MTA To Change Flashing Blue Lights On Select Bus Service Vehicles

Cait Sith

Normally I'd take this with a grain of salt, maybe even laugh and move on, but not today smartass.

Seems as you're just looking to criticize me. If you also viewed my profile, you should have also noted my location, which by the way is in California. Here it is legal to operate a personal vehicle at age 16, the minimum age is 15.5. And contrary to what you suggest, NY State Law in accordance with the NYS DMV states the minimum driving age is 18. http://www.dmv.ny.go....htm#drivingage

Before you attack me further, I have driven before at the request of family members. I've driven in urban areas, suburban areas and rural areas. And if you drive and can't see what's in your rearview with one glance, then your skills are slow in my opinion. However quite honestly I couldn't give a damn, as I prefer public transit over a personal vehicle.

Which is why I specifically stated New York City. The minimum legal age to drive within the five boroughs is 18 (17 if you completed driver's ed).

It's not personal at all, and I'm sorry if it came out like that; I just wanted to draw attention to that sentence. I'm just saying that you can't really criticize someone for doing something that you've never done before. Driving in New York City, more specifically Manhattan, is much different than anything you've experienced anywhere. I've driven in other big cities before, but in Manhattan it's completely different.

If I see a blue light flashing in my rear view mirror, it takes a second to focus in and properly identify the vehicle it's coming from. In that time, going at 30mph, I would travel 44 feet. That may not seem that far, but on New York Streets taxis cut across four lanes of traffic to pick up a fare, delivery bicycles cut in and out of traffic unpredictably, and people jaywalk wherever they want.

I'm used to the select bus now, and I assume that any flashing blue light coming up behind me is a bus so I simply ignore it, but drivers who have never encountered it before might not know what it is.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even as someone who's acutely aware of emergency vehicles and their lighting requirements and patterns, I can completely understand how motorists could be confused (albeit briefly.) When I see the SBS either directly in front of me or in the rearview mirror, of course I know what it is. The reflection of the blue light off of street signs, etc. in front of me, however, will cause me to think for a split second that there's an emergency vehicle SOMEWHERE in the immediate vicinity -- either behind me (even though I know full well that NYC emergency vehicles don't have front-facing blue lights) or having turned onto the street going the opposite way. That said, I don't have some sort of weird lingering disorientation and confusion in the wake of the blue lights, and it certainly does give one an advantage to be able to identify a specific bus coming from a distance. I know that many in NYPD and FDNY were less-than-thrilled when their agencies started using blue lights on their vehicles, I'm surprised they don't start an "MTA Can Have 'Em" waiver petition ;)

Why is everyone here associating blue lights with emergency vehicles? NYS law reserves blue lights are reserved for volunteer firefighters as a COUTESY LIGHT, meaning they are communizing with other motorists on the road to let them know they are a volunteer firefighter and responding to a call or to the firehouse so they prepare to go on a call. Other motorists seeing this can pull out of the way of the volunteer as a COUTESY. NYS V&T law does not say one must yield to a blue light in fact a volunteer fire fighter with a blue light on MUST follow all V&T traffic laws. And finally this is NOT considered an emergency vehicle!

Is the law different in NYC than everywhere else in the state? If so they suck at informing the public because I’ve never heard that (besides federal which supersedes everyone’s laws but that happens everywhere not just NYC).

This also does not include blue lights ending up on emergency vehicles in addition to the red lights (see reply to Speed Graphics post below).

I know that many in NYPD and FDNY were less-than-thrilled when their agencies started using blue lights on their vehicles, I'm surprised they don't start an "MTA Can Have 'Em" waiver petition ;)

NY has lost a lot of officers whose vehicles have been hit during traffic stops, blue lights have been added to red lights on emergency vehicles over the years because studies have shown blue lights catch the eye soon than red lights. They are added for safety, it's about saving lives!

Why is everyone here associating blue lights with emergency vehicles? NYS law reserves blue lights are reserved for volunteer firefighters as a COUTESY LIGHT, meaning they are communizing with other motorists on the road to let them know they are a volunteer firefighter and responding to a call or to the firehouse so they prepare to go on a call. Other motorists seeing this can pull out of the way of the volunteer as a COUTESY. NYS V&T law does not say one must yield to a blue light in fact a volunteer fire fighter with a blue light on MUST follow all V&T traffic laws. And finally this is NOT considered an emergency vehicle!

Is the law different in NYC than everywhere else in the state? If so they suck at informing the public because I’ve never heard that (besides federal which supersedes everyone’s laws but that happens everywhere not just NYC).

This also does not include blue lights ending up on emergency vehicles in addition to the red lights (see reply to Speed Graphics post below).

NY has lost a lot of officers whose vehicles have been hit during traffic stops, blue lights have been added to red lights on emergency vehicles over the years because studies have shown blue lights catch the eye soon than red lights. They are added for safety, it's about saving lives!

Yes, the law is different in the 5 boroughs. Only rear-facing blue lights are allowed here. It's like the "turning right on red" law. You can do it in parts of the state, but not everywhere.

Update

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Bye-bye blue.

Bowing to officials' complaints, the MTA is getting ready to change the color of the flashing lights atop its Select Bus Service vehicles.

According to state law, only certain emergency vehicles are permitted to employ the blue lights.

Select Bus Service has used the blue beacons in the Bronx and Manhattan for years. "We've used these lights since the beginning of SBS. There has never been a problem," a Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman told the Advance when the issue first came to, ahem, light.

Welcome to Staten Island -- and, yes, there is a problem with the flashing blue lights.

State Sen. Andrew Lanza (R-Staten Island) and City Councilman Vincent Ignizio (R-South Shore) in September wrote a letter to MTA CEO Joseph

Lhota noting that the blue lights are reserved for certain volunteer firefighter vehicles, ambulances, EMS vehicles of various stripes and police and fire vehicles.

The MTA's initial response, Lanza said, was along the lines of "that's the way we do it."

"The fact of the matter is, it's against the law," the senator said. "We think that there is a good public policy reason behind the law."

Lanza theorized that while most folks on the road are conditioned to pull over to let emergency vehicles through, constant exposure from a non-emergency bus would cause drivers to become "desensitized" to the blue lights.

"It's absolutely clear that the MTA was in violation of the law," Ignizio said. "Sen. Lanza and I agreed that's it's clear in state law that the flashing blue lights are to be used for emergency vehicle only."

In a statement that does not admit any error, the MTA said it will change the color it uses on Select Bus Service buses."We are currently looking at different lighting color alternatives, and once we decide on which one we are going to use we will begin retrofitting the buses accordingly," said an agency spokesman.

State Assemblyman-elect Joe Borelli (R-South Shore) was just happy to see the blue lights go.

"These were highly distracting, partially blinding and made drivers unreasonably nervous when they saw flashing blue lights in their rearview mirrors," Borelli said.

Source -- http://www.silive.co...of_the_fla.html

Damm staten island, smh, I hate this borough always complaining about something. They want better bus service, then complain. Thank god the XD40s and Novas are leaving, give them their damm Orion Vs and VIIs and call it the day.

They don't deserve nothing.

Watch when the Novas and XD40s leave they wil complain about "lack of bus diversity" or something esle stupid

Damm staten island, smh, I hate this borough always complaining about something. They want better bus service, then complain. Thank god the XD40s and Novas are leaving, give them their damm Orion Vs and VIIs and call it the day.

They don't deserve nothing.

Watch when the Novas and XD40s leave they wil complain about "lack of bus diversity" or something esle stupid

...which means they deserve evrrything

Yes, the law is different in the 5 boroughs. Only rear-facing blue lights are allowed here. It's like the "turning right on red" law. You can do it in parts of the state, but not everywhere.

Can you please provide me with a link that says only rear facng blue lights are allowed? It is NYS law that recenly changed (last couple of years) that allows rear facing blue lights on emergency vehicles to add visibility to stopped emergency vehicles.

The MTA's initial response, Lanza said, was along the lines of "that's the way we do it.".

Gotta love the MTA, (after being told they are violating the law) "meh, that's the way we do it." Unbelievable!

They would change it to a blue scale pattern so that its a solid swirl (I believe that the buses have a 6 LED arrangement? [correct me if im wrong]) So that it changes hue, but seriously this is complete **, if they are really THAT dumb, i'd rather have SBS for all of the other boros except SI, since they think flashing blue lights are the same as flashing red lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I like the blue lights flashing on SBS lines but are they really necessary?

Then if you look at the bottom what is the real value of these flashing lights? The destination sign slightly changed doesn't suffice to correctly identify the line when it is dark? The day, bus paint scheme is quite obvious.

The MTA could buy LED destination sign with color number as is done in many cities in France.

p1020181large.jpg

pic_2012_01.jpg

When I read some answers on the forum I want to say: don't forget that drivers are not bus enthousiasts like us, do you really think they recognize vehicles in one second? And if they use their car, maybe they may have never taken a bus in their lives.

Large trucks NYPD ESU may be confused, for example.

I feel that you don't understand that drivers in stress in their car and have to pay attention to everything that happens around (other vehicles, pedestrians, signals ...) can't recognize a bus. But those who wait for their bus at a bus stop must necessarily be helped to recognize their bus from afar, while logically they have nothing else to do

In addition, if a state law prohibits flashing blue and red signals on all non-emergency vehicles, the MTA and nobody else can say anything about it. "It is the law" to resume writing that was behind the bus for the bus lanes.

Finally, a fixed blue light would be nice ... from flashing green one.

C.U. Soon,

Laurent

It seems like flashing clearence lights are the MTA's answer to this whole blue light fiasco. While visiting the SIM last Thursday, I noticed a few buses on the S79 had their flashing blue lights turned off and one of these units had its' front and rear clearence lights flashing instead. It's kind of pointless if you ask me and as to why the rear clearence lights need to flash is even more mind boggling, probably has something to do with the wiring. Unfortunately I didn't take down the fleet number, however I'm sure some of you guys will spot it soon enough.

It seems like flashing clearence lights are the MTA's answer to this whole blue light fiasco. While visiting the SIM last Thursday, I noticed a few buses on the S79 had their flashing blue lights turned off and one of these units had its' front and rear clearence lights flashing instead. It's kind of pointless if you ask me and as to why the rear clearence lights need to flash is even more mind boggling, probably has something to do with the wiring. Unfortunately I didn't take down the fleet number, however I'm sure some of you guys will spot it soon enough.

That's tells you the regeneration system is off on the bus...nirging to do with the SBS lights

That's tells you the regeneration system is off on the bus...nirging to do with the SBS lights

Interesting; the TTC's Orion VIIs and NGs, both Hybrid and diesel have a special yellow light on the front bellow the driverside windshield to indicate if the retarder (For Diesel) or regenerative braking (For Hybrids) is turned off.

Because the situation wasn't about Manhattan or The Bronx.

So it's only SI where this is being applied? Interesting, I figured it was an across-the-board type of thing since it's technically breaking the rules everywhere.

So it's only SI where this is being applied? Interesting, I figured it was an across-the-board type of thing since it's technically breaking the rules everywhere.

From all the recent reports, all of the shit seems to be coming from the Island.

Guest MTA Bus

The point of the lights is so you can see the bus from a distance, which really helps out in traffic. Taking them off is like a Big Middle Finger to the MTA.

Archived