Rockaway Line Reconstruction Thread

Amtrak7

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd really like to hear from a resident or worker from the Rockaway peninsula on how the reconstruction of the beach area is coming along. I'm constantly reading about the subway reconstruction and the shuttle buses and I'm glad posters are keeping us informed. The way I look at the whole picture is that if the beach area isn't ready for the summer influx then the (MTA) isn't going to provide the same sort of service it did in the past summer seasons. In other words, what's the rush ? Restore some service for the residents and commuters while leaving the extra summer service in limbo. If they don't anticipate extra crowding because the beach area isn't totally repaired do you really think the (MTA) is going to rush to provide "extra" service like longer trains ? Carry on.

I'd really like to hear from a resident or worker from the Rockaway peninsula on how the reconstruction of the beach area is coming along. I'm constantly reading about the subway reconstruction and the shuttle buses and I'm glad posters are keeping us informed. The way I look at the whole picture is that if the beach area isn't ready for the summer influx then the (MTA) isn't going to provide the same sort of service it did in the past summer seasons. In other words, what's the rush ? Restore some service for the residents and commuters while leaving the extra summer service in limbo. If they don't anticipate extra crowding because the beach area isn't totally repaired do you really think the (MTA) is going to rush to provide "extra" service like longer trains ? Carry on.

Hi I am a resident of Rockaway Beach and I see the progression on the trains. There is only one shuttle bus running from Howard Beach to Far Rock Mott Av there you can take the H Train up to B90 Street and back. The tracks should be completed up to Rockaway Park B116 Street.

The boardwalks are not fully completed for Memorial Day no way it will happen.

The only boardwalks being worked on right now are the concessions. Let me B86 St, B93 St, B108 St are concessions and bathroom and lifeguard station. Boardwalk is made out of concrete and each is still in progress.

Contractors are working day and night as I've seen them out there and pumping concrete to the forms in days.

So I really don't see the rush for the MTA to supply transportation. But if the beach will opened according to Bloomberg by May 25th then havoc will exist for the amount of shuttle buses to transport commuters from the Bronx and the City to the Rockaways.

Like to share this link Rockaways Concession

http://www.therockawaysiren.com/dining/concessions-on-boardwalk/

Hi I am a resident of Rockaway Beach and I see the progression on the trains. There is only one shuttle bus running from Howard Beach to Far Rock Mott Av there you can take the H Train up to B90 Street and back. The tracks should be completed up to Rockaway Park B116 Street.

The boardwalks are not fully completed for Memorial Day no way it will happen.

The only boardwalks being worked on right now are the concessions. Let me B86 St, B93 St, B108 St are concessions and bathroom and lifeguard station. Boardwalk is made out of concrete and each is still in progress.

Contractors are working day and night as I've seen them out there and pumping concrete to the forms in days.

So I really don't see the rush for the MTA to supply transportation. But if the beach will opened according to Bloomberg by May 25th then havoc will exist for the amount of shuttle buses to transport commuters from the Bronx and the City to the Rockaways.

Like to share this link Rockaways Concession

http://www.therockawaysiren.com/dining/concessions-on-boardwalk/

Thank you for the update. You filled in the blanks for me . I certainly hope the (MTA) finishes the track and electrical repairs ASAP for the commuter's sake. What I was questioning were the posts speculating on what buses, subway equipment, and the like that would be needed for summer service for the Rockaways yet, until your update, no one considered the actual destination's condition. I sincerely hope the residents get their "regular" service back soon. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the (MTA) thinks there will be enough ridership to bring back the summer supplemental service.

Ill tell you one thing, i spend the last 2 days at my mom's visiting NYC and on the other end (B36-B40th) the boardwalk is still gone. 

on a trip on the Q52 (caught 5500 while heading to Penn Station for my trip back upstate BTW!) You can see the new barrier wall along the RoW. 

Ill tell you one thing, i spend the last 2 days at my mom's visiting NYC and on the other end (B36-B40th) the boardwalk is still gone. 

on a trip on the Q52 (caught 5500 while heading to Penn Station for my trip back upstate BTW!) You can see the new barrier wall along the RoW. 

Yep I agree between B36-B40 St is still gone and they are not working on that area yet.

They are concentrating more on the boardwalk for B68 St - B106 Street and only on the concession bar.

The barrier you see is pretty long and yet have little to finish now I don't know how far back they are going with it I know they commenced by the bridge back to inland I still see the pile drivers out there. Beside that the railing and signal wiring still need repair.

Remember the MTA said that they would do test trains on the weekend of the 17th obviously they have to shut down the (H) shuttle for the weekend to focus on the test trains. I think that the Rockaways is now inching closer to service we have to wait and see.

it seem that is ready for June 2013

B116 the boardwalk is complete was there this afternoon.

Hopefully the ferry to Manhattan at B108 St will stay open for the summer commute

including the shuttles

The @MTAInsider Twitter account has just posted that Rockaways subway service will resume on May 30th. The exact message was...

"Great news for the Rockaways -- full A train service will resume May 30!"

This is good news! I think for this memorial day weekend the MTA is going to be using tons of buses.

I'm sure that transit freaks going be riding the (H) for the last time before the (S) resumes again.

Just in time for summer. Impressive work!

Great news!

I wonder what will happen with the GO this weekend, the (H) shutdown. If it still goes through it might be so they can run test trains, finish whatever work is left, and not to be crazy but possibly make it full length for its last weekend. Next weekend is gonna be awful for the (H).

Archived