MTA To Change Flashing Blue Lights On Select Bus Service Vehicles

Cait Sith

The lights are going to end up yellow or white, just like a tow truck or construction vehicle. Other colors are reserved for emergency vehicles, and rightly so.

I don't know how nobody in the MTA realized that flashing blue lights would be a problem--even emergency vehicles in NYC (other than federal) can't have forward facing blue lights (which is unfortunate because blue is actually the most easily detectable color to the human eye).

And whoever said that you would have to be an idiot to think that a big bus is an emergency vehicle--remember, the NYPD has old MTA buses outfitted with light bars and sirens that are ACTUAL emergency transport vehicles now. And don't forget about DOC prisoner buses, although those are usually school buses.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes you think if these people come up with scenarios that are lies to get their way....

I mean let's be real, siren/horn + flashing lights means you go out of your way to get out of that vehicle's way.....

Technically, you are supposed to make way if you see flashing lights or w/e, but most motorists tend to not do it unless there's a siren/horn or someone on a loudspeaker telling drivers to move, on top of it....

How was the MTA able to get away with this for so long anyway.....

In any event, as Narnia suggests, just cease the blinking on the blooming things & call it a day - and hopefully said complainers won't b*tch over that.....

Shoot, it gives the bus a extra attraction/design.

Don't forget, there's also people out here who LOVE the lights, so why take it away if it benefits riders.

And it reminds S78 riders of how much more frequent the S79 is. :P I remember a lady ranting about "Oh, it's the f**kin' blue light special".

In any case, I do agree that those lights are pretty piercing. Every time an S79 pulls in close, I always have to look away. I could sort of see the seizure argument.

As far as confusing them for cop cars, that's stupid because at the very least, the pattern of the lights is different. I'm pretty sure the police cars have red and blue lights, compared to just blue lights on the SBS buses. The SBS buses have a steady *blink*, *blink*, *blink*, pattern, whereas the lights on emergency vehicles flash a lot quicker.

Yeah, I think the best way would be to just have a steady light on the buses.

A lot of you that are criticizing drivers for mistaking a bus for an emergency vehicle have clearly never driven a car before.

If I'm driving and see red/yellow/white/blue flashing lights in my mirror I immediately think that there's an emergency vehicle behind and begin to slow down and prepare to pull over if necessary. People see the lights first before they can make out what vehicle it's on, and if you're driving a car and there's an SUV or other vehicle in between you and the bus, you may only be able to see the flashing lights because your view of the bus is blocked.

The lights don't bother me because I'm used to them now, but I can definitely see why it would confuse people who have never encountered it before. Staten Island is very suburban, there's probably many people who drive everywhere and don't use public transportation, so they have no idea what these new buses with these flashing blue lights are.

I'm not really for or against changing the lights, I'm just saying that a lot of you aren't properly thinking it through.

The ignorance of a few drivers is still not a reason to get rid of a very helpful device for the rest of us...I can see an SBS bus from much, much further away thanks to those lights, and that's often the difference in making or missing the bus.

You can argue all you want about how stupid people are, but the law is clear. Blue forward-flashing flashing lights=illegal on anything but a federal vehicle in New York City. The Daily News brought this point up a long time ago, and now that politicians are involved, the MTA has no leg to stand on at all. It is their own stupidity for not looking at this issue before starting SBS.

You know, I think White lights could be the best option. It would not clash too much with the current scheme. Either that, or just have Orange blinking "hoodlum" lights. But I agree, after almost 5 years of this service, it's only now people complain?

On the Bx12, the complaints have been going on almost since the start of the service...it's just that it reached a fever pitch now. In the day it might not be confusing, but at night it could be.

Narnia hit the nail on the head. Just stop them from flashing. As far as peoples confusion, here's what I've noticed: the SBS Artics, and the SBS Orion VIIs have different flashing patterns. The artics "blink" while the Orions "strobe". Its the strobe on the S79, which uses Orions, that causes the confusion since the NYPD vehicles also use a blue strobe. They don't need to change the color, just the pattern of the keep them steady on all together.

You can argue all you want about how stupid people are, but the law is clear. Blue forward-flashing flashing lights=illegal on anything but a federal vehicle in New York City. The Daily News brought this point up a long time ago, and now that politicians are involved, the MTA has no leg to stand on at all. It is their own stupidity for not looking at this issue before starting SBS.

It is their own stupidity, but this is also a case of bureaucracy worsening life for the rest of us. It's a rather ridiculous law. If you confuse a bus and ambulance, you shouldn't be on the road in the first place. But as it often does, idiocy dictates legislature, and we all lose.

Swear to god, it's always the reps from SI that come up with the bs legislation like this that messes up the whole rest of the city... Confusing a bus for an ambulance, how dumb are these people? Actually, they voted for Ignizio and Lanza, so I guess that answers it.

Oh please... Staten Island is a very car dependent borough compared to the other boroughs and so it doesn't surprise me that folks would be ignorant about the blue flashing lights being a bus. Furthermore, I like how you bring politics into it. The fact that these two gentlemen are Republicans of course irks you so you have to make it seem as if they were the first ones to complain. Folks have been complaining about those lights for some time now and the S79SBS just recently came to Staten Island, so if anything it was more than likely your lovely Democrats who got the ball rolling.

Really?! No offense, but you have to be effin' stupid to think a 40 or 60 foot bus is an emergency vehicle. Those complaints shoulda been thrown right out the window.

The thing is though in some parts of the city over the last few years the lighting is much darker than what it used to be and it could be hard for some folks to see. In fact I read somewhere that the lights have indeed been "dimmed" to cut back on the electricity used here in the city, so that could have something to do with it. The other issue I could is that those who drive and don't use public transit may actually be oblivious to whether it is a bus or an emergency vehicle and part of it could be from it being darker out. From a far I've seen those buses and sometimes those blue lights can be almost blinding in that you only see the lights but necessarily the bus itself. Of course I know it's a bus because I use them but I can see some folks getting confused.

I honestly don't see why they are needed to begin with. Just put Bus Time on the damn things and call it a day. Why exactly is it so important to have any sort of lights on these buses but no other buses??? Sure it's an SBS but if you miss one they run frequently enough most of the day that isn't that big of a deal.

^^ That simply tells me that you're a timid driver if you see & think anything flashing is an emergency vehicle.....

Not at all.... I understand his point completely because one's view can easily be obstructed and you only see the blue lights flashing. I see how quick those traffic cops are to give folks a ticket, so it's smart to be extra cautious because they're looking to nail folks over any little thing these days. The other thing that I've seen is undercover cops (at least on Staten Island) driving with the sirens flashing but necessarily making any noise... Dunno why they do it but they do it from time to time so that could also explain why folks get confused.

Not at all.... I understand his point completely because one's view can easily be obstructed and you only see the blue lights flashing. I see how quick those traffic cops are to give folks a ticket, so it's smart to be extra cautious because they're looking to nail folks over any little thing these days. The other thing that I've seen is undercover cops (at least on Staten Island) driving with the sirens flashing but necessarily making any noise... Dunno why they do it but they do it from time to time so that could also explain why folks get confused.

I understand his point too, but that doesn't mean you attempt to actually move out of the way for anything flashing (that's how accidents can happen too).... As for an overzealous cop, that cop would look for a way to give you a ticket regardless.... Driving too cautious isn't the way to go either....

I think everyone sumed it up, but yeah, if you differenciate a emergency vehicle with a bar of light between a bus with two blue lights (in between a headsign), consider visiting the optometrist.

Your profile says you're 16 years old which means you're not old enough to drive in New York City.

Yes, as a pedestrian it certainly is obvious whether or not a vehicle, but when you're driving down the streets you have little time to easily direct your focus to your rear view mirror for long enough to see what's coming up back there. You have to constantly be alert for other cars, taxis, buses, pedestrians, cyclists, and whatever obstacles come in your way such as construction. Basically you can't say crap about drivers not noticing until you've driven in the city.

I understand his point too, but that doesn't mean you attempt to actually move out of the way for anything flashing (that's how accidents can happen too).... As for an overzealous cop, that cop would look for a way to give you a ticket regardless.... Driving too cautious isn't the way to go either....

I know what you mean.... Not too many folks out here like Gorgor... My uncle is like that though... He's like hey if folks want to pass me by let em... They're only running down the street to the next light. I'm not sure if he's like that from being a B/O or what but he's never in a hurry but doesn't drive like an old man either.

Your profile says you're 16 years old which means you're not old enough to drive in New York City.

Yes, as a pedestrian it certainly is obvious whether or not a vehicle, but when you're driving down the streets you have little time to easily direct your focus to your rear view mirror for long enough to see what's coming up back there. You have to constantly be alert for other cars, taxis, buses, pedestrians, cyclists, and whatever obstacles come in your way such as construction. Basically you can't say crap about drivers not noticing until you've driven in the city.

And I'll admit I'm one of the folks that will walk in the street to avoid the hoards of clueless folks walking on the sidewalks, so you have to look out for me too, though I'm not hard to miss at 6'4". lol

Normally I'd take this with a grain of salt, maybe even laugh and move on, but not today smartass.

Seems as you're just looking to criticize me. If you also viewed my profile, you should have also noted my location, which by the way is in California. Here it is legal to operate a personal vehicle at age 16, the minimum age is 15.5. And contrary to what you suggest, NY State Law in accordance with the NYS DMV states the minimum driving age is 18. http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#drivingage

Before you attack me further, I have driven before at the request of family members. I've driven in urban areas, suburban areas and rural areas. And if you drive and can't see what's in your rearview with one glance, then your skills are slow in my opinion. However quite honestly I couldn't give a damn, as I prefer public transit over a personal vehicle.

And I'll admit I'm one of the folks that will walk in the street to avoid the hoards of clueless folks walking on the sidewalks, so you have to look out for me too, though I'm not hard to miss at 6'4". lol

I'll admit to this, but it's not like I take the whole damn lane or anything.

BURNED damn turbo19 :lol: But VG8 has a point.

True. Via mentions his uncle just lets people pass, but I hate that crap. But I admit it's so funny pulling up behind or next to someone who passed you at a red light. I just give a little honk and a wave to knock them down a peg.

It seems people are always in a rush to get nowhere. I remember one time, I was crossing the street, and a car went flying around a turn, when the next light was clearly red. He literally saved no time whatsoever, but took the risk of costing himself a few days of misery if he had hit me (and for starters, he'd have to wait for the cops to show up).

It seems people are always in a rush to get nowhere. I remember one time, I was crossing the street, and a car went flying around a turn, when the next light was clearly red. He literally saved no time whatsoever, but took the risk of costing himself a few days of misery if he had hit me (and for starters, he'd have to wait for the cops to show up).

What I have noticed is drivers see pedestrians as antagonists towards them. Like when I cross the street, motorists act like me crossing the street is a bother for them. I'm like, you have a car, obviously you can make up that time. I'm the one that has more ahead.

Also, keep in mind that I live in a semi-rural area and people walk slower than their urban counterparts. I feel that my walk as an urban rhythm to it, so I actually fit in urban environments like LA and SF, but here all I get is you walk fast. Go figure.

Sorry for the double post, but in post #45 where the sentence reads: "minimum driving age is 18" I swear I typed 16. Not that it's important as the link shows 16, but could that be edited by staff please, as I can't do it myself. Thanks.

Archived