Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep prices increased and will continue increasing.

That bus start at 6am according to the posted schedule.

I find it very convenient to commute, but the downside is the hour which is good for those with 8-4 or 9-5 jobs.

The Q52 bus start at 5am - 5:18am and last bus for me to get to work at 7am is the 5:30 bus.

Coming home is another story.

A shuttle from Howard Beach Station to Far Rock Mott Ave is not so fast as many may think

Took me about 2 hours to get home, remember traffic at Rockaway Blvd is no joke.

I already rode that bus twice and never again. Now I drive until the A Rockaways resume service God knows when.

Well, indeed, you would definitely know if you live in the area. I guess speaking for myself, I stand corrected.

If you want to always be right fine by me lol

Anyway, its nice living out here in the Rockaways especially Broad Channel for the boating and Rockaway Beach for the beach really nice in the summer time. I go the beach during the winter times at 30 degree weather, but if its windy I stay home I reside just across the street from Rockaway Beach. But Sandy is one consequence people will not want to reside near the beach and bay area.

Water came up front of my building 12 feet of water and active waves.

Whenever it snows, we get paralyzed because subway system ceases in the Rockaways because snow on tracks and signals down.

Contractors are working day and night to have the beach operational this summer. What Sandy did not rip is the Beach 73 - Beach 85 Street.

Beyond those streets its a devastation.

Actually I kind of agree that the Q52/53 is the quickest way to get to the rockaways. (Although it gets so packed). On the A shuttle that Nassau expressway gets bunched up quick delaying busses and causing them to run short on busses on either side. Them artics on the 52 help out a lot lol

If you want to always be right fine by me lol

Lol.

But yeah, that devastating 40 house fire. That was crazy from the news reports I remember. damn the Rockaways got hit hard along with Manhattan as well as BK. The whole damn bridge on the line under the Rockways was under water! Holy shit!

There was a thread where we all stayed all connected during that very storm. Many members got rocked in BK, lost power and lost connection to the internet. Forget the members living in the Rockaways or living in Manhattan. I was fortunate to live on high ground in the Bronx but that was the worst storm I have ever seen, next to tornadoes in Penn state when I lived there. Even the tornadoes did not cause as much devastation as this monster hurricane. 

I remember Phantom909 stating we got rocked by hurricanes of this strength before in past decades with major flooding. But these category 5's did not hit NYC like this one, ever.

Lol.

But yeah, that devastating 40 house fire. That was crazy from the news reports I remember. damn the Rockaways got hit hard along with Manhattan as well as BK. The whole damn bridge on the line under the Rockways was under water! Holy shit!

There was a thread where we all stayed all connected during that very storm. Many members got rocked in BK, lost power and lost connection to the internet. Forget the members living in the Rockaways or living in Manhattan. I was fortunate to live on high ground in the Bronx but that was the worst storm I have ever seen, next to tornadoes in Penn state when I lived there. Even the tornadoes did not cause as much devastation as this monster hurricane. 

I remember Phantom909 stating we got rocked by hurricanes of this strength before in past decades with major flooding. But these category 5's did not hit NYC like this one, ever.

Yep that was the hardest hit ever.

And this was only Cat 1 Hurricane.

We had 10 feet of sand, exiting my building sand went up to my knees, hiding fire hydrant, our American Flag Pole was knocked down and our entrance murial (made of concrete and pavers) was destroyed.

You're right, we can only know if we live here.

I think it was back in 1962 a hurricane hit but not like this one with its magnitude.

Imagine if it was CAT 5 we can  only imagine.

Yeah that's right, true, true. I remember this now. Those were the factors that made that storm a vicious monster. It was a combination of a dying hurricane and a nor'easter that followed a certain path in all the wrong ways to cause such devastation  I think NYC was the hardest hit of anywhere on home soil, right? Certainty seemed so. I don't remember other areas in the NE where we had rivers with cars flowing across the area with exploding transformers left and right like in Manhattan alone.

• It actually was a Category 1 with 90 mph winds over a full moon creating high tides and the NorEaster followed after Sandy storm.

Also in Belle Harbor we lost Harbor Light caught fire along with 40 homes, and at Breezy Point went under with 110 homes caught fire because salt and electricity and transformers don't mix.

Rockaway Beach Blvd between Beach 115 and Beach 113 rental apartments and businesses and the train station went under 5 feet of salt water. Also caught fire because of transformer explosion.

The entire Rockaways devastated not even mentioning Long Beach got hit the hardest between NY and NYC

Not exactly reconstruction-related, but here's 2 weekend GO's that will make Rockaways travel difficult:

A.png Trains run every 30 minutes between Rockaway Blvd and Howard Beach 

Weekend, 6 AM Sat to 6 AM Sun, May 11 - 12 

Service operates in two sections: 
1. Between 207 St and Lefferts Blvd 
2. Between Rockaway Blvd and Howard Beach 

• Transfer at Rockaway Blvd to continue your trip. 

Alternate travel note: 
For JFK Airport, transfer to the J.png at Broadway Junction for service to Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av 
where Airtrain service is available. 

ADA_WhlChr_small.gif   This service change affects one or more ADA accessible stations. Please call 511 for help with planning
your trip. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay.  

A.png No trains between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd/Howard Beach 
shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses provide alternate service 
Weekend, 6 AM to 8 PM, Sunday, May 12 

A.png service operates between 207 St and Euclid Av

shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses operate along two routes: 
1. Between Euclid Av and Howard Beach via Lefferts Blvd, making stops at 
   Grant Av, 80, 88 Sts, Rockaway Blvd, 104
 and 111 StsAqueduct Racetrack 
   and Aqueduct-North Conduit Av
2. Between Euclid Av and Howard Beachnonstop

• Transfer between buses and trains at Euclid Av. 
• Transfer at between shuttle_bus.png buses at Howard Beach

That hyperlocal bus is going to be a serpentine.

Well the stored ex Bee Line V's and the D60HF's that are going to MTA bus will help out.

Well the problem is SC JFK and FR depots are prohibited from running the shuttle because their union got an injunction against the TA. Right now it's just College Point running the shuttle with their O5 CNGs. If they wanted to I suppose LGA or Baisley Park could do some runs, we won't be seeing BC D60s on the shuttle since they're at JFK but they could send some Bees in storage to LGA, BP or even a TA depot for shuttle service.

We could also see buses from storage (including D60s) go to JFK/FR/LGA for extra Q22/35/52/53 service, which is also gonna be needed come summertime.

So the train should end up running on the Northbound track in both directions between Howard Beach and North of Aqueduct, with southbound trains using the switch south of the Rockaway Boulevard interlocking to switch to the northbound track.

If they don't re-open the Rockaway Flats when summer comes, they're definetly going to restore more service on the (A) shuttle. If those tanks on the Orion V CNGs and old C40's dont expire until after the summer, i'd suggest they keep the remaining ones around and reserve them for the shuttle instead of retiring them like they are doing now. Otherwise, those D60's in storage will make some good use. The only problem with those D60's, just like Orion explained, is where are they going to put them? If only there was another lot (such as an extra lot in the rockaways) where they could hold them for the shuttle, they don't have to be assigned to any depot, just for use on the shuttle. And when (A) service gets restored, retire them. Then again, the line may be open by summer (remember, he said might). When I last looked at the line, it seemed they are mostly done. Then again, I didn't get a look at if the signals were working and any power cables were put down. They are definetly mostly done with the Tracks though, with the addition of that 7-foot tall metal barrier going along the whole rockaway stretch now...

Archived