Paris metro and other network

Minato ku

The subway in Kiev is typically in Soviet style like Moscow or Saint Petersburg metro.

OMG, old station, reminds me of entrance to WC :lol:

This sign is original from 2nd war? Or just copy of it?

Most of Paris was built during before the second world war.

I don't know if the sign is original or not, it could be.

By passengers? Who is nambavan?

Basically, this is the number of people who pass the turnstiles at the entrance.

I precise that it is the number of entries because the numbers in some networks (London by example) also includes the exits.
This also means that transfer between different metro lines is not included in this number.

Who is nambavan ?  :huh: 

T_17.gifT2_17.gif Musée de Sèvres
The central part of tram line T2 is a former suburban railway line that was in service until 1993.
It was the last suburban railway line of Paris with a third rail. the line was not very attractive had bad connection, low frequencies and a low ridership.
This line stopped 500m before the big commuter hub of la Défense at Puteaux station.

In 1997 the T2 opened instead of the old railway line, providing better connection, services and frequencies.
The line has been extended twice since the opening in 1997.
In 2009 and 2012.

Musée de Sèvres is next to Seine river. The station provides interchance withe the metro line 9 (Pont de Sèvres) and many bus lines at the other side of the river.
DSC27038a.jpg

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The subway in Kiev is typically in Soviet style like Moscow or Saint Petersburg metro.

Yes, but i meant something else.... unlike Paris subway Russian/Ukrainian has separate rails, and i guess its more safely (in order to avoid head-on collision of trains).

Most of Paris was built during before the second world war.

I don't know if the sign is original or not, it could be.

Basically, this is the number of people who pass the turnstiles at the entrance.

I precise that it is the number of entries because the numbers in some networks (London by example) also includes the exits.

This also means that transfer between different metro lines is not included in this number.

Who is nambavan ?  :huh: 

Lol, i just asked, i thought may be somewhere in internet statistic about daily number of passengers in subway.. :ph34r: 

Just too lazy for searching today. :D 

DSC27038a.jpg

Cool tram and interesting house above!

Yes, but i meant something else.... unlike Paris subway Russian/Ukrainian has separate rails, and i guess its more safely (in order to avoid head-on collision of trains).

Honestly there is nothing unsafe in Paris configuration, there are two tracks.

If Russian/Ukrainian subways have a different design this is because they use a different construction method..

Soviet metro are deep under the ground, Paris metro is close to the surface following streets.

There are section of Moscow or Kiev metro or the two tracks are next to each other.

Lol, i just asked, i thought may be somewhere in internet statistic about daily number of passengers in subway.. :ph34r: 

Just too lazy for searching today. :D

There are 5 million daily passengers in Paris metro network.

1.524 billion passengers in 2011.

Cool tram and interesting house above!

The house above is the old train station.

M_17.gifM03_17.gif Gallieni

Gallieni is the eastern terminal stop of the line 3, it is located under an highway exchange, the area include a big local bus station, the main international coach terminal of Paris and a shopping mall.

The station opened in 1971.

DSC18286a.jpg

The platform hall has 4 tracks.

DSC47341a.jpg

Gallieni had 6,314,009 entiries in 2011.

M_17.gifM03_17.gif Saint-Lazare

Today was not the best day to work along the line 3.

Well, it is almost never a good day when you work in the western side of the line 3.

When you are here, you have at least 5 or 6 trains to wait before entering in a train.

DSC51660a.jpg

Next train in two minutes. Obviously trains are already packed before arriving at Saint-Lazare, this wouldn't be fun if it wasn't the case :D .

DSC51664a.jpg

Omg, too many people on the last pic.   :blink:

Poor train...

There are 5 million daily passengers in Paris metro network.

1.524 billion passengers in 2011.

How many in NYC subway for example?

How many in NYC subway for example?

5.3 million daily passengers.

1.640 billion passenger in 2011.

The ridership of Paris metro is pretty comparable to New York subway.

Mercedes Citaro of the CIF bus network.

the CIF bus network mostly serves the northeast suburbs of Paris.

DSC46370a.jpg

Traverciel network line 27 at Rueil-Malmaison RER A station

Heuliez GX 327

DSC51686a.jpg

Note that you can see at the bottom of the image a Irisbus Citelis (line 158 of RATP bus network)

DSC51684a.jpg

Traverciel network serves some southwestern suburbs of Paris.

For several reasons.

No need of them in Front Populaire, it is terminal station with a low or medium traffic.

The trains, the old MF67 have four doors per cars while the more recent rolling stocks (since 1978) have three large doord per car.

We need to wait a replacement of the rolling stock for planning platform doors in the line 12.

Installing platform doors in old lines was only planned for the line 1 and 13.

The line 1 is driverless.

The line 13 has branches and is very crowded, it will have a new ATO CBTC system and a very high frequencies 90s or 40tph instead of 95s or 38tph today and 105s or 34tph before.

As I wrote in the other thread, Paris didn't built platform doors only for safety but mostly to improve the service and increase the frequencies.

The line 12 has the third lowest ridership of the big line of Paris metro (excluding the small shuttle bis lines), it doesn't need of them for the moment.

In the line 13, there is a timer in some platform to show how many second the train should stop on station. (38s max)

DSC44309a.jpg

Frequencies: next train in 1 minutes, the second in 2 minutes, the third in 3 minutes and the the fourth in 5 minutes.

DSC50108a.jpg

Heuliez GX 317 of line 84 are the oldest bus of the RATP, in since June 1995.

They were the first low floor bus on the network. 

While many newer renault Agora were withdraw, those buses still run on line 84.

DSC44261a.jpg

RER_17.gifRER-b_17.gifRER-c_17.gif Massy-Palaiseau

Massy-Palaiseau is a major suburban transportation hub in southern outer suburbs.

The station is served by the RER B and two branches of the RER C

Massy-Palaiseau is made of two stations.

The  RATP with the RER B station and the SNCF with the RER C station, both separated by a train yard. 

There 120m (394ft) between the two stations.

Last years a new building opened between the two stations, replacing the old one in bad state and undersized.

DSC42435a.jpg

Old building the RER B station

DSC42321a.jpg

RER B platforms. The RER B station had 8,479,103 entries in 2011. It is the busiest station of the line B outside Central Paris.

DSC42437a.jpg

DSC42425a.jpg

DSC42417a.jpg

RER C platforms and the old building.

DSC34279a.jpg

Next to Massy Palaiseau is the high speed intercity train station (TGV) Massy TGV.

When TGV bypass Paris, they usually serve this station (all the intercity trains stations in Paris are terminal).

The TGV platforms are undergound.

DSC42329a.jpg

M_17.gifM06_17.gif Chevaleret

With 6.1km above the ground out 13.6km (45%), the line 6 is the most overground line of Paris metro in number of km and in ratio.

Note that 91% of the metro network is underground.

The line 6 is the south semi-"circular" line of central Paris.

Chevaleret station opened in 1909.

Line 6 is rubber tired.

DSC21289a.jpg

DSC21290a.jpg

Chevaleret had 2,999,174 entries in 2011. The 175th station.

M_17.gifM06_17.gif Chevaleret

With 6.1km above the ground out 13.6km (45%), the line 6 is the most overground line of Paris metro in number of km and in ratio.

Note that 91% of the metro network is underground.

The line 6 is the south semi-"circular" line of central Paris.

Chevaleret station opened in 1909.

Line 6 is rubber tired.

DSC21289a.jpg

DSC21290a.jpg

Chevaleret had 2,999,174 entries in 2011. The 175th station.

Is this elevated along the road? 

No Pants Subway Day is not a big thing in Paris.

It is only a few people, so even if you take the metro this day, you will not see them.

Just like in New York City! Never learned about Paris having an elevated railway on a road before!  :D

It is not the only line, line 2 and 5 have elevated section along road.

M_17.gifM02_17.gif Between Barbes and Jaures (2.2km)

DSC05167a.jpg

DSC47582a.jpg

DSC15513a.jpg

M_17.gifM05_17.gif Between gare d'Austerlitz and Saint Marcel  (0.3km)

DSC25326a.jpg

The line 6 with 6km elevated along the road, beat them.

There is also three elevated subway bridge above the Seine river in Central Paris

Pont d'Austerlitz line 5 (only subway)

Pont de Bercy line 6 (subway and road)

Pont de Bir Hakem, line 6 (subway and road). Bir Hakeim bridge is famous for its view on the Eiffel tower.

There are two other elevated bridge in suburbs (line 8 and line 13).

M_17.gifM01_17.gif I have forgotten it in the previous message  but the line 1 run also on a bridge above the  ground on the Seine river.

The line is in the middle a freeway  between Neuilly and La Défense.

Since the line is driverless, you have a beautiful view on the skyscrapers

DSC35636a.jpg

M_17.gifM08_17.gif The southeast end of the line 8 is also in the middle of an expressway

Arriving at Créteil Prefecture, t he line isn't driverless but I have a trick to take picture like this.  ;)

DSC02402a.jpg

The "track" in the middle is for ATO.

Only the lines 3bis, 7bis and 10 don't have an automatic system..

IdF2_17.gifIdF2-J_17.gif Colombes

The station is located in northwestern inner suburbs of Paris, in the municipality of Colombes.

It is made of four tracks and one island platform.

Two tracks for local services that stop at this station and two other for express services that don't stop at Colombes.

Colombes is served by the Transilien network J with trains departing from Saint-Lazare terminal in Central Paris.

There is a train every ten minutes in rush hour and every 15 minutes, the rest of the day.

RIB/RIO (reversible suburban inox cars tracked by an electric locomotive) leaving the station bound to Saint-Lazare.

DSC51835a.jpg

View from the main street.

DSC51838a.jpg

Buses at Colombes station.

The train station is served by 5 normal bus lines (lines 166, 167, 304, 367, 378) and two minibus lines (lines 566 and Colomb'Bus or 366). All are operated by the RATP.

In this pîcture, there are a Renault Agora S of the line 378 and a Renault Agora L (articulated) of the line 304.

DSC51839a.jpg

To go in Colombes, I took a trashed RIB car.

It been a long time that I hadn't seen a train in such a bad state.

The interior was full of graffiti and doors don't worked properly.  :angry: 

I would not say that trains in Paris are always in proper state (finding a train without scratchiti is rare) but it is never as bad.

Fortunately only a few cars of the train were as bad, unfortunately I was inside one.    :( 

DSC51832a.jpg

According the announcement on stations, several services on Transilien J are cancelled because of some problem with trains, it may explain why they let this train running.

RIB cars will be withdrawn by 2015 and replaced by new Z50000. See post 45.

Archived