Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

I think they're probably reasoning "H=Hammel's Wye". So the old round robin used the wye, but when that was replaced by the shuttle that only goes to Broad Channel, it was no longer defined as an (H). Now that this new shuttle uses the wye, it can wear the letter.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The majority of the commuter are taking the Q52 to Rockaway Blvd-Cross Bay route to take the A-Lefferts Blvd to Manhattan.

The rest of Manhattan commuters continue their ride to Queens Center Mall to catch the R/N train to Manhattan.

Others rather take the QM17 hoping they can catch the first wave because the length of people on line freezing at the bus stop.

When the A train resumes back into service and hoping to be soon the Far Rock/Rockaway Beach commuters will resume back to B67 Street station manhattan bound.

There is a lot of commuters that desperately need the A-Mott Ave/Far Rock train to resume service.

The majority of the commuter are taking the Q52 to Rockaway Blvd-Cross Bay route to take the A-Lefferts Blvd to Manhattan.

The rest of Manhattan commuters continue their ride to Queens Center Mall to catch the R/N train to Manhattan.

Others rather take the QM17 hoping they can catch the first wave because the length of people on line freezing at the bus stop.

When the A train resumes back into service and hoping to be soon the Far Rock/Rockaway Beach commuters will resume back to B67 Street station manhattan bound.

There is a lot of commuters that desperately need the A-Mott Ave/Far Rock train to resume service.

Thats been pretty much riders from B67 and west. Now for B67 to mott, well, that shuttle bus to Howard Bch had been the majority choice on that end. 

It all depends which half of rockaway you are at. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was looking at one of the pics presented on the facebook page you posted. What caught my interest is construction of 40 foot storm surge sheet barrier walls across the Broad Channel. The sheet metal is pushed down 33 feet, leaving seven feet of the wall high above ground to protect infrastructure from storm surges and debris that comes along with it, in the future. Keep in mind that during last year's storm the surge was well over seven feet, try topping 14 feet in change in many areas, but I would imagine that the civil engineers felt that seven feet of steel to protect the tracks would suffice in this area.

Pic: (Credits to Kevin Ortiz - MTA)

544309_10151384597524091_1436627936_n.jp

According to this report on Second Ave Sagas, as per MTA spokesperson Kevin Ortiz, (A) train service to the Rockaways might be formally restored in June 2013.

I'm looking forward to get my first fanning on the entire (A) route with the R32s by being at the first car and taking the front window for myself.

R32 3838 did say that the summer swaps will continue until the R179s arrive.

Those new steel guards are quite interesting... wonder what the view with them will look like.

That's the thing, with the barriers being seven feet high it may obstruct the view of the Broad Channel if viewing from one of the picture windows or the door windows. That's going to positively suck, but hey it's necessary so we don't see further washouts the next turbulent hurricane season.

That's the thing, with the barriers being seven feet high it may obstruct the view of the Broad Channel if viewing from one of the picture windows or the door windows. That's going to positively suck, but hey it's necessary so we don't see further washouts the next turbulent hurricane season.

Actually, it looks like it's about 7 feet exactly from the top of the rail to the base of the windows, so views might not be obstructed too badly at all. 

See here, a good reference point is the distance between the wheels on the trucks, which is 6'10". Compare that measurement to the rail-to-window measurement and they match up nicely. http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/cars/sheet-r46.jpg

I wonder, then, if 7 feet was a deliberate choice of height to help protect tracks, but not obstruct views. 

Also, while a storm surge over 7 feet would start to flood the tracks, and damage signals and other equipment, because the metal barriers go so far down into the earth, there would be a great deal of additional protection against roadbed washout. Yes - damage to electrical infrastructure is problematic, but in the grand scheme of things, damage to the electrical systems sustained during Sandy was repaired fairly quickly, while it's the roadbed damage on the rockaway branch that's taking so long to repair.

Exactly, that's why the barriers are embedded so deep. I guess to account for the water table which makes sense.

Looking at the schematics, the height from the wheels to the carbody is 3'10" if I'm looking at this correctly. If we times that by 2 that should be the height up to the bottom frame of the windows. Yeah, it does'nt exactly block the picture windows. As to whether it was deliberate? Not sure. Good research on your part, I was about to do the same thing but i was too lazy to check. :P

i think it will be anywhere up to halfway of the glass window on all the doors and window seat. the best way to do this type of view is walk along the Manhattan Bridge and you can figure out how tall those barrier could be along the Rockaway. Keep n mind some section will fluctuate since ground may not be even the entire way. there could be section that the track is like a foot or two lower and you dont feel it. 

Archived