Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
borednyorker157

R62A's on the 5 line?

Back then, why did they operate very few R62a's on the 5 line? I remember well seeing a few when I was little around 2000-2001 on the Dyre avenue line, how come they still don't operate them today along the line?

Because the MTA had decide to upgrade the with R142/As when it was time to replace the Redbirds.

Edited by jgood6195

The 5 ran OPTO shuttles at night, which required R62As. During the day, these two 5 car trains would be combined into one and would (not always) run on the 5.

• Upvote 7

Those were basically borrowed from the (6).

Of course, before OPTO, they almost never ran there, as the (2)(5) were strictly redbirds, and the 62/62A were strictly (1)(3)(4)(6). I used to wonder why they didn't spread the new cars out more. In '87, when the 2000's started arriving, and the (1) was full, I thought they were going to make it an "full time expresses gets the new stuff" thing, and begin putting them on the (2) (Especially after I saw the new arrivals in 180th St. signed up as (2)), but then put them on the (3) instead. (And it was not so that the (2) and (5) could have the same cars to swap, because they did not seem to do that back then. The (2) was strictly the MK 26-29's, and the (5) was strictly 33's, not even painted and overhauled yet at first).

• Upvote 12

Those were basically borrowed from the (6).

No kidding. I assumed all this time they were borrowed from the (4). Never knew that.

It would be so cool to see (any type of equipment) run on the (any line that equipment doesn't normally run on)!!!

• Upvote 2

It would be so cool to see (any type of equipment) run on the (any line that equipment doesn't normally run on)!!!

M8s on the IND Rockaway branch!! Woohooo!!!

Just kidding.

• Upvote 2

The 5 ran OPTO shuttles at night, which required R62As. During the day, these two 5 car trains would be combined into one and would (not always) run on the 5.

Oh! lol i don't remember ever seeing them run at late nights. I can't even find pics of them running late nights at the time.

When I lived in Park Slope when I was really young, I once saw an R62/A 5 Train at Franklin Avenue. Only saw one R62/A 5 in my life :/

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. They look just like the R62A's on any other line, just with different rollsigns.

• Upvote 9

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. They look just like the R62A's on any other line, just with different rollsigns.

Maybe it's just me but I operated an R62A (5) train, Monday-Friday, for a whole pick and it never seemed "special" to me , my C/R, or any of my regular passengers. No big deal.

• Upvote 4

I rode an R62 (no, not an R62A) on the (6) once, and have never seen one since. Apparently it was on loan from the (4) line, but how would I know why since I was about 8 :D.

And that one time I rode an R26 up to Woodlawn on a rerouted (5). Those were the days....

I've ridden 62s on the (4)(5) and (6) , and the Redbirds on the (2) and (5) .

Does anyone else remember the vanilla smell on the R62s? I don't smell it anymore.

My brother and I used to fan the 62s on the (4)(5)(6) when we were really young and always sneak outta the house. Those were the days....

Edited by NovaCSW8030

R62/A's are comming back to the (4)(5)(6) lines,

For the last time, ita only the (6)

just got to wait for the R188's to go to the (1)(3) and (7)

Only to the (7)...dunno where you hearing the rest of that nonsense from

• Upvote 1

R62/A's are comming back to the (4)(5)(6) lines, just got to wait for the R188's to go to the (1)(3) and (7)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by NovaCSW8030
  • Upvote 3

No kidding. I assumed all this time they were borrowed from the (4). Never knew that.

It couldn't have been borrowed from the (4) as the for used R62's and not R62A's

*Correct me if I am wrong

It couldn't have been borrowed from the (4) as the for used R62's and not R62A's

*Correct me if I am wrong

Correct. This was before the (3)(4) swap, which was when the NTT's were coming in. So the (3) had the 62A's, and the (4) had 62's, and a few redbirds.

It would be so cool to see an R62 or R62A on the (2) train!

They did have some 62A's on there during the post-911 service changes, as the (3) was cut back to 14th, and even with the (1) extended to New Lots, there were still some leftover cars.

I remember seeing R62as from the 1 red stripe and the 6 yellow stripe when I rode the 5. This was around 1999-2001. Without question, the 5 didn't use the 4's R62s.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I remember seeing R62as from the 1 red stripe and the 6 yellow stripe when I rode the 5. This was around 1999-2001. Without question, the 5 didn't use the 4's R62s.

There were a handful of times (two I personally remember) when R62s would show up on the (5) during weekend GOs where the line ended at 149th-Grand Concourse.