer if feels humid when you walk inside any subway car this summer.

Now, I agree all the fleets are not blasting A/C, but your stating is as if its fact. Thats what you think, and thats it. I've been on many subway cars where the A/C was just fine, and was on enough to keep the car cool. Some of the older class cars don't have A/C, and some cars from the R62/As and R68/As and up are barely pumping, its only a select few with every car class.

Now, I agree all the fleets are not blasting A/C, but your stating is as if its fact. Thats what you think, and thats it. I've been on many subway cars where the A/C was just fine, and was on enough to keep the car cool. Some of the older class cars don't have A/C, and some cars from the R62/As and R68/As and up are barely pumping, its only a select few with every car class.

Yea, i agree, some are non-functional, some are wheezingly pathetic, and others are POWER BLASTING. It's really a craps shoot, i even got on a few NTT's with poor or non functioning A/C.

- Andy

I don't know why but something aobut the R142A's AC has gotten better. Eveyr time this summer I hve stepped on a (6) train the AC is frosty. The R160 AC is only average and it takes a while to feel cooler, but the older cars AC are still pretty good. I also give the R46s a hand on their AC, especially the SMS'ed ones.

I don't know why but something aobut the R142A's AC has gotten better. Eveyr time this summer I hve stepped on a (6) train the AC is frosty. The R160 AC is only average and it takes a while to feel cooler, but the older cars AC are still pretty good. I also give the R46s a hand on their AC, especially the SMS'ed ones.

R42 A/C is not very good

• 1 month later...

Everyone needs to consider the location of the car. Unfortunately, ALLl revenue cars A/C system was designed for open air operation. NOT nyc tunnel systems. The heat from the inside of the car is a lot more difficult to dissipate.

As for maintaining the sysytems. The A/C and heat systems have priority over all other problems. Cars in a 10 car line can still run without a propulsion system, brakes or a converter due to trainline coupling if need be. A/C and heat systems are car independent and are immediately removed from service.

Also there are 2 systems running... R110 and above have 2 self contained packages on top of the car from both Bombardier and Kawasaki... one on each end. Pre R110 has a split system with the condensor and fans underneath the car.

they don't give a shit bout the 32's anymore unfortunately since they are getting reefed soon :D

the squeaky brakes are not just the jamaica 32's, the pitkin 32's have the same problem too, and there are also some jamaica 32's with non-squeaky brakes

i was on a pitkin 32 on the E train today, and the entire train apparently had no a/c so maybie pitkin 32's are actually worse than jamaica 32's (that brakes on that train were pretty noisy too) or the c/r decided to make us suffer

they don't give a shit bout the 32's anymore unfortunately since they are getting reefed soon :(

the squeaky brakes are not just the jamaica 32's, the pitkin 32's have the same problem too, and there are also some jamaica 32's with non-squeaky brakes

i was on a pitkin 32 on the E train today, and the entire train apparently had no a/c so maybie pitkin 32's are actually worse than jamaica 32's (that brakes on that train were pretty noisy too) or the c/r decided to make us suffer

Non-"squeaky" (as you so eloquently put it...LOL) brakes are Phase I R32s.

And Pitkin R32 on the (E) is an oxymoron...ever since those R32s were transferred to the (E) they became part of Jamaica, which is whythey're starting to fail. Pitkin R32s were good when they were at Pitkin.

Non-"squeaky" (as you so eloquently put it...LOL) brakes are Phase I R32s.

And Pitkin R32 on the (E) is an oxymoron...ever since those R32s were transferred to the (E) they became part of Jamaica, which is whythey're starting to fail. Pitkin R32s were good when they were at Pitkin.

That not True, Jamaica is not mantaing those R32's when They were at pitkin They were fine, and Jamaica is starting to not give a shit about R32's and R42's . so You can't blame pitkin for this.

That not True, Jamaica is not mantaing those R32's when They were at pitkin They were fine, and Jamaica is starting to not give a shit about R32's and R42's . so You can't blame pitkin for this.

But that's what I said...except Jamaica (for now) cares aobut the R42. They're giving some of them new paint jobs, etc.

Archived