Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would they consider restoring limited service to Broad Channel once they get one track completed, or will they wait until both tracks are complete? Just curious.

If you are saying send the H to howard beach, then perhaps, but there's no way you're going to run the A on one track compared to just terminating them now at Howard Beach because of the obvious delay.

http://mta.info/nyct/service/RebuildingRockawaysAfterHurricanSandy.htm

New photos posted...the track looks to be in operable condition, the pole line is back up, and reelectrification is under way.

Prendergast at the committee said he's aiming for a June Rockaways reopening but is trying to be early. South Ferry will take two years.

I think that it seeming almost completed yet. They need to test the electrical systems, signals, interlocking, and sending test trains to make sure it is okay to resume normal service.

I think there's lots of signal work still left to be done. I have a feeling that the MTA is trying to get it open before Memorial Day to handle the beach crowds (if the City reopens the beach next year)

I think there's lots of signal work still left to be done. I have a feeling that the MTA is trying to get it open before Memorial Day to handle the beach crowds (if the City reopens the beach next year)

I agree! I think the MTA goal is try to finish this before the summer season begins. That why the (H) shuttle hours are reduced so the workers can focus on the repairs.  

Then I'm assuming that the workers will be shifting to the South Ferry and focus on that.

Putting more workers to SF isn't going to make the situation fixed up any quicker... and I think some of you are getting too hyped up if you think they will restore the A by Memorial day weekend. It's possible, but don't hold your breath over it.

I dunno which is worse, the smell of seawater, sand and other stuff on the shuttle buses or not having direct connection to the beach, but I hope they finish it up ASAP.

I agree! I think the MTA goal is try to finish this before the summer season begins. That why the (H) shuttle hours are reduced so the workers can focus on the repairs.  

Then I'm assuming that the workers will be shifting to the South Ferry and focus on that.

Putting more workers to SF isn't going to make the situation fixed up any quicker... and I think some of you are getting too hyped up if you think they will restore the A by Memorial day weekend. It's possible, but don't hold your breath over it.

GC is right. Its not the lack of workers for SF thats gonna make it take so long. They have to procure replacement...everything! Putting out bids takes time. they stated that it will be most of 2013 just to get the contracts ready. Rockaway was easier to rebuild cause most of the stuff needed they have. As far as the tower at SF alone, every circuit and circuit board was damaged beyond repair and need replacement. 

As far as the Rockaway time frame, I see the 4th of July more realistic IMO.

Ever heard of the "Mythical Man Month"? Productivity is not related linearly to the amount of workers assigned to the job.

http://mta.info/nyct/service/RebuildingRockawaysAfterHurricanSandy.htm

New photos posted...the track looks to be in operable condition, the pole line is back up, and reelectrification is under way.

Prendergast at the committee said he's aiming for a June Rockaways reopening but is trying to be early. South Ferry will take two years.

Is it me, or are the tracks higher than they were before?

Now heres the part I wanted to know, when are they going to get Rockaway Park finished? From when the last time I looked over there I really didn't see any progress, maybe since most of the damage happened to the tower.

I was wondering since maybe the (H) will get extended over there in its latter days.

Is it me, or are the tracks higher than they were before?

Its hard to tell. The height of track placement was always higher than that dirt service road that runs alongside.  Maybe its the lack of fences and the fact there are pics from upclose along the RoW that makes it look higher. The pic taken from just south of the BC crossovers show it isnt higher than they were before. if the tracks along the flats were placed higher, the incline would have been visible. 

I wonder why South Ferry (1) station suffered so much damage and not the Whitehall South Ferry (R)  station?

Both stations suffered great damage, but the (1) station has a dip in the middle which makes the perfect catch basin.

The work is being done by contractors. There's no reason that different contractors can't work on two different projects at the same time.

Now heres the part I wanted to know, when are they going to get Rockaway Park finished? From when the last time I looked over there I really didn't see any progress, maybe since most of the damage happened to the tower.

I was wondering since maybe the (H) will get extended over there in its latter days.

The interlocking was destroyed. Interlockings are complex, expensive beasts, and service between the Far Rockaway and Howard Beach is clearly a much higher priority.

I wonder why South Ferry (1) station suffered so much damage and not the Whitehall South Ferry (R)  station?

The water entered Whitehall Street and flowed through to the Montague tube. The water also entered South Ferry but had nowhere to go, since it's a terminal, so it filled up to the ceiling and beyond.

LOL the (S) should become (H). Wait why don't they change the letters? The (S) is stealing the (H) trains Mojo. Besides the (H) is Rockway Pk Shuttle! Why can't they switch the letters?

Why undo what they did back in the early 90's? The whole point of renamkng the H to the S was to distinguish it as a shuttle. The H being used now it to show it as a separate teporary service during the service outage and not confuse riders with the Rockaway Park-Broad Channel shuttle. What mojo? The "railfan mojo"? The "foamo mojo"? The "mojo jojo"?

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

Archived