Nelson Mandela in Hosptial as his "sparkle" fades says his wife

Shortline Bus

alg-mandela-610-jpg.jpg

South Africa's former President Nelson Mandela is suffering from a recurring lung infection and is responding to medical treatments, the nation's presidency said Tuesday.

The ailing Mandela, 94, has been hospitalized since Saturday for medical tests at 1 Military Hospital near South Africa's capital, Pretoria.

Mandela's wife said it is tough to watch the anti-Apartheid icon "ageing."

I mean, this spirit and this sparkle, you see that somehow it's fading," Graça Machel told eNews Channel Africa on Monday, the Telegraph reported.

His granddaughter says he is handling the adversity well.

"I think he takes it in his strides, he has come to accept that it's part of growing old, and it's part of humanity as such,” Ndileka Mandela told the Telegraph. “At some point you will dependent on someone else, he has come to embrace it.”

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...6#ixzz2ElHnfHW2

His chances don't look too good...

His efforts, though, in helping South Africa get rid of apartheid, its oppresive system of racism, were incredible and inspiring.

Very true. Maybe he has one last victory in him but honestly it's going to be very diiffculty at his current age. If he was even 75 or 80 years old that a big difference than at 94.

Update: Nelson's health has improved after performing surgical procedures to remove gallstones. Presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj said he had visited Mandela today, stating that "He is looking much better. They (doctors) say there is no crisis, but add that they are in no hurry to send him home just yet." He was able to talk to Mandela briefly as well.

Which means to me that he is off mechanical ventilator support from the lung infection and is definitely in recovery.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/18/us-safrica-mandela-idUSBRE8BH0WR20121218

Archived