MTA rolling out its final fare-hike plan

CPBO

Straphangers will pay $112 for a monthly MetroCard — up $8 from the current price — under the MTA’s final proposed fare-hike plan, sources told The Post.

The plan, getting its finishing touches before it’s presented to the entire MTA board Wednesday, also includes a $2.50 base subway fare — a 25-cent increase from the current $2.25 — and a weekly MetroCard that would cost $30, a dollar more than riders pay now.

Bowing to pressure from riders, the MTA has scrapped plans to completely ax the popular pay-per-ride-bonus, which is currently 7 percent on purchases more than $10.

While the revamped bonus will likely be less than 7 percent, the good news is it will kick in on smaller purchases, possibly as low as $5 (the cost of a round-trip fare with the new $2.50 base rate), sources said.

If this NY Post article is true(the Daily News and NY1 are the most accurate for MTA news)then i say this is the most fair service increase plan. No body likes it, but this provides a smaller across the board hike for both PPR and weekly/monthly metrocards. Plus the Bonuses on PPR is saved which I am a little suprised about.

Not to get off topic. IMO some form of a daily 1-day "fun" pass should return but make it for usage only on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays. Besides tourists, those casual subway/bus riders like myself who dont live in the 5 boros, can use on weekends. Just a thought.

Very smart plan. You don't want to kill the unlimited Metrocard by making it go up to $125, which would curtail many discretionary weekend and evening trips. That would have ended up costing the MTA more in the long run due to LESS fare revenue coming in when people cut their trips and switch to pay-per-rides. Very fair plan that balances everything well.

There are millions of people who are making minimum wage working jobs they are overqualified for, who cannot afford their own place and have to raise families in their parents' house, who are making barely enough money just to pay the bills, whose expenses are rising every day but their incomes aren't... Sure a $2.50 fare isn't going to kill your priveleged self, but there are plenty of people who are suffering every single day, and now this fare hike is only going to make them suffer even more.. Sure they'll have to do what they have to do to survive, but now maybe they'll have to do it hungry as they won't be able to shell out $$ for a nice lunch anymore since now they have to spend that $$ towards their transportation.

And then people have the nerve to call me selfish when I'm asking for better bus service, but a comment like that is perfectly fine...

As Brett said, $2.50 won't really kill me in the long-run. (Actually in terms of travelling into Manhattan only, $2.50 is a bargain compared to my past $4.65 a gallon for gas.)

$112 for a monthly is steep but still manageable for me as well. If it goes any higher, it may pose a problem for me though in the future.

There are millions of people who are making minimum wage working jobs they are overqualified for, who cannot afford their own place and have to raise families in their parents' house, who are making barely enough money just to pay the bills, whose expenses are rising every day but their incomes aren't... Sure a $2.50 fare isn't going to kill your priveleged self, but there are plenty of people who are suffering every single day, and now this fare hike is only going to make them suffer even more.. Sure they'll have to do what they have to do to survive, but now maybe they'll have to do it hungry as they won't be able to shell out $$ for a nice lunch anymore since now they have to spend that $$ towards their transportation.

And then people have the nerve to call me selfish when I'm asking for better bus service, but a comment like that is perfectly fine...

Being fair Error and not meant to be rude but you do eat right? Gallon of milk has shot up to $3-plus a gallon. Ditto for most anything in food,electric, phone and other everyday needs. So in comprasion to food prices, this fare hike by the MTA is not that bad And dont forget in 2013, many of the doomsday 2010 cuts are being restored along with a couple of new bus lines. So it could be worse.

For myself and other LIRR/Metro North riders tickets are going to about 10% which for me as an off peak traveler means fares going up about $2.00. Thus it can get worse.

damn it

lol... I would think the (MTA) will raise our express bus fares to $6.00 and maybe the unlimited Express Bus Plus card to $52 a week or so, which puts our monthly expenses ever so closer to $300.00 depending on how many weeks there are in a particular month. Not terrible, but I'm also wondering what the LIRR and MetroNorth prices will be since I just about always use those during peak times either at night or in the morning.... The $2.50 fare to me is peanuts but I understand that many are still struggling. At the same time while I realize that us LIRR and MetroNorth riders tend to be more affluent, it's rather surprising that for those that don't use a monthly pass we could be facing trips that are at $10.00 and above one way just for the train, let alone subways or local buses. If anything I think we in the suburbs need to have our voices heard and our fair share of representation as well to protect our cost of transportation. At $6.00 I still think the express buses are reasonable but MetroNorth and the LIRR is getting up there, especially considering the fact that many can't even get a seat after shelling out $10.00 plus for a ride. There was a lady this morning on my train with luggage that was just dying for a seat... She finally found one after trying to unsuccessfully sit on her luggage.

http://www.mta.info/...ries/?story=841

$30 weekly pass and $2.50 base fare sounds like proposal 1A. In that case, the weekly express bus pass goes up to $55. I don't know what's up with this stuff about "revamping" the bonus, because neither option that involves raising the base fare to $2.50 involved reducing the bonus to a percentage between 0 & 7%.

Here's the LIRR plan (I don't think they give any options for that in terms of raising the unlimited vs. per-trip fares)

http://mta.info/mta/..._faresLIRR.html

I don't feel like looking for the MNCR one, but it should be pretty similar. They say the average fare will increase by roughly 8.19% - 9.31%, and they give a few samples here (page 5) and here (page 13).

Being fair Error and not meant to be rude but you do eat right? Gallon of milk has shot up to $3-plus a gallon. Ditto for most anything in food,electric, phone and other everyday needs. So in comprasion to food prices, this fare hike by the MTA is not that bad And dont forget in 2013, many of the doomsday 2010 cuts are being restored along with a couple of new bus lines. So it could be worse.

For myself and other LIRR/Metro North riders tickets are going to about 10% which for me as an off peak traveler means fares going up about $2.00. Thus it can get worse.

Well what you said just adds to my point.. the price of everything is going up, but peoples' incomes are not. The MTA is only making their situations worse by imposing an additional fare hike.

What really bothered me is the fact how people are content with a fare hike.. Had the MTA been a bit more conservative in regard to spending when they actually did have $$ and the economy was good, these occasional fare hikes would not be happening

An increase of fare is never not popular but a network needs a lot of money to function correctly.

You have the cost of operation, the cost of renovation and extension.

Maintening a subway is even more expensive for an old network of more than one hundred years old.

There is always this good question, what is better a nearly free network in bad state or a more expensive network in pretty good shape ?

I am more in favor of the second.

Countries with the highest use of public transport are not those where the transports cost the less but those where they are the most efficient.

Well what you said just adds to my point.. the price of everything is going up, but peoples' incomes are not. The MTA is only making their situations worse by imposing an additional fare hike.

You can't just single out the MTA like that. Why not blame food companies and distributors also then? Like Shortline says, milk is freakin' $3+ a gallon. Cheese prices are up thus the high pizza slice costs and such. It just means we'll have to budget out luxuries that we like and survive.

I used to make minimum wage also, and I know it was tough. But if you keep looking up and not care for some luxuries we might like then, the $2.50 fare wouldn't look as overkill as some people might put it. (Same goes for the $112 monthly)

Sure they'll have to do what they have to do to survive, but now maybe they'll have to do it hungry as they won't be able to shell out $$ for a nice lunch anymore since now they have to spend that $$ towards their transportation.

Easy solution: don't supersize your lunch. Or do what Bloomberg wants you to do and buy the can of soda instead of the bottle.

And I second what peacemak3r said. Why the hell is it okay for everybody else to raise prices, but the subway fare goes up 25 cents and suddenly the MTA is the devil????

Easy solution: don't supersize your lunch. Or do what Bloomberg wants you to do and buy the can of soda instead of the bottle.

And I second what peacemak3r said. Why the hell is it okay for everybody else to raise prices, but the subway fare goes up 25 cents and suddenly the MTA is the devil????

Agree 1000% on that above statement.

Hasn't the fair debate been going on since the IRT days foward?? If I understand the metro card, for 112 bucks a month that is unlimited subway/bus transportation?? If that is so I wish I could go everywhere for that money!! My 2 out of the city cents....

An increase of fare is never not popular but a network needs a lot of money to function correctly.

You have the cost of operation, the cost of renovation and extension.

Maintening a subway is even more expensive for an old network of more than one hundred years old.

There is always this good question, what is better a nearly free network in bad state or a more expensive network in pretty good shape ?

I am more in favor of the second.

Countries with the highest use of public transport are not those where the transports cost the less but those where they are the most efficient.

And considering how must it cost them to recover after Sandy, I would think its kinda justified. Close to 5 BILLION...

And sure, things such as groceries, rent and other shit is going up and there are folks who supposedly can't afford to pay the fare *coughiPhoneandBeatsHeadphonesfolkscough*, but the reality is that we gotta adjust to changes whether we like it or not.

To a certain degree, this might sound crazy but I'm for the fare hike mostly because of how fast they got the city back on its feet and the fact that its gonna cost them that much to get shit back in good working order. I'll gladly pay the 2.50 and the 112, no problem. Yeah people bitch about service here and there but the real question is would you rather have any service...or no service at all?

I remember when a "brand name" loaf of bread was 99 cents, but now a damn loaf of bread costs almost $3! MTA could do worse and be like the Port Authority with fare hikes for 4 years in a row. Even with MTA's fare hike next year, PATH is still on pace to surpass MTA's base fare by the end of 2014.

The Sandy costs are not something I would factor in here, as much of that money will eventually be reimbursed by the Federal and state govt's. This is mostly to cover the inept management of the operating budget and real estate owned by the MTA, as well as the issues with the capital/construction budget. Ridership is at an all time high, as we know, so that is not the problem.

The Sandy costs are not something I would factor in here, as much of that money will eventually be reimbursed by the Federal and state govt's. This is mostly to cover the inept management of the operating budget and real estate owned by the MTA, as well as the issues with the capital/construction budget. Ridership is at an all time high, as we know, so that is not the problem.

While that is true, in the end, they still lost a big chunk of $$.

Archived