Time Magazine names Obama "person of the year": Whitney's death tops google

Shortline Bus

article-google-2012-1212.jpg

Call it the greatest search of all: Whitney Houston, who passed away on Feb. 11, sent the Internet buzzing, triggering the year’s biggest spike in U.S. search traffic.

Her name drew a greater groundswell of searches this year than any other topic, according to Google's year-end Zeitgeist report, a year-end look back on what people searched for most in 2012.

The results show that Americans took to Google to make sense of breaking news stories. Hurricane Sandy and Election 2012 ranked second and third on the trending searches list, followed by The Hunger Games, Jeremy Lin, Olympics 2012, Amanda Todd, Gangnam Style, Michael Clarke Duncan and Kony 2012.

Google defined trending searches as "the searches that had the highest amount of traffic over a sustained period of time in 2012 as compared to 2011."

When it comes to trending events, politics and natural disasters competed with sports for the attention of the nation's Googlers.

Hurricane Sandy attracted the greatest surge of search queries, followed by the Presidential Election, the Super Bowl, the Olympics and UEFA Euro 2012. The Kony Movement, a viral campaign against the leader of Uganada's Lord's Resistance Army, ranked fourth, while "SOPA Protest," the wave of opposition to a controversial piece of online copyright legislation, ranked fifth.

The Aurora shooting, the Trayvon Martin Case and Hurricane Isaac rounded off the list.

Korean rapper Psy may have edged out Justin Bieber for most-viewed YouTube video of all-time, but more people searched for Bieber's "Boyfriend" on Google this year than for PSY's viral hit "Gangnam Style." "Call Me Maybe," Carly Rae Jepsen's much-parodied single, came in third

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...4#ixzz2Esl0rvII

FYI. This is sort important as this is what many news producers/exces use these days as a "guide" in what shown on tv news, online and newspapers. reactions?

Yea, I saw this on the news this morning. Big surprise that Whitney Houston was the top search, I was thinking something entirely different.

Yup. Whitney's death is up there among most attention in entertainment history, i.e Elvis, Lennon and Micheal Jackson. I was surprised myself. I thought maybe the 2012 Presidential elections, Hurricane Sandy, Jermey Lin, Tim Tebow or even the Olympics would be the most searched this year myself.

Yup. Whitney's death is up there among most attention in entertainment history, i.e Elvis, Lennon and Micheal Jackson. I was surprised myself. I thought maybe the 2012 Presidential elections, Hurricane Sandy, Jermey Lin, Tim Tebow or even the Olympics would be the most searched this year myself.

Yea, see I was thinking the election would do it since that's so important to everyone in the world really, not just us.

Meanwhile as the end of the year media awards continues Time Magazine as expected names Barack Obama it's 2012 "person of the year" for top newsmaker.

http://www.huffingto...nk1&pLid=247664

o-TIME-570.jpg?6

IMO other selections could been in no order: 1)gun control adovactes in wake of the Gabby Giffords, Aurora and Newtown massacres. 2)Egypt's new President Morsi and how the only major semi-Democratic Arab nation in middle east will stay a semi democracy? 3)Hurricane Sandy

4)Lebron James 5)2012 US Olympic Woman's Gymnatics team led by Gold medal winning Gabby Douglas.

Personally the victims of gun violence/gun control adovcates were the biggest news story in the US this past year and should been picked by Time.

Reactions?

Doesn't surprise me.. In 2001 they were going to pick OBL as man of the year before switching to guliani to avoid a major backlash because 'he affected more people'. That rag is not even useful for a dog to take a dump on.

Concourse back in the day Time did select Hitler as "man(person)of the year" so it's not like they have picked leaders who committed genocide before.

As a news person myself, the newsmaker of 2012 (just making point of being in news all year in US) should be those adovcating gun control after these numerous shooting massacres. Obama was a no brainer in 2008 when he first got elected but this year i dont think he was the newsmaker, readers in US and around the globe were talking about the most.

Archived