Why are the Metro-North & LIRR stations so much cleaner than the subways?

Via Garibaldi 8

Those stations will indeed be shut down in 2014 for complete rehab... Had they been up keeping the stations better the massive overhauls needed may not be so dire.

That's a red herring. We're talking about cleanliness not station condition.

The two go hand and hand... It's all station up keep... If they're not cleaning the station then they're probably not doing anything else to maintain the station either.

Not nessecarily. They both involve appearance, but besides that are unrelated.

@VG8: That doesn't say much. One can keep a station clean without maintaining the structure and vice versa.

Not nessecarily. They both involve appearance, but besides that are unrelated.

In theory yes, but we're talking about the (MTA) here... With them it's usually all or nothing.

• 2 months later...

I think the "broken glass" theory applies here. As a teenager, my friends would see if we could make sparks by throwing an almost finished snapple bottle at the 3rd rail at the Cortelyou road station. It was a competition to see who had the best aim.

The tracks were filled with all sorts of litter, so our bottle was just adding a needle to a haystack. The platforms,, they had grime dripping down the walls and muck where the wall met the floor. The parts of platform that were covered clearly had a urine odor, ( in 2002, perhaps contributed by a 16 year old me).

I think the "broken glass" theory applies here. As a teenager, my friends would see if we could make sparks by throwing an almost finished snapple bottle at the 3rd rail at the Cortelyou road station. It was a competition to see who had the best aim.

The tracks were filled with all sorts of litter, so our bottle was just adding a needle to a haystack. The platforms,, they had grime dripping down the walls and muck where the wall met the floor. The parts of platform that were covered clearly had a urine odor, ( in 2002, perhaps contributed by a 16 year old me).

stop with this  :deadhorse:  :deadhorse: .

The thread has been beaten enough time for the  :Lock:  :Lock:  :Lock:  :Lock: .

Archived