MTA To Change Flashing Blue Lights On Select Bus Service Vehicles

Cait Sith

To this day there are some LFSA's without wraps running on the Bx12 SBS so the Bronx isnt too far off.

I'm waiting for the day I see a SBS Pelham Bay short turn with a non-wrapped bus since most B/O's sign those up as locals (as opposed to the SBS reading which would actually say "SELECT BUS SERVICE" on the display).

Makes me wonder if they are done wrapping buses. It would save them money if they stopped.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Makes me wonder if they are done wrapping buses. It would save them money if they stopped.

Exactly. The wraps never made sense. Flashing lights (still nominating violet or magenta) is all they need for SBS. Well that and bus lanes, bus bulbs, traffic light priority, and actual enforcement of bus lane laws by the authorities.

I would love the new and improved SBS to have everything the B44 SBS is getting

ie. bus bulbs, traffic priority, etc

And without the MTA SBS wrap (or with it it dont matter) and violet flashing lights.(no strobe lights, blinking lights)

Violet lights would clash with the scheme too much.

LA County mta says the compobuses are goddamn tanks. Lightweight ones that can survive crashes steel buses don't, and projected to last 18 years.

(Google Docs quick view link)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:57ZBA2Wj3xsJ:www.caltransit.org/files/resources/MAINT%2520Life%2520Cycle-Drayton.ppt+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgpKTtWtLctO4BpU-WwMyD99EIaRDQcMHRSGb_F4WtNjKuIBMG60_Y45FQd3-OfCasCjRMTIMqkgYNeq5DMbx6wdn6MyaR8yNukRPABgJ1gzIac0x2pdySaC0xm09Ac6zeIy-sq&sig=AHIEtbT9FVHRJtRN6o8cmFyaxKU-H06Vgw

Yes, I *know* NABI doesn't want the MTA, which is why it's sad we can't get these things running here.

If they revert back to the original scheme, then what's the friggin point of +Select Bus Service+ anyways? I almost missed two buses in Manhattan because I am used to the classical blinking lights, I had to press start and pay very quickly over the weekend when I suddenly noticed that the upcoming bus is a +Select Bus Service+ M15 Bus instead of a regular one, the blinking lights are very vital for detection, regardless of day or night. The wraps would suffice but if there is no blinking lights nor wraps, I would honestly have missed both buses because I can't differ between a local and a +SBS+ until the display says it. 

For me and my family, we pretty much was a bit confused the first time we were on the same street as a SBS route, though I quickly identified the (MTA) SBS Bus, and we got used to it afterwards. I really think the MTA, NYCDOT and City should post up signs along the routes telling drivers about the definition of Blue Blinking lights and change some of their own vehicle lights from Blue to another color. These signs could be hang from each lamppole.  

If they revert back to the original scheme, then what's the friggin point of +Select Bus Service+ anyways? I almost missed two buses in Manhattan because I am used to the classical blinking lights, I had to press start and pay very quickly over the weekend when I suddenly noticed that the upcoming bus is a +Select Bus Service+ M15 Bus instead of a regular one, the blinking lights are very vital for detection, regardless of day or night. The wraps would suffice but if there is no blinking lights nor wraps, I would honestly have missed both buses because I can't differ between a local and a +SBS+ until the display says it. 

For me and my family, we pretty much was a bit confused the first time we were on the same street as a SBS route, though I quickly identified the (MTA) SBS Bus, and we got used to it afterwards. I really think the MTA, NYCDOT and City should post up signs along the routes telling drivers about the definition of Blue Blinking lights and change some of their own vehicle lights from Blue to another color. These signs could be hang from each lamppole.  

Well that's where the lights are supposed to come in. The scheme might not be noticed at night, but the lights will be noticed all the time. They just have to pick a light color.

*Also, I see have a post above that I managed to post in the wrong thread. ...

Well that's where the lights are supposed to come in. The scheme might not be noticed at night, but the lights will be noticed all the time. They just have to pick a light color.

The best bet is either park it on a Blinking Blue Pattern for M15, 34/34A and Bx12 +SBS+ ONLY or switch to a Blinking Violet Pattern for the buses, I wouldn't change it to some other color not shown on the +SBS+ Scheme.

*Also, I see have a post above that I managed to post in the wrong thread. ...

The blue lights represented SBS+ the best because SBS+ livery is in blue. People just complain too much per this story.

The best bet is either park it on a Blinking Blue Pattern for M15, 34/34A and Bx12 +SBS+ ONLY or switch to a Blinking Violet Pattern for the buses, I wouldn't change it to some other color not shown on the +SBS+ Scheme.

Blue just isn't happening. Either violet or white is what it's gonna have to be. Magenta can work, too.

The coolor scheme of the bus has nothing to do with the color of lights. Unless they were some sort of decorative lights. All buses, no matter what color the liveryhave the same red, amber and white lights. So this would just be a new color for a new function.

I still say pink/magenta or purple. It fits, as the color already designated LTD service (which this is a form of basically), although not in lights (yet).

Well, it's official - they literally turned off our blue lights on the LFSAs.. I noticed this on Monday when I had my bus in SBS mode and realized my blue lights weren't active, but the 3 doors still opened simultaneously; this goes for the rest of the FLA fleet. I take this went city-wide too.

Well, it's official - they literally turned off our blue lights on the LFSAs.. I noticed this on Monday when I had my bus in SBS mode and realized my blue lights weren't active, but the 3 doors still opened simultaneously; this goes for the rest of the FLA fleet. I take this went city-wide too.

Yep, S79 same thing for a while now.

• 4 months later...

Ok bringing bak a dated thread but a popular one to give you guys some info from the other side of this issue.

I am a Volunteer Firefigher in Queens and little known is that there are 9 Depts within the City (5x Queens,2x SI, 1 Brooklyn,1 Bronx)

For the time it took for issue to come to light we started complaining immedieatly took years to get results.

As for confusing a bus for a emergency vehicle doubutful, some one stated about using Lights & sirens to ID. Voulnteers are not permited to use sirens as NYS consideres a Blue or Green (Vol. Fire or Vol EMS) to be a curtisy light meaning there is no requirment to yield right of way.

As most city residents are unaware of what a blue light means buy allowing the further use of them could posibaly cause desensization to them with the public thinking it's just a bus behind me i dont need to move. Trust me we have enugh of this already.

As for other colors NYS states fordward facing colored light are as followes.

Blue = Volunteer Firefighter Only

Green = Volunteer EMS only.

Red & White = Emergency Vehicle (Police/Fire)

NY actualy list any

" No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein."

Which removes any other color that had been discused, The State Police had to get the LAw changed to add blue lights to the REAR of there cars.(since changed to all emergency vehicles)

As for using stead burn (non flashing) of any color would fall under the above restrictions. Which is why there is now a proposal to allow for purple light to be used on the buses, I know this color is not used by any emergency service anyware in the nation and is comonly used for funeral vehicles.

Ok bringing bak a dated thread but a popular one to give you guys some info from the other side of this issue.

I am a Volunteer Firefigher in Queens and little known is that there are 9 Depts within the City (5x Queens,2x SI, 1 Brooklyn,1 Bronx)

For the time it took for issue to come to light we started complaining immedieatly took years to get results.

As for confusing a bus for a emergency vehicle doubutful, some one stated about using Lights & sirens to ID. Voulnteers are not permited to use sirens as NYS consideres a Blue or Green (Vol. Fire or Vol EMS) to be a curtisy light meaning there is no requirment to yield right of way.

As most city residents are unaware of what a blue light means buy allowing the further use of them could posibaly cause desensization to them with the public thinking it's just a bus behind me i dont need to move. Trust me we have enugh of this already.

As for other colors NYS states fordward facing colored light are as followes.

Blue = Volunteer Firefighter Only

Green = Volunteer EMS only.

Red & White = Emergency Vehicle (Police/Fire)

NY actualy list any

" No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein."

Which removes any other color that had been discused, The State Police had to get the LAw changed to add blue lights to the REAR of there cars.(since changed to all emergency vehicles)

As for using stead burn (non flashing) of any color would fall under the above restrictions. Which is why there is now a proposal to allow for purple light to be used on the buses, I know this color is not used by any emergency service anyware in the nation and is comonly used for funeral vehicles.

"I CONFUSE BUSES WITH FUNERALS NOW THE HORROR OH THE MTA IS SO AWFUL" - Stupid people the second this is approved

Actually, it gets worse. That one douchebag from SI is already saying purple is also awful because he thinks it's similar to blue. Can't please people who actively want to discourage public transport because they think it's for yucky poors and minorities.

"I CONFUSE BUSES WITH FUNERALS NOW THE HORROR OH THE MTA IS SO AWFUL" - Stupid people the second this is approved

Actually, it gets worse. That one douchebag from SI is already saying purple is also awful because he thinks it's similar to blue. Can't please people who actively want to discourage public transport because they think it's for yucky poors and minorities.

Funeral vehicles? I and many mortuaries must have missed the memo as I've never seen a procession led with such lights.  In fact, I'd imagine it would look tacky affixing them on a hearse of all vehicles.

And about the douchebags, that's common. Some residents will even bitch about extended parking if they get the chance. It just so happens they're now attacking the (MTA) and buses, with or without their agenda.

"ITS KIND OF LIKE BLUE BUT IT ALSO HAS RED IN IT AND THEREFORE IT'S LIKE TWO EMERGENCY VEHICLES

WHY IS THIS SO CONFUSING!!!111"

He also claims that the flashing lights aren't needed because "When I saw a bus that had an ‘X’ on it, I knew it was an express bus." And the bill doesn't even apply to the S79, which doesn't have off-board fare payment, so he has nothing to worry about.

Archived