And the Pokey Awards goes to... the M66 and M42 for slowest buses in Gotham

Harry

I just hope that the next set of buses the (MTA) orders doesn't have these height restriction problems because on a line like the M66 they make service far slower having the RTSs on them. It's amazing that they would order hundreds of buses and spend millions of dollars on them when they can't be used on certain lines. <_<

it's design and factors MTA has zero control over your gonna have to petition for DOT to increase clearance or run artics like M86 that are short enough to pass.

Well I think the point is to get the (MTA) to improve them and they certainly can take steps to make them faster. The question is how long will it take them to implement these changes? It's clear for example that they want folks to use the M42 because of their downright stubbornness to reinstate the M104 despite numerous petitions to have that line restored to the UN (which BTW I will continue to fight to have that restored, but that's another topic), but yet they haven't done much to make the line more reliable. You don't have three buses sitting behind each other all at 8th and 42nd when you can have at least one of those other buses making pick ups further down the line. The line bunches like crazy in addition to it being slow. Give the line a bus lane like 34th street, signal priority and artics! They've catered to 34th street like crazy when there are just as many tourists and business folks if not more along 42nd street who need reliable service.

I agree but those buses along 34th street are just too small. In fact every time I think about using it I try to avoid it for that very reason. It's complete chaos and to be honest the service could be quicker if they had artics because people could board and ascend the bus quicker.

If a bus lane is added to 42nd then M104 can extend until then all your going to accomplish is slow down the M104 by 40% and make it bunch as bad as the M42 ohh why not extend 42nd street shuttle to the UN? or add a 2nd ave stop for the (7)?

Does anybody know the actually height of the Orion 7 (either OG or NG)?

Those buses should not have a problem coming through there.....I come though the 66st transverse with a 4505 and have never had any problems at all.....and those buses are 11'5.

As for the M66 and CP: there's only so much you can do other than to either rebuild the bridge or lower the roadway to accommodate taller buses. Buses aren't going to stay the same height forever.

MCI and Prevost buses can run through Central Park (not with the greatest of ease under the bridges but they can fit as long as the driver stays away from the curb) and they are slightly taller than transit buses...

Edit: didnt see the post above me but we are driving home the same point. I think Prevosts are even an inch or two taller than an MCI...

Those buses should not have a problem coming through there.....I come though the 66st transverse with a 4505 and have never had any problems at all.....and those buses are 11'5.

My thinking is that the batteries are at the very edges of the bus and they have strait edges. I would imagine if the edges were rounder or smaller like with the 3960 and up NGs, they probably wouldn't have too much issues as far as the bus 'swaying' and getting too close to the edges of the underpass/tunnel. Thus probably why if they had the lithium ion battery buses, they could run more hybrids on the M66. Of course, just me speculating.

11ft or just shy of 11ft.

Archived