Why are the Metro-North & LIRR stations so much cleaner than the subways?

Via Garibaldi 8

that guy must heat the coffee/cocoa/tea with a nuclear reactor or something lol

I didn't even remember the coffee I had because the sandwich was so hot that it made the coffee seem normal. lol

---

Getting back to the main reason I created the thread, I think personally that if shutting down MNRR and LIRR for a few hours makes this much of a difference in the cleanliness of the stations then Fast Track should be something of the norm where stations or at least portions of stations are shut down for a few hours to allow for cleaning. Folks can transfer to other lines to get around.

I didn't even remember the coffee I had because the sandwich was so hot that it made the coffee seem normal. lol

---

Getting back to the main reason I created the thread, I think personally that if shutting down MNRR and LIRR for a few hours makes this much of a difference in the cleanliness of the stations then Fast Track should be something of the norm where stations or at least portions of stations are shut down for a few hours to allow for cleaning. Folks can transfer to other lines to get around.

VG8 keep in mind a couple of LIRR lines i.e Ronkonkoma/Hungington (main line) and Babylon do run "limited" overnight service about every 2 hours (every 60-90 minutes between Penn Station and Jamaica)between 2-5am unlike MNRR.

VG8 keep in mind a couple of LIRR lines i.e Ronkonkoma/Hungington (main line) and Babylon do run "limited" overnight service about every 2 hours (every 60-90 minutes between Penn Station and Jamaica)between 2-5am unlike MNRR.

Sure but clearly the procedures in place on the LIRR and MNRR make a huge difference in cleanliness and it's my belief that the (MTA) should adapt some of these procedures with the subway. With the enhancement of the (MTA) website and technology overall in the system, it should allow the (MTA) to take a more proactive approach in keeping our subway more like a subway and less like a sewer.

The only Metro North station that gets "shut down" is GCT and bring out the heavy equipment for cleaning (looks like a zamboni). All the other Metro North stations are cleaned during the day (or evening). Regular cleaning is done by custodians that go station to station to sweep up and mop up elevators. Pressure washing is done by the e-cleaners that cycle through the stations with a trailer mounted pressure washer.

White Plains is an exception where there are (or used to be) custodians there 24 hours and e cleaning got done during the night after the last trains go through.

• 2 weeks later...

Metro North and Long Island Railroad are not used as much as the subway. Since there are fewer users, it's easier to clean. The Moscow metro is always sparkling clean along with many other transit systems because it shuts down at night. Crews can easily clean it with nobody to interfere with them. The subway in New York never shuts down with the exception of some portions of lines during service changes. Harder to maintain.

@VG8:

One station that comes to mind: Auburndale. All the rust on the shelter doesn't make it look very attractive.

Also, Lawrence could use some love. So does Island Park.

And don't get me started on Stony Brook. Never been there before?

Metro North and Long Island Railroad are not used as much as the subway. Since there are fewer users, it's easier to clean. The Moscow metro is always sparkling clean along with many other transit systems because it shuts down at night. Crews can easily clean it with nobody to interfere with them. The subway in New York never shuts down with the exception of some portions of lines during service changes. Harder to maintain.

Because something shuts down doesn't mean that the cleaners do their job. Come to Amsterdam bro and then see how dirty that is even though it shuts down at night. In Rotterdam it's sparkling clean though.

Also, most of Metro-North has cement floors, while the subways is mainly tile.

Oh, and also Metro-North has their own division for police, so they can actually call them if they see homeless people.

@VG8:

One station that comes to mind: Auburndale. All the rust on the shelter doesn't make it look very attractive.

Also, Lawrence could use some love. So does Island Park.

And don't get me started on Stony Brook. Never been there before?

Yeah that was a general statement... I can't think of one station in the subway system that's clean unless it was re-done recently... I still believe that they could shut down stations like they do with Fast Track and clean them... Or better yet while they're doing Fast Track, use that opportunity to have cleaners come in and fully clean the stations.

Yeah that was a general statement... I can't think of one station in the subway system that's clean unless it was re-done recently... I still believe that they could shut down stations like they do with Fast Track and clean them... Or better yet while they're doing Fast Track, use that opportunity to have cleaners come in and fully clean the stations.

I think doing FASTRACK just for cleaning is a bit much.

I think doing FASTRACK just for cleaning is a bit much.

I don't think so at all, especially when you have rats running into trains and running on passengers. Like I said either do it that way OR while they're doing FAST TRACK, do it then. Kill two birds with one stone, but the status quo simply can't continue IMO. You're going to have more and more people using the subway as the population grows in NYC and more and more garbage will be in the system, which will mean more and more rats, so in theory the stations should be cleaned more to keep up with that or you'll see more rats interacting with humans in the subways and more chances for people to be attacked by rats and sooner or later I could see someone trying to sue the (MTA) for this very problem if they're attacked citing neglect. Sounds silly but it's very possible.

I don't think so at all, especially when you have rats running into trains and running on passengers. Like I said either do it that way OR while they're doing FAST TRACK, do it then. Kill two birds with one stone, but the status quo simply can't continue IMO. You're going to have more and more people using the subway as the population grows in NYC and more and more garbage will be in the system, which will mean more and more rats, so in theory the stations should be cleaned more to keep up with that or you'll see more rats interacting with humans in the subways and more chances for people to be attacked by rats and sooner or later I could see someone trying to sue the (MTA) for this very problem if they're attacked citing neglect. Sounds silly but it's very possible.

Rats Mice will always be a problem regardless. The subway is warm, and it cold outside. And besides that, it's not worth inconveniencing what could be over 20,000 people, just to get a little bit of dirt out between the tiles. And this is coming from someone who grew up at 168th on the (1). Although, i'm not gonna lie, something needs to be done about the ends of those platforms. And i'm sure a lawsuit is alot more likely if someone gets crushed to death in a crowded (6) than a mouse in the train car.

Rats Mice will always be a problem regardless. The subway is warm, and it cold outside. And besides that, it's not worth inconveniencing what could be over 20,000 people, just to get a little bit of dirt out between the tiles. And this is coming from someone who grew up at 168th on the (1). Although, i'm not gonna lie, something needs to be done about the ends of those platforms. And i'm sure a lawsuit is alot more likely if someone gets crushed to death in a crowded (6) than a mouse in the train car.

LOL... You mean a RAT, not a mouse... Of course they will always be a problem, but you have to control the population otherwise the system becomes overtaken and they do congregate more around dirty places where there are sources for food (i.e. garbage). There was a huge rat problem in several city parks here because the rat population was allowed to grow without being controlled. What did the city do? They attacked the problem because you had kids playing in those parks that could've been attacked by the rats and parents demanded that something be done and this was OUTSIDE in the elements. Getting bitten by a rat is serious and the decision by the (MTA) to put fewer garbage cans in the subway stations in addition to their lack of cleaning of the subway stations is certainly creating an environment that is conducive to aiding the growth of the rat population in the system even more.

I still believe that they should be blitzing stations and cleaning them while doing FAST TRACK. Folks seem to be doing fine with using alternatives in the system while FAST TRACK is in place so might as well use the opportunity to keep the stations up and cleaner.

LOL... You mean a RAT, not a mouse... Of course they will always be a problem, but you have to control the population otherwise the system becomes overtaken and they do congregate more around dirty places where there are sources for food (i.e. garbage). There was a huge rat problem in several city parks here because the rat population was allowed to grow without being controlled. What did the city do? They attacked the problem because you had kids playing in those parks that could've been attacked by the rats and parents demanded that something be done and this was OUTSIDE in the elements. Getting bitten by a rat is serious and the decision by the (MTA) to put fewer garbage cans in the subway stations in addition to their lack of cleaning of the subway stations is certainly creating an environment that is conducive to aiding the growth of the rat population in the system even more.

I still believe that they should be blitzing stations and cleaning them while doing FAST TRACK. Folks seem to be doing fine with using alternatives in the system while FAST TRACK is in place so might as well use the opportunity to keep the stations up and cleaner.

I do agree, that if possible, they should clean the station during FASTRACK, but you have to remember that people are doing work on the platform, and the track, so it might interrupt them. Also, I can assure you at least some are mice. Also, if it were to become that big of a problem, do you know what they would do? Put rat poison all over the place. I'm sure you've seen those signs all over the northern end of the IND.

I do agree, that if possible, they should clean the station during FASTRACK, but you have to remember that people are doing work on the platform, and the track, so it might interrupt them. Also, I can assure you at least some are mice. Also, if it were to become that big of a problem, do you know what they would do? Put rat poison all over the place. I'm sure you've seen those signs all over the northern end of the IND.

Oh believe me, they already have the rat poison and have stated that they're "tackling the problem", but I don't think they're doing enough. I think as times goes on they will be forced to change how they're running the subway and they will have to shut down the system even if it's in segments or like they're doing now with FAST TRACK.

Oh believe me, they already have the rat poison and have stated that they're "tackling the problem", but I don't think they're doing enough. I think as times goes on they will be forced to change how they're running the subway and they will have to shut down the system even if it's in segments or like they're doing now with FAST TRACK.

Yeah, no, I doubt that entirely.

The system deteriorating enough that it shuts down. That's only happened to one station ever.

lol... Have you seen the Sea Beach stations??? Hell I'm shocked no one has been killed or seriously injured because those stations are literally dangerous and extremely fragile. Passengers that use those stations have been protesting to their political leaders that those stations need to be shut down and rehabbed immediately... Rotting stairways, falling debris from ceilings, etc. etc.

lol... Have you seen the Sea Beach stations??? Hell I'm shocked no one has been killed or seriously injured because those stations are literally dangerous and extremely fragile. Passengers that use those stations have been protesting to their political leaders that those stations need to be shut down and rehabbed immediately... Rotting stairways, falling debris from ceilings, etc. etc.

But they aren't shut down, now are they?

They aren't but they should be because they are in dire need for repair... Quite frankly they are EXTREMELY lucky that no one has been hurt or killed to be honest...

But they aren't nonetheless. My point still stands. Besides, Sea Beach needs more than a powerwash.

Archived