Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep the (H) or restore the (S), the bullet doesn't matter as nothing will be highly costy if they replace the (S) signs with the (H).

Not really, seeing how signs might need to be replaced at certain stops anyways, and really all the MTA does is put a sticker over the old bullet.

Keep the (H) or restore the (S), the bullet doesn't matter as nothing will be highly costy if they replace the (S) signs with the (H).

Not really, seeing how signs might need to be replaced at certain stops anyways, and really all the MTA does is put a sticker over the old bullet.

My apologies, I misread your post. I thought you were saying it would be costly.

It's great to see and hear about all the work they're doing. Great public involment!

Slightly OT, but the latest update on the Rebuilding the Rockaways page calls the Rockaways a "barrier island". Guess it comes from living there that saying that gets under my skin because the Rockaways are on a PENINSULA!

Actually, it IS considered a "barrier island": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Barrier_Islands

Actually, it IS considered a "barrier island": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Barrier_Islands

The article you linked does not include rockaway on the list of islands. The closest thing I found was Rockaway being referred to as a "barrier spit" - http://www.seagrant.sunysb.edu/cprocesses/pdfs/LIDynamicSouthShore.pdf (sorry link is being copied from mobile so may not be hyperlinked). My position stands.

It calls it "Rockway Beach" (Second paragraph).

Rockaway Beach is listed as the west boundary (the NYC/Nassau border) just like Shinnecock Bay is listed as the east one. This has been beat into my head during the 3rd grade geography lessons at PS 42 (on the peninsula). Totally OT now, I know.

My main question is how did the R46s get there. It was my understanding that they got all equipment out of the Rockaways before the storm. Also when could service to Beach-116 start.

1) The 46s were towed by diesel cars across the flats. One track from the mainland to the peninsula has been restored to facilitate the car move. Said track still has no power to the third rail or signals, so no, they can't resume any type of normal service yet

2) Service to Rockaway Park will resume when the Rockaway Park tower gets its power back on.

They should keep the (H) in my opinion. There is already an (S) along Franklin ave and 42th street. The (MTA) should just rename the one on Franklin ave the (W) and have the IRT keep the (S), so they don't confuse people.

Make the Rockaway Park one the (H) and the rest keep the same (technically the grand central shittle is called the 0 train)

theres really no confusion. franklin, rock park and 42nd. And besides, this way, each "division" (IRT, IND, BMT) has its only shuttle. The confusion would be turning the Rock Park back to the H and the Franklin to the W. The MTA eliminated the H for a reason. Shuttles are more commonly known as S. Lets not turn this into another bullet renaming thread shall we please?

+1 for the #39 post. That said, back to topic. So sorry for the Rockaways getting hit hard. Sometimes, I even keep having dreams at night about me heading to school and an R46 (A) pulls in with the LCD signs reading "TO FAR ROCKAWAY". Then I wake up and its just some crazy dream of the past. Hope to seeing the IND Rockaway Line's entire restoration as well as the (A) and (S) routes.

Make the Rockaway Park one the (H) and the rest keep the same (technically the grand central shittle is called the 0 train)

no, the designation is 8 since the 3rd av el was torn down decades ago.

Maybe when they do restore service, they should keep the H instead of the S and maybe extend it?

extend it where? Howard beach? I mean technically it'd be a major plus over broad channel, but its not like the shuttle is ever crowded enough (excluding the summer) to warrant an extension.

Archived