The Restoration of R Service on Friday, Dec. 21! Exciting isn't it.....

Metro CSW

[float=left]post-5097-0-12443000-1356274497_thumb.jpg[/float]The (MTA) plans to restore ® train service between Manhattan and Brooklyn on Dec. 21, officials said Monday.

Signals and other equipment in the Montague St. tunnel used by the trains experienced severe damage when they were flooded by Hurricane Sandy.

"We've been working around the clock," said Carmen Bianco, senior vice president in charge of subways, in announcing the planned return to service.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-12443000-1356274497_thumb.jpg

This is good to a few but in my honest opinion its just bad...

Both Queens and Brooklyn will have horrible (R) Service again...

(Make a Forest Hills 71st Avenue - Whitehall Street bound (K) and a Bay Ridge to Jay Street bound (R) ) There's the good service that will never happen lol

But seriously in my honest opinion this is just bad news because the (R) won't have anymore good service in Brooklyn and Queens.

These have been the best 6 weeks of Bay Ridge R service I have ever had. Not one complaint at all. Bay Ridge R trains came on regularly scheduled 10 minute intervals every evening around 9pm and 10pm at 36th St. Never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a train (instead of the 20 to 25+ minutes I used to wait at that time). Midday riders had the same service frequency as before. Late night riders had a major service increase to Bay Ridge (particularly those transferring from the 2, 4, Q, F and A trains who no longer needed to wait for a delayed D or N train to connect to an R shuttle.)

Guess it's back to the endless 20 to 25+ minute waits for a Bay Ridge train after 8pm. Take a look at 59th St Brooklyn after 8pm when an N express pulls in. There is a mass exodus of passengers - hundreds and hundreds get out and walk (either to Bay Ridge or back to 53rd St). Much better than waiting 20 to 25+ minutes (no joke!) for an R train.

I'm guessing the only people who like 95th to 71Av/Continental Av R train service are rush-hour riders who need lower Manhattan. Not me. I find it faster to transfer to a D or N express, walk thru at Atlantic,and then catch a 2, 3, 4 or 5 , rather than wait for the R train. I avoid the R at all costs and only use it as a shuttle between Bay Ridge and the 36th St express trains, no matter if my destination is downtown Brooklyn , lower Manhattan, midtown Manhattan, or anywhere in Queens.

I guess I'm going to have to call the MTA every time there's another 20+ minute wait after 8pm for a Bay Ridge train. And every time after midnight that the R shuttle leaves a couple of minutes early without waiting for its scheduled N and D connections.

I am so upset that the R train is coming back its full route. The delays are endless. Bay Ridge riders deserve a reliable train. (Similarly, I feel very bad for Queens Blvd local riders, especially on weekends when the R gets delayed anywhere along its super long route.)

Question for those of you who are upset, um so you would rather the line just be SPLIT in half forever???just so you can have "reliable" service on the 4th Avenue line

I don't know about the others, but me personally I just wanna see the (R) and other Broadway lines function normally on time and not taking 10 minutes to show up...

YES, that is exactly what I would like. I'd much rather transfer and have reliable headways. This service has saved me 20+ minutes every night during my commute home. It has been a major pleasure. The difference is enormous. Every night for the past 6 weeks has been delay-free. (I think the R needs to run the full-route during rush hours due to overcrowding on the #4 and #5 lines, but any other time of the day, I think this is the perfect service pattern.)

YES, that is exactly what I would like. I'd much rather transfer and have reliable headways. This service has saved me 20+ minutes every night during my commute home. It has been a major pleasure. The difference is enormous. Every night for the past 6 weeks has been delay-free. (I think the R needs to run the full-route during rush hours due to overcrowding on the #4 and #5 lines, but any other time of the day, I think this is the perfect service pattern.)

Not trying to be a foamer but IMO there two options when the SAS opens at end of this decade(assuming no more delays lol)

1)Create a 24-7 SAS/Bway/4th Ave Local between 96th/2nd and Bay Ridge.

(R) runs between Forest Hills and Whitehall at all times.

Or in immedate future.

1)Extend the (J) to 95th Street and have the (R) run between Forest Hills and Whitehall.

Again not endorsing it but something to think about it.

Rtrainblues for now why not use the X27 which recently had full time 7 day a week service restored? For right now, I agree that the (R) overnight should be extended to at least Atlantic/Barclay's Center. While any extensive delays(more than 20 minute late) use steps such as using the Manhattan Bridge or express tracks along Broadway/4th Avenue or also Queens Blvd. That some ideas.

MTA can't wait for things to get back to normal to begin cutting the (5) weekend service back to E 180 St again, the (4) can maintain its extra crowding on the weekends. At least when the (R) was split, the (5) went to Manhattan every weekend, now it looks like the weekend GOs are coming back.

5.png No trains running [/b]%5B/url%5D

2.png and 4.png trains provide alternate service

Weekend, 3:45 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Dec 29 - 30 Jan 5 - 6 Jan 12 - 13

2.png trains replace the 5.png between Dyre Av and E 180 St.

2.png trains make all stops between E 180 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse.

4.png trains make all 5.png stops between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Bowling Green.

Transfer between 2.png and 4.png trains at 149 St-Grand Concourse

No (5) shuttle, just a (2) shuttle from 241-180. This particular pattern at least ensures more people have a one-train transfer as opposed to Dyre folks having to take three trains just to get to the east side (WPR riders would have to do that instead.)

There are other GOs that have the (5) running as only a shuttle on the weekends (when not replaced completely). This GO could easily have the (2) and (5) running to Dyre at the same time like a few weeks ago now it looks like the (R) will replace the (5) in Lower Manhattan to help the (4) on weekends.

MTA also has this up for one of the weekends for some reason

5.png No trains between E 180 St and Bowling Green

2.png and 4.png trains provide alternate service

Weekend, Saturday and Sunday, Jan 12 - 13

5.png Service operates between Dyre Av and E 180 St.

• Transfer between 5.png and 2.png trains at E 180 St.

• Transfer between 2.png and 4.png trains at 149 St-Grand Concourse.

Question for those of you who are upset, um so you would rather the line just be SPLIT in half forever???just so you can have "reliable" service on the 4th Avenue line

Don't mind him, he's been bellyaching for a while about wanting the (R) to stay split. It's a lost cause trying to reason with him. He'll have to deal with it like everyone else has to. (4)(5) needs a relief.

Oh ok i wasnt the only one then that thought it was running better then before Sandy.......in the morning i used to take the Q to Canal and wait for an N because to catch a R at Deklab was too long..........ever since Sandy the R has been showing up to Deklab and making my commute pleasant.......guess ill be going back to my old ways !

They also started running test trains last night..... i wonder how that went....theres still work to be done in that tube IMO

As long as the world doesn't end before it happens, then we're on track to the (R).

Woohoo, at least the (R) is back. Coincidentally, the date is the end of the world. LOL. :lol::lol::lol:

But see, that's the trick. The MTA secretly delayed reopening the (R) to that date in hopes that they wouldn't actually have to open it LOL.

Archived