A NICE Fail!

Astoria Line

Um........ interesting.... (it's Hicksville LIRR, btw)

Great pictures, as always Danny!

I knew that. Also, I believe I the tab button got stuck, so I edited my post. In a weird way, I suppose it emulated the sign. :wacko:

There were more fails today including a one hour gap between n22's, no eastbounds between 5 & 6pm, and a jam packed westbound that left Hicksville around 6:35pm. And the 7:04pm n20 I was getting on left at 6:55pm. Unless it was the 6:04pm running very late, but it wasnt crowded. And I know the guy who drives that bus and it wasn't him. Unless he broke down....

Love the shot, but umm, lets get something straight, this is NOT a fail. This happens with EVERY Luminator sign.....even the ones here at MTA....and it happens more with ours than it does with them....

Is it not a light bulb, or something similar?

There were more fails today including a one hour gap between n22's, no eastbounds between 5 & 6pm, and a jam packed westbound that left Hicksville around 6:35pm. And the 7:04pm n20 I was getting on left at 6:55pm. Unless it was the 6:04pm running very late, but it wasnt crowded. And I know the guy who drives that bus and it wasn't him. Unless he broke down....

Or it's his RDO.

They aren't that old. For Orion V CNG standards, these are still fairly new. Though I do remember when they were being delivered in summer-fall 2004. They were awesome.

7-8 years is not fairly new....that's more than halfway to their retirement.

They aren't that old. For Orion V CNG standards, these are still fairly new. Though I do remember when they were being delivered in summer-fall 2004. They were awesome.

I never suggested they were that old when I said they were old, just older. That's why I said if you have a phone for a 2 years and your screen goes blank the manufacturer isn't going to do anything for you besides say you are SOL because it's an old phone ie no longer their responsability that doesn't mean that 2 years is past that phones useful like.

I also agree with cait smith in that I wouldn't call a bus that is half way past it's useful life almost knew, think of the abuse that bus has had in the past 7-8 years. I think the glass is half empty in that case.

Luminators are screwy anyway I've delivered buses where the luminator just stopped working halfway through the trip and I've also seen many luminator fails on buses being delivered including the sign cutting out, the display all lit up with just the orange led display, and the "subway shuttle" (I've seen that on nice too) are the most common.

I don't know which is worse: correct destination partially displayed or wrong destination completely displayed.

At least you know where the bus is going if multiple buses load in that area. Last week I took the N4 from freeport. N4 rolls up, just n4 on the luminator and N4 Freeport in the side window. B/O doesn't say anything just puts his hand over the farebox (that's the magic, broken farebox) bus gets about half full an older lady says "N4?" The B/O barks, "NO! N62." lol half the bus freaks out and starts getting off the bus just as the n4 was coming. lol Nice B/O fail.... Good thing the farebox was broken or it could've been a mess.

Agreed. However, I would not be surprised if they keep these buses in service until about 2017.

They'll probably keep them as long as they last... Until they die or 12 yrs whichever comes first.

I never suggested they were that old when I said they were old, just older. That's why I said if you have a phone for a 2 years and your screen goes blank the manufacturer isn't going to do anything for you besides say you are SOL because it's an old phone ie no longer their responsability that doesn't mean that 2 years is past that phones useful like.

I also agree with cait smith in that I wouldn't call a bus that is half way past it's useful life almost knew, think of the abuse that bus has had in the past 7-8 years. I think the glass is half empty in that case.

Luminators are screwy anyway I've delivered buses where the luminator just stopped working halfway through the trip and I've also seen many luminator fails on buses being delivered including the sign cutting out, the display all lit up with just the orange led display, and the "subway shuttle" (I've seen that on nice too) are the most common.

At least you know where the bus is going if multiple buses load in that area. Last week I took the N4 from freeport. N4 rolls up, just n4 on the luminator and N4 Freeport in the side window. B/O doesn't say anything just puts his hand over the farebox (that's the magic, broken farebox) bus gets about half full an older lady says "N4?" The B/O barks, "NO! N62." lol half the bus freaks out and starts getting off the bus just as the n4 was coming. lol Nice B/O fail.... Good thing the farebox was broken or it could've been a mess.

They'll probably keep them as long as they last... Until they die or 12 yrs whichever comes first.

True, but these guys still have shit loads of other Orion V CNGs to replace before they can touch the '04s. And with the budget that NICE has set for new bus deployments (about 40 more new CNGs are set for arrival sometime next year), it will be a little while before the Orion V CNG era on Long Island comes to a close.

Archived