Suffolk Bus on Christmas EVE

sonnyinmiami

I'm planning on going to Calverton National Cemetery on Monday, December 24th Christmas Eve... I'll be arriving into either Port Jefferson LIRR Station then, take Suffolk Bus 61 & transfer to Bus 58... round trip back to Penn Station................ -or- arrive at Riverhead LIRR Station then, take Suffolk Bus 58 to the Cemetery... round trip also back to Penn Station... Does anyone have personal expreience with Suffolk Bus on the Eve of a Major Holiday ?? If I can expect the bus schedules to be accurate as stated on the website ? Or should I call Suffolk Bus directly ? Thanks in advance for any advice and/or recommendations...

Well you cant go to Riverhead since that is summer only service. However one can go to PJ and take the S60 or S61 to Coram Plaza, and transfer to the S58. For Example lets say you leave around 9:00 AM on that day, then you should take a train to Huntington, and Transfer at Port Jefferson to a train to Port Jefferson. You have a chance of taking a S60 bus at :40 (after 2:30 it's at :10) or the the 61 at :05, giving you about less than 10 minutes to transfer, but try to make a 61 bus if you can or wont be delayed. At Coram Plaza, you would have to wait for the S58 passing at Coram Plaza at :20 ( if you take the S61, pray that the S58 either didnt come or is right behind the S61 bus,since they are bpth suppose to get there at Coram Plaza at :20. Now if you take the 60, you would have to wait 45 minutes for the S58. Ask the Operator that you want to get off at Princeton Boulevard and Middle Country Road/ Calverton Cementary. You would probably get back to the city by 7 PM the latest including traffic and delays

I'm planning on going to Calverton National Cemetery on Monday, December 24th Christmas Eve... I'll be arriving into either Port Jefferson LIRR Station then, take Suffolk Bus 61 & transfer to Bus 58... round trip back to Penn Station................ -or- arrive at Riverhead LIRR Station then, take Suffolk Bus 58 to the Cemetery... round trip also back to Penn Station... Does anyone have personal expreience with Suffolk Bus on the Eve of a Major Holiday ?? If I can expect the bus schedules to be accurate as stated on the website ? Or should I call Suffolk Bus directly ? Thanks in advance for any advice and/or recommendations...

err use LIRR to riverhead for S58 which is timed with the limited LIRR service there

Well, I saw the notices on the buses yesterday.... There's gonna be regular weekday service on christmas eve....

Well you cant go to Riverhead since that is summer only service.

Lol..... False.

LIRR does not only provide service to Riverhead during summers only...... Who told you that lie?

However one can go to PJ and take the S60 or S61 to Coram Plaza, and transfer to the S58. For Example lets say you leave around 9:00 AM on that day, then you should take a train to Huntington, and Transfer at Port Jefferson to a train to Port Jefferson.

You mean transfer at Huntington for a Port Jeff. train....

You have a chance of taking a S60 bus at :40 (after 2:30 it's at :10) or the the 61 at :05, giving you about less than 10 minutes to transfer, but try to make a 61 bus if you can or wont be delayed. At Coram Plaza, you would have to wait for the S58 passing at Coram Plaza at :20 ( if you take the S61, pray that the S58 either didnt come or is right behind the S61 bus,since they are bpth suppose to get there at Coram Plaza at :20. Now if you take the 60, you would have to wait 45 minutes for the S58. Ask the Operator that you want to get off at Princeton Boulevard and Middle Country Road/ Calverton Cementary. You would probably get back to the city by 7 PM the latest including traffic and delays

IMO, he'd be better off taking a Riverhead bound S62 out of LIRR pt. jeff & transferring back to a WB S58 for a mile or two or so... That's what I did when I went out there one time (I also have family buried out there in Calverton)..... Having the guy ride from coram to calverton during the holidays along 25 is suicide....

Coming back home though, I'd avoid 25 & 25a altogether.... probably just take the 58 back to riverhead courts for the 66 to patchogue & ride the LIRR from there, since there's (very) limited service out of Riverhead....

Archived