The Complex Issue of Gun Laws in the US

Aussieinuk

"Overpowered"? What does that even mean? What's the standard for power? Are we talking about muzzle energies? Velocity? A new unit that has yet to be defined?

I mean anything more than a semi-automatic... (which even that is a bit of a stretch...)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anybody hear about Camden, NJ 's gun buy back program which had an unexpected high turnout.... In fact, they had it on the same day as the shooting. I don't think it means Camden will be safer, but it sends a message nationwide

you need to bring the National Guard into Camden to make that place safe.

Eh IMO Guns never solve a problem they didn't cause in the first place. But the right to own one is there for a reason. The thing about rights is you don't have to exercise them. This is one I don't exercise for my own reasons and I don't think a ban would solve anything. Bans have had a history of making things worse in this country. But it don't take a rocket scientist to realize that the occurrence of shootings has become far too frequent. Something needs to be done. Now for all you guys who are against a ban for whatever reason, I'd like to see you actually propose a solution to this problem that doesn't involve every man woman and child simply just having one on their person. Because that won't reduce the number of gun related incidents either.

True, plus the psychiatric drugs and their affects on the brain. I played all the gta games since gta3 and have no intentions of acting the same shit in the game out for real. Some people can't separate the line bw fiction and real life.

Yet moms default reaction to the idea of parenting is to ignore the kid all day and buy them a playstation. Seriously, some of these kids just haven't lived one day in reality.

True, plus the psychiatric drugs and their affects on the brain. I played all the gta games since gta3 and have no intentions of acting the same shit in the game out for real. Some people can't separate the line bw fiction and real life.

Yet moms default reaction to the idea of parenting is to ignore the kid all day and buy them a playstation. Seriously, some of these kids just haven't lived one day in reality.

Love how you guys bring this up as I started playing GTA in the PS1 days. I was like 4 or 5 then? I think many of us have been around these "influences" and for the most part, I think the majority of everyone here is a productive member of society.

What I'm getting at is, at what point do we as a society stop looking to blame others and understand that some individuals are going to act like this anyway. Why are we looking to attack parents or even media?

Ew, no... Plus speaking of violence, you had stuff like Tom and Jerry and looney toons with characters getting shot and stuff, and it didn't seem like there were many mass shootings then. I blame the higher use of drugs and maybe the fractured parenting than I do violent games and movies. Of course it should be enforced that no kids under the age restriction should be watching such movies or play those games. So blame the parents for being enablers than parents.

I for one play GTA, COD, etc. but I know it's all fake and don't act like the people in the games. People just need to be responsible with these games and understand that it's all fake and you can't just go around IRL doing that shit. You can't dial up a cheat code on your phone and lose your wanted level in real life.

Well if the violent games make em violent, lets have them kids watch more My Lil Pony then, that should make them nicer and kinder towards one another n stuff.

Lol. I wouldn't have been able to stand that show as a kid, let alone now. I'm actually suprised that there is so many fans, but everyone has their interests.

Ew, no... Plus speaking of violence, you had stuff like Tom and Jerry and looney toons with characters getting shot and stuff, and it didn't seem like there were many mass shootings then. I blame the higher use of drugs and maybe the fractured parenting than I do violent games and movies. Of course it should be enforced that no kids under the age restriction should be watching such movies or play those games. So blame the parents for being enablers than parents.

To an extent yes. Some of it does lie with the parents, but it varies. My parents had no problem with me playing "violent" video games or watching rated R movies, but that didn't mean the supported or advocated it. In fact I bought most of my PS2 games myself and on occasion went to go see movies among friends. You could counter argue that my parents indirectly supported this by funding most of this, but I assume they had enough trust in me. At least I wasn't buy drugs or anything like that.

I for one play GTA, COD, etc. but I know it's all fake and don't act like the people in the games. People just need to be responsible with these games and understand that it's all fake and you can't just go around IRL doing that shit. You can't dial up a cheat code on your phone and lose your wanted level in real life.

As I will continue saying, personal responsibility accounts for more than people give credit to.

Shifting gears today. The NRA at a press conference (12/21/12)called for armed security or police at every public school (i.e grade school to high school) in America. Link of press conference is below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nra-calls-for-armed-officers-at-schools-full-speech/2012/12/21/4c7c1d5c-4b93-11e2-9a42-d1ce6d0ed278_video.html

Shifting gears today. The NRA at a press conference (12/21/12)called for armed security or police at every public school (i.e grade school to high school) in America. Link of press conference is below.

http://www.washingto...d278_video.html

I'm so glad i don't have to grow up in this day and age. I didn't have to worry about this crap growing up. People must have actually had sense back in the day or something. Sure let's make our kids feel more like they go to class in prisons or something. It's not that difficult. Just make it more difficult for nutcases to get their hands on guns.

I'm so glad i don't have to grow up in this day and age. I didn't have to worry about this crap growing up. People must have actually had sense back in the day or something. Sure let's make our kids feel more like they go to class in prisons or something. It's not that difficult. Just make it more difficult for nutcases to get their hands on guns.

I agree, to an extent.

http://www.washingto...d278_video.html

Municipalities could not afford this; they would need to spend money they simply don't have. Maybe in their ideal world it would happen, but in this world of budget constraints it's not possible. They say that volunteers, but there were volunteers in Columbine (from what I heard) and that didn't work out. The NRA is right that there is a culture of violence, but unfortunately they help to cultivate that through lobbying for military rifles.

at least it was about security guards and not 'let's arm all the teachers'. Credit to him, it sadly has to happen. That or we need metal detectors at all schools to keep people with weapons from getting in.

at least it was about security guards and not 'let's arm all the teachers'. Credit to him, it sadly has to happen. That or we need metal detectors at all schools to keep people with weapons from getting in.

Oh, I've got a feeling that's coming next! It's only a matter of time.

Archived