Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Subwayfan12

How does the MTA maintain time

How can southbound (6) trains arrive every 2-3 minutes without being delayed, yet the (4) train arrives 5-8 minutes and gets delayed? Is it because the (4) shares the line with the (5)?

Why is there so much traffic and delays at 138th street-GC in the am rush hours. Sometimes the (4) has to wait for two (5)'s to pass and vice versa. Plus, the trains move sluggish along the way to 125th street. When something/someone messes up line and the (4) has to stop at 138th street, everything moves faster which is quite weird.

Ah, only one thing needed to be said here:

(4)(5)(6) WELCOME TO THE INFAMOUS LEXINGTON AVENUE LINE! (4)(5)(6)

Edited by NovaCSW8030
  • Upvote 5

Let's put it this way.... EVERY LINE GETS DELAYED EVERY NOW AND THEN. The (4)(5) happen to suffer from them more often than others, although for my morning commute it was the (6) which was delayed and the (4)(5) were doing alright.

• Upvote 3

the 6 does not interact with the 4 or the 5. something that goes wrong on the express tracks is not going to spill over to the local or vice versa, unless one side is sent onto the other.

• Upvote 3

Are the 1.3 million passengers of the Lexington Avenue IRT only for the Lexington Avenue section or for all the entire services (4, 5, 6) that serve this section of track ?

Wikipedia is not clear about it.

What I don't get is didn't they do all of this signal work to alleviate delays with the (4) and (5) ? To be honest I usually stick with the (6) because it can be just as fast as the (4) and (5) . What's also annoying is they cut back on (6) service. What they should do is market the (6) more and get more folks off of the (4) and (5) this way it would help out with the overcrowding a little because there are points in which the (6) can literally empty out and everyone will go running for the (4) and (5) only to sit there and crawl from stop to stop. Also wouldn't it be a bad idea to extend the (6) to Bowling Green sometimes or would that create more delays for the (4) and (5) down there?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

What I don't get is didn't they do all of this signal work to alleviate delays with the (4) and (5) ? To be honest I usually stick with the (6) because it can be just as fast as the (4) and (5) . What's also annoying is they cut back on (6) service. What they should do is market the (6) more and get more folks off of the (4) and (5) this way it would help out with the overcrowding a little because there are points in which the (6) can literally empty out and everyone will go running for the (4) and (5) only to sit there and crawl from stop to stop. Also wouldn't it be a bad idea to extend the (6) to Bowling Green sometimes or would that create more delays for the (4) and (5) down there?

The only time the (6) can be extended to Bowling Green is during late nights. Other times it can't merge with the expresses as the tracks are at capacity. So is the (6) itself. I'm not sure if it can be extended there during the weekends..

Edited by 6 Lexington Ave

The only time the (6) can be extended to Bowling Green is during late nights. Other times it can't merge with the expresses as the tracks are at capacity. So is the (6) itself. I'm not sure if it can be extended there during the weekends..

What max capacity?? You mean the (6) during rush hours or when exactly?

The (6) during rush hours. But the merging causes delays regardless if it's at capacity.

Yeah but they could bump up service on the (6) a bit more other times.