Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

No its not.

The original designation is the S shuttle train from Broad Channel to Rockaway Park.

They also have an Rockaway Park A train.

The H was designated since Hurricane Sandy which was lifted by a crane hoisted on the tracks and built therein.

The H train is only running from Far Rockaway/Mott Ave to Beach 90 Street.

no no no no no... your wrong bravo 

from wikipedia (i know its frowned upon but for once its actually right for once) 

In the 1980s, the shuttle's identifier was changed to H (colored blue) instead of reverting to HH, as the New York City subway system had abolished two-letter designations by then. Prior to 1990, late night A service went to Lefferts Boulevard with no service to Far Rockaway. During this time again, the Rockaway Shuttle ran from Rockaway Park to Far Rockaway, to Euclid Avenue, and finally, back down to Rockaway Park.

In 1993, service was changed. All late night A service traveled to Far Rockaway and service to Lefferts Boulevard was provided by a shuttle to Euclid Avenue. The Rockaway Park Shuttle now ran between Rockaway Park and Broad Channel at all times. Also in 1993, special <A> service began running from Rockaway Park to Dyckman on the IND Eighth Avenue Line in Inwood, Manhattan, during the morning rush (later Inwood – 207th Street) and from 59th Street – Columbus Circle (now 168th Street) to Rockaway Park during the evening rush. 

Now this a.png service to the Rockaways resumes May 30, 2012

Seem to be some good news.

The only problem is that this is 2013 not 2012.

Hurricane Sandy occurred Oct 2012 lol

oh the  (MTA) screwed it up on the website i see when it made a release from prince Cuomo

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I been screaming for months now. Everyone thinking the (H) disappearing forever or some shit like that, but yet it never left in the first place.

Finally someone gets it...

Does it still count as a 12-9 :P

I see what you're saying that was in the 70's bro lol

H.rock_.park_.jpg

no no no no no... your wrong bravo 

from wikipedia (i know its frowned upon but for once its actually right for once) 

oh the  (MTA) screwed it up on the website i see when it made a release from prince Cuomo

Yep youre correct sorry about that.

It did resurrected.

lol it may stay as the H train

that was the time of the double fare correct?

This what it was before Sandy hit,

s_gry16.gifRockaway Park Shuttle

Stations / Cross Streets Subway
Transfers
s_gry16.gif   QUEENS gar_1.gif   Broad Channel a_16.gif gar_1.gif   Beach 90 Street
Rockaway Freeway   gar_1.gif   Beach 98 Street
Rockaway Freeway   gar_1.gif   Beach 105 Street
Rockaway Freeway   gar_1.gif   Rockaway Park-
Beach 116 Street
ada_2.gif

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/sline.htm#rockaway

Because the original designation for the Rockaway shuttle was (H)? And the (MTA) still uses that designation internally to refer to it.

The Broad Channel - Rock Park shuttle hasn't been publicly referred to as the H in two decades, and it isn't going to be publicly referred to as the H next week either, because it's functionally nothing like the service that has been publicly referred to as the H for the past half-year. Culver was clearly asking about the public designation.

That's what I been screaming for months now. Everyone thinking the (H) disappearing forever or some shit like that, but yet it never left in the first place.

I certainly didn't see any H symbols on signage or on maps between 1993 and 2012. Yes, the letter H has been used internally to distinguish the Rock Park shuttle from the two other shuttles - I think most of us know that by now. But there won't be any trains signed H in a week, and for good reason - as far as the public is concerned, the H runs between Far Rockaway and Beach 90th, with only one station in common with the Rock Park shuttle.

I certainly didn't see any H symbols on signage or on maps between 1993 and 2012. Yes, the letter H has been used internally to distinguish the Rock Park shuttle from the two other shuttles - I think most of us know that by now. But there won't be any trains signed H in a week, and for good reason - as far as the public is concerned, the H runs between Far Rockaway and Beach 90th, with only one station in common with the Rock Park shuttle.

Uh, then you haven't been looking very closely. Whenever equipment without LED signage on the sides ran on the shuttle (H) signs were used. Last summer's R32 swap was a perfect example.

Here's a clip from 2011 as well: 

Uh, then you haven't been looking very closely. Whenever equipment without LED signage on the sides ran on the shuttle (H) signs were used. Last summer's R32 swap was a perfect example.

Here's a clip from 2011 as well: 

The Rockaway Park shuttle virtually always runs R46's, and before that it ran only R44's - all signed S. Last summer there were R32's on the A but never, as far as I know, on the shuttle. The previous summer, there were occasional R32 sightings on the shuttle, and, yes, some of them were signed H. (Congratulations, you found one on YouTube.)

Meanwhile, all station signage directs riders to the S, and the (pre-Sandy) map likewise displays the S.

Are you seriously suggesting that there was any intention on the part of NYCT or the MTA to refer to the Rockaway Park shuttle in public settings, prior to Hurricane Sandy, as the H? (By that reasoning I might conclude that there's an 13 train, because I was on a train with a 13 sign last week.)

there were occasional R32 sightings on the shuttle, and, yes, some of them were signed H. (Congratulations, you found one on YouTube.)

They were all signed (H). There is no (S) Rockaway Shuttle bullet on the R32s, to the best of my knowledge.

By your logic, the (0) train (the internal designation for the Times Square Shuttle) doesn't exist either and it's all in our heads, correct?

They were all signed (H). There is no (S) Rockaway Shuttle bullet on the R32s, to the best of my knowledge.

There is a "Shuttle" reading on the side sign, and of course the end signs can show any letter, including S.

But the point is that the R32's ran on the Rock Park shuttle for only a few days, and only, as far as I know, in 2011. Virtually every other train on those days, and virtually every train on every other day, was signed S, until Sandy.

By your logic, the (0) train (the internal designation for the Times Square Shuttle) doesn't exist either and it's all in our heads, correct?

Sigh. I think I made it pretty clear that I'm drawing a distinction between internal designations and public designations. (Besides, isn't the internal designation for the Times Square Shuttle GS, not 0?)

There is a "Shuttle" reading on the side sign, and of course the end signs can show any letter, including S.

So? If you just put up "Shuttle" people might confuse it with the Franklin Shuttle.

Sigh. I think I made it pretty clear that I'm drawing a distinction between internal designations and public designations. (Besides, isn't the internal designation for the Times Square Shuttle GS, not 0?)

I believe the Times Square Shuttle is 0, but regardless of whether or not it's an internal or public designation, the (H) is still not going away. Be nice if they could adopt it as the public designation, but w/e

So? If you just put up "Shuttle" people might confuse it with the Franklin Shuttle.

If somebody is stupid enough to confuse the Rockaway Park shuttle with the Franklin Shuttle, then they've got bigger issues to deal with...

I believe the Times Square Shuttle is 0, but regardless of whether or not it's an internal or public designation, the (H) is still not going away. Be nice if they could adopt it as the public designation, but w/e

I moved to the rockaways since 2001 and the designation on the rockaway park shuttle always been S Shuttle

At Beach 116 Street it has a sign A and S trains Rockaway Park Station.

Sorry I forgot how to post pic here lol

Guys, let's just be glad we're getting the entire IND Rockaway Line back up and running again. Weather they'll keep the (H) bullet for the public or not is up to the (MTA). All I care for is fanning on the (A) for the first time in the Rockaways this summer, seeing Rockaway Beach crowds and the new views across the Jamaica Bay. 

The Rockaway Park shuttle virtually always runs R46's, and before that it ran only R44's - all signed S. Last summer there were R32's on the A but never, as far as I know, on the shuttle. The previous summer, there were occasional R32 sightings on the shuttle, and, yes, some of them were signed H. (Congratulations, you found one on YouTube.)

Meanwhile, all station signage directs riders to the S, and the (pre-Sandy) map likewise displays the S.

Are you seriously suggesting that there was any intention on the part of NYCT or the MTA to refer to the Rockaway Park shuttle in public settings, prior to Hurricane Sandy, as the H? (By that reasoning I might conclude that there's an 13 train, because I was on a train with a 13 sign last week.)

You are again wrong -- R32s did indeed run on the shuttle last summer. As they did the year before when, again wrong, they were all signed as H. I am saddened to see that you were reduced to patronization in a futile attempt to keep your nose in the air when you are, objectively, incorrect on this matter. It happens to the best of us. Congratulations.

All that matters is that NYCT consciously ran fleets of trains designated as the H line hundreds of times over the past years, and that was far from an unintentional decision. Did the TA intend to stop using the S designation? No--and indeed nobody has argued that. But your statement that the H designation simply wasn't used from 1993-2012 is simply wrong, and trying to patronize will not change that, nor will changing the question. 

You are again wrong -- R32s did indeed run on the shuttle last summer. As they did the year before when, again wrong, they were all signed as H. I am saddened to see that you were reduced to patronization in a futile attempt to keep your nose in the air when you are, objectively, incorrect on this matter. It happens to the best of us. Congratulations.

All that matters is that NYCT consciously ran fleets of trains designated as the H line hundreds of times over the past years, and that was far from an unintentional decision. Did the TA intend to stop using the S designation? No--and indeed nobody has argued that. But your statement that the H designation simply wasn't used from 1993-2012 is simply wrong, and trying to patronize will not change that, nor will changing the question. 

Don't forget that R42 that was on the Shuttle that Chris took pictures of.

The A train was split into two sections

A Far Rockaway/Mott Ave to 207 Street

A Rockaway Park to 207 Street

S train from Broad Channel to Rockaway Park

After Sandy is H Train running from Far Rockaway/Mott Av to Beach 90 Street

Now I am waiting for the service to resume back to normalization

Look at the pics above it speaks a thousand word.

Three A trains Lefferts, Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway

I hope this is true for May 30 to resume service

Sandy Reroute

Posted: 05/26/2013  3:35PM

Until Thursday May 30, 2013:

a.png No trains between Howard Beach-JFK/Broad Channel and the Rockaways due to damage sustained during hurricane Sandy.

Free Shuttle buses operate nonstop between Howard Beach a.png and Mott Av h.png Stations.

h.png Free shuttle trains operate between Mott Av and Beach 90 St, days and evenings.

Q22 buses provide local service in the Rockaways.

If "Shuttle" is confusing, than so is S. I don't think there's much of a risk of confusion - the three full-time shuttles are nowhere near each other.

The H will be going away as a public designation simply because the current (temporary) H train and the regular Rock Park shuttle serve entirely different functions (and, aside from Beach 90th, entirely different stations).

Are you certain about that?

Because I did a bit of quick Googling and browsing of popular subway photography websites, and the only photos I've found of R32's on the Rock Park shuttle were from July 22-24, 2011. The YouTube video you posted? July 24, 2011.

Given how excited some people get over R32's (hey, I like them too), if they were running regularly on the shuttle for two summers, what are the chances that nobody got any photos of them outside of those three consecutive days?

Think about it. The shuttle normally runs full-length trains only on weekends in the summer, with four-car OPTO R46's at all other times, so why would there have been full-length trains of R32's (with conductors) on Friday, July 22, 2011? Because of a heat wave which drew unusually large crowds to the beach, to the point that the usual four-car trains were inadequate, and the three half-length trains had to be replaced with full-length trains on very short notice. In an emergency situation like that, car assignments are ignored, and there were two full-length trains of R32's available, so they were pressed into service on the shuttle. (The third train was probably just two of the regular R46 shuttles, coupled together.) And in the absence of "S" signs, the signs on the train were set to whatever the crew thought was closest.

Once the R32's were operating in shuttle service on July 22, they continued to operate there for the rest of that weekend. But that's it. On July 25, 2011, the shuttle was back to its usual R46 fleet, which remained there until Sandy hit.

Is it possible that I'm wrong? Sure, but having seen no evidence of any R32's on the Rock Park shuttle after July 24, 2011, I tend to doubt it. If you have any evidence, please share it, and I'll gladly retract my claim.

Fine. The H designation was used for three days in 2011, because the train crews decided that it was the closest reading available to the usual S. Happy now?

Beginning Tuesday morning, all Howard Beach (A) trips will continue LITE from JFK to (alternating) Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park. Revenue service is supposed to begin sometime on Thursday, assuming these test runs go well.

What do you mean LITE?

Is it running in time intervals as every 20 minutes or as scheduled?

If "Shuttle" is confusing, than so is S. I don't think there's much of a risk of confusion - the three full-time shuttles are nowhere near each other.

The H will be going away as a public designation simply because the current (temporary) H train and the regular Rock Park shuttle serve entirely different functions (and, aside from Beach 90th, entirely different stations).

Are you certain about that?

Because I did a bit of quick Googling and browsing of popular subway photography websites, and the only photos I've found of R32's on the Rock Park shuttle were from July 22-24, 2011. The YouTube video you posted? July 24, 2011.

Given how excited some people get over R32's (hey, I like them too), if they were running regularly on the shuttle for two summers, what are the chances that nobody got any photos of them outside of those three consecutive days?

Think about it. The shuttle normally runs full-length trains only on weekends in the summer, with four-car OPTO R46's at all other times, so why would there have been full-length trains of R32's (with conductors) on Friday, July 22, 2011? Because of a heat wave which drew unusually large crowds to the beach, to the point that the usual four-car trains were inadequate, and the three half-length trains had to be replaced with full-length trains on very short notice. In an emergency situation like that, car assignments are ignored, and there were two full-length trains of R32's available, so they were pressed into service on the shuttle. (The third train was probably just two of the regular R46 shuttles, coupled together.) And in the absence of "S" signs, the signs on the train were set to whatever the crew thought was closest.

Once the R32's were operating in shuttle service on July 22, they continued to operate there for the rest of that weekend. But that's it. On July 25, 2011, the shuttle was back to its usual R46 fleet, which remained there until Sandy hit.

Is it possible that I'm wrong? Sure, but having seen no evidence of any R32's on the Rock Park shuttle after July 24, 2011, I tend to doubt it. If you have any evidence, please share it, and I'll gladly retract my claim.

Fine. The H designation was used for three days in 2011, because the train crews decided that it was the closest reading available to the usual S. Happy now?

I posted images showing the designation.

Its been like that for years so I don't know where you guys are getting your information.

I live in Rockaway Beach area. I would know the difference.

For those that think youre correct well sorry to say you're all wrong LOL

I posted images showing the designation.

Its been like that for years so I don't know where you guys are getting your information.

I live in Rockaway Beach area. I would know the difference.

For those that think youre correct well sorry to say you're all wrong LOL

Just to clarify - you and I agree. We are both saying that the regular Rockaway Park shuttle is known, as far as the public is concerned, as S, not H.

Just to clarify - you and I agree. We are both saying that the regular Rockaway Park shuttle is known, as far as the public is concerned, as S, not H.

Yes as far as the public is concerned Rockaway Park Shuttle is S not H.

I haven't taken the H train since back in the early 80's

and now since the advent of Hurricane Sandy.

But its all good though.

Archived