Getting Information to Passengers: Is Coordination Really That Difficult?

CenSin

So it was about a week after Hurricane Sandy, when the (N) trains were running to 59 Street and no further and the (D) trains were terminating at Bay Parkway. I'm on an (N) and the 4 Avenue express trains have apparently slowed to a crawl. (R) trains running between Bay Ridge and Jay Street are practically running circles around us, yet there was no hint of delays or advice to transfer at Pacific Street to the (R) for Bay Ridge-bound passengers. At 36 Street, an incensed passenger gets off the train to scream at the conductor… and the conductor after that one… and probably the next one too.

Here's the audio recording:

Does this man have a point?

LMAO!! I agree with the guy... It's never anyone's fault... Yeah maybe he shouldn't have yelled like that but he has a right to be frustrated... While I commend the (MTA) for trying to post detours and delays they are still doing a pretty poor job with it and I'm not talking about detours or changes in service that just pop up. They can't even keep up with events happening in advance. They apparently don't have enough staff to work on this nor anyone to check behind what is posted because sometimes the information is not only wrong but also outdated. Then they sometimes post conflicting information. Online for example it will say buses are being detoured to one place and then you go the bus stop and they something totally different posted. Part of this could be alleviated by making more of an effort to go high tech.

Lately it seems like everybody wants their hands held. To me this was whining because the train isn't going where he need to go. Kudos to the conductor becuase if that was me either I would have shut the window in his face or cussed him out. #teamnopatience

LMAO!! I agree with the guy... It's never anyone's fault... Yeah maybe he shouldn't have yelled like that but he has a right to be frustrated... While I commend the (MTA) for trying to post detours and delays they are still doing a pretty poor job with it and I'm not talking about detours or changes in service that just pop up. They can't even keep up with events happening in advance. They apparently don't have enough staff to work on this nor anyone to check behind what is posted because sometimes the information is not only wrong but also outdated. Then they sometimes post conflicting information. Online for example it will say buses are being detoured to one place and then you go the bus stop and they something totally different posted. Part of this could be alleviated by making more of an effort to go high tech.

Actually, that's not the problem. The problem is people don't listen. I once spent two hours at TS explaining FASTRACK to people, even tough this was the third~ time that FASTRACK was on the 7th Avenue Line. Oh and on my way back from that I had to tell alot of people the (N) was the only train running on the Broadway Line at 14th St, even tough there was a poster saying that on LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE COLUMN.

Lately it seems like everybody wants their hands held. To me this was whining because the train isn't going where he need to go. Kudos to the conductor becuase if that was me either I would have shut the window in his face or cussed him out. #teamnopatience

Actually, the conductors DID slam the window in his face.

LMAO @ the little kid at 4:17 mimicing the irate passenger....

"what da f#&k ?"

He has a point, but I saw this as more, the guy wanting to make a spectacle of himself....

Yeah. I was going to point that out, but that was off topic. The kids seemed to be delighted to see such a spectacle.

I agree with VG8 about the buses, especially express buses. Anytime there is a scheduled detour, everybody gives conflicting info and you are stuck waiting around, hoping the bus will show up. There is never a dispatcher around when you need one.

Actually, I've seen NYCT dispatchers sit and watch people stand around on 6th ave when Bus Co. EXP buses are running up Madison for whatever reason, because the 2 orgs don't share information with eachother. So frustrating sometimes.

I agree with VG8 about the buses, especially express buses. Anytime there is a scheduled detour, everybody gives conflicting info and you are stuck waiting around, hoping the bus will show up. There is never a dispatcher around when you need one.

Actually, I've seen NYCT dispatchers sit and watch people stand around on 6th ave when Bus Co. EXP buses are running up Madison for whatever reason, because the 2 orgs don't share information with eachother. So frustrating sometimes.

Yeah that's exactly what I was getting at. I've complained about that to them (the (MTA) ) numerous times and they claim that they're going to try to do better. I mean really... It's not that difficult for planned events. For unplanned events I can understand, but for planned events, you've got the information beforehand. Post the damn information online and have someone check it. Often times the detour information is riddled with errors that make no sense. My favorite one is when they say that detours are occurring say from 6th Ave and that the express buses will be running down Madison Av making "corresponding" stops... Hmm... Now where in the hell should one stand for that corresponding stop at Madison Ave?? The passengers don't know and neither do the bus drivers so you're stuck trying to stand in the street to hail down your bus. I generally try to avoid the detours altogether and just take the bus where it resumes the normal route, but I've been burned by them because of inaccurate information. They'll post on the website that such and such event will end at such and such time and you expect the event to be over now that several hours have passed yet you walk to the stop only to find that the detour is still in effect. <_< Then you check the website and there is nothing on there talking about the detour still being in effect. Luckily for me the last time dispatch was at the stop. What was ridiculous was he didn't even know for sure where the buses were being detoured. He had to radio in to the B/O to see which way he was going... I mean talk about ridiculous. <_<

Actually, that's not the problem. The problem is people don't listen. I once spent two hours at TS explaining FASTRACK to people, even tough this was the third~ time that FASTRACK was on the 7th Avenue Line. Oh and on my way back from that I had to tell alot of people the (N) was the only train running on the Broadway Line at 14th St, even tough there was a poster saying that on LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE COLUMN.

That's an issue. I agree... Many folks just don't have a clue when it comes to the subways and I myself have called folks out for not paying attention. What irks the most is when you hear an announcement several times and then you still sit there like you don't know what's going on. It's like how many times are they going to make the announcement about the re-routing of the subway before a light goes off that you need to step off and take another train? <_<

Archived