MTA rolling out its final fare-hike plan

CPBO

While that is true, in the end, they still lost a big chunk of $$.

Agreed. This actually is a good time for the MTA to announce the hikees, since people feel so thankful about how quickly things got back up and running after Sandy.

Only the MTA could be almost heroic after a massive superstorm in getting service back, and yet be so incompetent when it comes to maintaining regular service on a normal day. Gotta love it.

Agreed. This actually is a good time for the MTA to announce the hikees, since people feel so thankful about how quickly things got back up and running after Sandy.

Only the MTA could be almost heroic after a massive superstorm in getting service back, and yet be so incompetent when it comes to maintaining regular service on a normal day. Gotta love it.

A part of me feels as if the damage wasn't as bad as they made it out to be overall with the exception of some areas. I mean if anything they should've been prepared for this storm seeing that this isn't the first time that the subways were flooded, so in reality the system should've been up and running as quickly as it was. We've quickly forgotten how they were caught with their pants down for several storms like that big snow storm where all of the buses were stuck and passengers were stranded... In short yes the damage was bad, but taking the precautions that they did of moving buses to safer areas and subways and so on was a commonsense move that isn't exactly heroic. Commonsense is the key thing here and if others had heeded to the commonsense requests to move to safer ground the sting wouldn't have been as bad for many other folks.

I still didn't forget back in 2007 I think it was that I was literally stranded in a snow storm. In the city I took an X12 after waiting for a good hour for one lousy bus to come and it took about 2 hours to get to Staten Island. I made a stop along the way then tried to get a local bus... No S54 so I eventually caught a Victory Blvd bus to Victory to Clove for an S53. I waited a good hour for an S53 and there was nothing and I couldn't get any car service either even. Eventually I had to take a Victory Blvd bus down to the friggin ferry then take the S48 back to get home. I didn't get home until midnight after leaving the city almost 6 hours ago. Incredible. Now if there are any signs of snow I immediately leave the office early. The one thing that is good now is that at least you have the (MTA) website which gives updates on what is what. You didn't have that before.

There are visible damage and invisible damage, such as cables. This is really here that the water is dangerous.

A metro network can work with few damaged walls in stations but it couldn't work if the signalisation is not functioning.

I am pretty impressed by the speed of the recovery after Sandy, my local network Paris metro network will also face the same problem with flooding.

We know that a big flood will happen, the previous one was in 1910.

Statistically the chance to have the next centennial flood in the next few years is pretty high.

While in 1910 systems were pretty basic, now with automation and all the other security measures, recovering a subway after a flood is more complicated.

A lot of people these days seem to have the nerve to stroll up to conductors and yell at them about the fare hike. You never see those people do things that actually make a difference—like attend a fare hike hearing or voting against those anti-transit politicians (in fact, they probably don't even vote). The conductors at the terminals are sitting ducks (like the (B) at Brighton Beach).

A lot of people these days seem to have the nerve to stroll up to conductors and yell at them about the fare hike. You never see those people do things that actually make a difference—like attend a fare hike hearing or voting against those anti-transit politicians (in fact, they probably don't even vote). The conductors at the terminals are sitting ducks (like the (B) at Brighton Beach).

Where did this happen at?? Must be on the subways because I don't see this on the express bus, nor on the LIRR or MetroNorth.

Where did this happen at?? Must be on the subways because I don't see this on the express bus, nor on the LIRR or MetroNorth.

The (B) at Brighton Beach during the morning. I was on the (Q) and the doors were closing when I saw a black lady arguing about the cost of a sandwich versus the cost of a ride to the conductor who was standing in the train waiting for the (B) to get the green light.

LOL... Typical and disturbing... <_<

I can't help but note the races of the people involved. There was a an enraged white dude a few weeks ago bitching at every subway conductor passing by 36 Street (4 Avenue). This fare hike has everyone pissed, but few are intelligent enough to see the real problem—the people who really pull the strings.

People bitching about MTA fares going up but no bitching on food prices and milk going up. Adapt and live on. As I said either on this post or another, you just re-budget and you're good to go. Give up luxuries to survive.

Every single one of them should be sent to a third world country for 3 months.

Hasn't the fair debate been going on since the IRT days foward?? If I understand the metro card, for 112 bucks a month that is unlimited subway/bus transportation?? If that is so I wish I could go everywhere for that money!! My 2 out of the city cents....

Ever since the 10 cent fare...

That woman is an idiot. Does she honestly think the conductors set the fares? smh...

Idiot is an easier way to say non-railfanner.

Archived