R62A's on the 5 line?

borednyorker157

Those were basically borrowed from the (6).

Of course, before OPTO, they almost never ran there, as the (2)(5) were strictly redbirds, and the 62/62A were strictly (1)(3)(4)(6). I used to wonder why they didn't spread the new cars out more. In '87, when the 2000's started arriving, and the (1) was full, I thought they were going to make it an "full time expresses gets the new stuff" thing, and begin putting them on the (2) (Especially after I saw the new arrivals in 180th St. signed up as (2)), but then put them on the (3) instead. (And it was not so that the (2) and (5) could have the same cars to swap, because they did not seem to do that back then. The (2) was strictly the MK 26-29's, and the (5) was strictly 33's, not even painted and overhauled yet at first).

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. They look just like the R62A's on any other line, just with different rollsigns.

Maybe it's just me but I operated an R62A (5) train, Monday-Friday, for a whole pick and it never seemed "special" to me , my C/R, or any of my regular passengers. No big deal.

It couldn't have been borrowed from the (4) as the for used R62's and not R62A's

*Correct me if I am wrong

Correct. This was before the (3)(4) swap, which was when the NTT's were coming in. So the (3) had the 62A's, and the (4) had 62's, and a few redbirds.

It would be so cool to see an R62 or R62A on the (2) train!

They did have some 62A's on there during the post-911 service changes, as the (3) was cut back to 14th, and even with the (1) extended to New Lots, there were still some leftover cars.

I remember seeing R62as from the 1 red stripe and the 6 yellow stripe when I rode the 5. This was around 1999-2001. Without question, the 5 didn't use the 4's R62s.

There were a handful of times (two I personally remember) when R62s would show up on the (5) during weekend GOs where the line ended at 149th-Grand Concourse.

Archived