Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just noticed that.  I still see no Rockaway Park. That must tough for those folks.  I don't get the 9:30pm end though.  Are they doing work on the interlocking where it goes out over the bridge to flats.  I get the part though about Rockaway Park, but you would think that they would have restored power and other items by now.  

I know they have the Q22? and Q53, but shouldn't they have free shuttle buses for the segment b/w 90th and 116th? Sure it's 16 blocks, but you can't expect everyone (elderly etc) to walk that. Or at least make 90th st on fare free.

I would had the route extended to 116th, one station at a time (slowly maybe) for when that day comes.... But I guess now is not the time.

I would had the route extended to 116th, one station at a time (slowly maybe) for when that day comes.... But I guess now is not the time.

I think that if trains were able to turn at B105 they would be able to restore service there, as the only thing out of commission is Rock Park terminal. Could a crewmember confirm or refute this?

Wait, what's the current schedule?

04:00 through 00:30

I know they have the Q22? and Q53, but shouldn't they have free shuttle buses for the segment b/w 90th and 116th? Sure it's 16 blocks, but you can't expect everyone (elderly etc) to walk that. Or at least make 90th st on fare free.

Well the thing is, theyve added an extra transfer to/from rockaway buses so free buses arent needed. (Theyve already have the most buses in rockaway ever). Instead of hoppin on the H, you use the extra transfer for the Q22. Problem solved. 

well the H is unnecessary in that example (and honestly a bad example, you may lose your extra hour)but basicaly. All rockaway buses have the second transfer and an extra hour to those transfers added. One can:

Q35>Q53>A  at rockaway blvd

Q53>2/5 train at flatbush and still have one more transfer

Q22>shuttle bus>A at Howard bch and still have one more transfer

Q22>Q35>2/5 train at Flatbush

Q113>E/J/Z at Jamaica center and still have one more transfer 

Q52/53>A at Rockaway blvd and still have one other transfer

Basically, as long as you start with a rockaway bus, followed by the nearest connecting subway, you get the second transfer. 

Heading back its business as usual (one transfer and 2 hr time limit) but if that 3rd transfer is a Rockaway bus and is within three hours of first dip/swipe the fare box on the rockaway bus displays 'OK' and it reads as a transfer

N31/32 buses have extra hour added as well(Nassau already has a 2 transfer system). 

I just noticed that.  I still see no Rockaway Park. That must tough for those folks.  I don't get the 9:30pm end though.  Are they doing work on the interlocking where it goes out over the bridge to flats.  I get the part though about Rockaway Park, but you would think that they would have restored power and other items by now.  

It's more than just power - Rockaway Park interlocking was severely damaged by the storm. Until the interlocking is back, service can't be extended past Beach 90th.

That's independent of service over the flats, and I don't know which is expected to come back first. (If the flats come back first, it will be interesting to see how service is run - the regular A plus a short shuttle between Broad Channel and Beach 90th?)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="pjbr40" data-cid="634821" data-time="1358691491"><p>

you folk may want to hold your thought thinking the rockaway will be finish. it will be delay because the found something near the right of way. I am not sure how accurate this is.<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1199472'>http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1199472</a></p></blockquote>

If it means keeping those Orion V CNGs out on the A shuttle well into the future, H continuing to operate, and maybe finding a piece of LIRR history, then hell yeah stop the work!

well the H is unnecessary in that example (and honestly a bad example, you may lose your extra hour)but basicaly. All rockaway buses have the second transfer and an extra hour to those transfers added. One can:

Q35>Q53>A  at rockaway blvd

Q53>2/5 train at flatbush and still have one more transfer

Q22>shuttle bus>A at Howard bch and still have one more transfer

Q22>Q35>2/5 train at Flatbush

Q113>E/J/Z at Jamaica center and still have one more transfer 

Q52/53>A at Rockaway blvd and still have one other transfer

Basically, as long as you start with a rockaway bus, followed by the nearest connecting subway, you get the second transfer. 

Heading back its business as usual (one transfer and 2 hr time limit) but if that 3rd transfer is a Rockaway bus and is within three hours of first dip/swipe the fare box on the rockaway bus displays 'OK' and it reads as a transfer

N31/32 buses have extra hour added as well(Nassau already has a 2 transfer system). 

So would somebody be able to take the (E)-Q113-Q22 on one transfer?

So would somebody be able to take the (E)-Q113-Q22 on one transfer?

just use the LIRR or Q53 from the (E)

Why? His point was to see if the 3 leg transfer works. Why would he need the LiRR?

Ive personally used the E>Q113>Q22 so yes, that works. And LIRR? Sure if you want to pay $6.00 off peak to Jamaica plus the 2.25 on the E and-depending where in rockaway you start your trip-2.25 for the Q22. This is an option for residents to make their commute easier and LESS expensive with no direct subway service. Not for us railfans who would love to say "i rode three modes of transit in one trip. Now using the Q53 in the 3-legged option will only work if your getting on the subway at Rockaway Blvd. Any subway station north of that wil take a fare.

Archived