Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are most of the A trains still terminating at lefferts blvd because I'm pretty sure Howard beach/JFK airport can't handle all those trains. It's not even a terminal station with an island platform.

Howard beach can handle alot of trains, they relay them south of the station, plus they can lay up trains there as well on the middle track

I still think when they bring service back its gonna be in sections before full service, meaning the (H) may wind up going to Rockaway Blvd (like the (A) in 2 sections GO back in May) but with the (A)'s still turning at howard beach, more like a single track operation with full length trains every 20 mintues during the rush hours only

@ GC, they can't because of the north channel bridge

I was wondering, would it be better to relocate the test track to the segment bw the Howard beach and just north of the n. aqueduct stop?

They've done that in many GOs in the past; I remember when one particular GO was forcing (A) trains to terminate and relay at Howard Beach. Plus, theyve also done this with (JFK) trains in the past.

Still got the ruined signals there... but this is excellent. If work keeps progressing at this rate, we may see restoration by February/March.

Trains may be bypassing Broad Channel, as that station probably suffered tons of damage.

I meant to phrase that as Aqueduct to Howard Beach. The bridges are south of HB, so there won't be an issue at all. I would guess they want a flat terrain for testing. Otherwise, it's a perfect stretch for the test tracks over what's now unused track.

Well the flats is about 3 miles long which is perfect for train testing

Still got the ruined signals there... but this is excellent. If work keeps progressing at this rate, we may see restoration by February/March.

Trains may be bypassing Broad Channel, as that station probably suffered tons of damage.

I seriously doubt feb/march. That's just 2 pics. One of the flats, one of just south of broad channel. There's still 3 miles of track and landfill plus 2 bridges. I'm sticking with may or June. But since I will me moving upstate on christmas, sadly, I may not be in nyc for its grand reopening.

http://secondavenues...-back-on-friday

(R) back on Friday

(A) Rockaways will come back BEFORE the (1) to South Ferry

Very pathetic since the (A) line got damage for 3 miles and the (1) got damage only at South Ferry. I am very surprised that just one station takes much longer to restore than the 3 mile washed out Rockway Line!!!

Very pathetic since the (A) line got damage for 3 miles and the (1) got damage only at South Ferry. I am very surprised that just one station takes much longer to restore than the 3 mile washed out Rockway Line!!!

The (A) is above ground and the (1) is below ground.

With the (A), it was a matter of just building up the foundation and putting the trestle back up. With the (1), it almost sounds like they had to rip out the station and start from scratch, for $530 million. They have to flood-proof it and everything, and meanwhile, you have to make sure you don't damage any other subway tunnels.

This also might be a matter of priorities. There are a ton of subway stations in the area of south ferry. The (A) and (S) trains are the only rail options to the areas they serve in the Rockaways. and the (H) for now but that's just a shuttle to a bus for the time being...

With the (A), it was a matter of just building up the foundation and putting the trestle back up. With the (1), it almost sounds like they had to rip out the station and start from scratch, for $530 million. They have to flood-proof it and everything, and meanwhile, you have to make sure you don't damage any other subway tunnels.

Like I said in the OT thread, I hope it's full funded by the Fed. $530 million for those 2 stations? GTFO. If the MTA has to spend any more than 20% of that, then they should just say 'f*ck it' and leave it for relays only.

The MTA is still sticking to spring/summer for the (A) restoration. To me, spring sounds reasonable given that at least one track can support trains as of today (for towing down the R46's). Unless they run out of spare signals and have to go find more....

Apparently South Ferry will take another YEAR, at least.

Its awesome to see these pics of progress. Taking the Q52 isnt horrible, but since there's no late night Q52 service, im in need of the restoration go swiftly!

You and the rest of us down here. The good news is, the MTA has been doing what they can for us here. We got 3-legged transfers, an extra hour for those transfers and overnight Q22 service between Mott and 116th st. They also provined extra buses from various depots(as seen in pics from various members here). Atleast there's also overnight Q113 and Q35 service on either end.

It's great to see and hear about all the work they're doing. Great public involment!

Slightly OT, but the latest update on the Rebuilding the Rockaways page calls the Rockaways a "barrier island". Guess it comes from living there that saying that gets under my skin because the Rockaways are on a PENINSULA!

Archived