Ticket types and fares

Aussieinuk

Apart from the Metrocard are there other tickets you can purchase? Do you use smart card technology similar to Londons Oyster Card, or Hong Kongs Octopus Card, which are stored value cards that you can top up.

From yesterday on London Buses you can now use your contactless ATM card to pay your fare. All you do is scan it past the card reader and it deducts the fare. If it is successful ,by next year you will be able to use your ATM card on all modes of transport throughout London. Soon you will be unable to pay cash to travel.

Apart from the Metrocard are there other tickets you can purchase? Do you use smart card technology similar to Londons Oyster Card, or Hong Kongs Octopus Card, which are stored value cards that you can top up.

From yesterday on London Buses you can now use your contactless ATM card to pay your fare. All you do is scan it past the card reader and it deducts the fare. If it is successful ,by next year you will be able to use your ATM card on all modes of transport throughout London. Soon you will be unable to pay cash to travel.

Yeah we're sort of behind here because we have such a "large, old system". Just thought I would make that clear since that's always the excuse given when justifying why we're stuck in the 18th century around here. <_< We just have the dinosaur MetroCards where you have to schlepp to a MVM in order to refill them or buy one. The paying with your credit card was tested and we're supposed to be having smartcards in the future, but who knows when... I too would like to be able to just refill my card online and be done with it.... Hell I can order just about anything online... Food, clothing, electronics, but I can refill my unlimited Express Bus Metrocard online... Gotta love the (MTA) ... <_<

Oh my apologies... I forgot about the Metrocards that automatically refill themselves... Problem with those are they are only for Pay-Per-Ride and #2 I don't want someone else refilling my card. I want to be able to do it myself as I need it.

If you mean the tap feature, then yes, there was a pilot program at some stations along the Lex. Of course riders transferring between the subway and bus had to pay twice as the subway turnstiles don't issue transfers.

Oh my apologies... I forgot about the Metrocards that automatically refill themselves... Problem with those are they are only for Pay-Per-Ride and #2 I don't want someone else refilling my card. I want to be able to do it myself as I need it.

Actually the EZPayExpress Metrocard, which automatically refills itself, does have a 30-Day Unlimited Ride option now. So there is that, but it sure would be nice if you could refill a regular card online.

Actually the EZPayExpress Metrocard, which automatically refills itself, does have a 30-Day Unlimited Ride option now. So there is that, but it sure would be nice if you could refill a regular card online.

That does not work for me at all since I use the 7 Day Unlimited Express Bus Plus card most of the time, and as I said before, I want to control when I refill my card. I don't do any of that automatic stuff because it doesn't suite my needs. For example with the holidays coming up many folks may not need their cards automatically refilled.

That does not work for me at all since I use the 7 Day Unlimited Express Bus Plus card most of the time, and as I said before, I want to control when I refill my card. I don't do any of that automatic stuff because it doesn't suite my needs. For example with the holidays coming up many folks may not need their cards automatically refilled.

The refill is based on how much is left on the MetroCard, not a time-based refill. So if you're not going to use it over the holidays, it just won't refill for that period.

The refill is based on how much is left on the MetroCard, not a time-based refill. So if you're not going to use it over the holidays, it just won't refill for that period.

I already know that. I'm not even sure why you're even telling me this for. I only mentioned that because he talked about them now having a 30 day unlimited card, which even if they do have still is no good for me.

I already know that. I'm not even sure why you're even telling me this for. I only mentioned that because he talked about them now having a 30 day unlimited card, which even if they do have still is no good for me.

It may not be, I know the auto-refill is a no good option for me, but I was just letting the OP know what type of metrocards there are available...

Archived