The Complex Issue of Gun Laws in the US

Aussieinuk

You already have some schools with metal detectors. It's just a matter of time how long they spread it to all of them. It's clear the gun fearers like emperor Bloomberg is so gun adverse, metal detectors is the next best options. Plus what's the harm of cops in schools? Some of those kids in this city could get some straitening out if they saw cops around instead of acting like little pos when school lets out and terrorizing people with their stupidity and out if control behavior.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't most public high schools have metal detectors nowadays already? -_-

I see home schooling becoming very popular soon.

Only in the city adn even then the high crime areas do the schools have metal detectors. Elsewhere the most security they have is some incompetent rentacop

Metal detectors won't stop someone with murderous intentions from setting up shop across the street from a school, church, playground, police station, Macy's Herald Square, or Penn Station, and taking out as many people as he/she can before running out of ammo or being taken out himself. It may sound farfetched to some people but what's to stop some nut from setting up shop where a crowded subway or railcar passes by and proceeds to fire on a 10 or 12 car train ? Even if everyone on the train was armed? I read and re-read the statement from the NRA Friday and I realized that gun ownership and the laws that surround the issue leave a lot to be desired when it comes down to the real world. It used to be that one didn't need an arsenal to protect ones home from an intruder. These days, with the proliferation of drugs legal or illegal, and the people hooked on them, perhaps the issue needs to be looked at in a different light. I'm not advocating for or against gun ownership by any means. When I grew up in Brooklyn in the '50's to the mid '70's the only break-ins I remember were heroin junkies looking to burglarize and steal valuables to buy a fix. They weren't armed with anything more than a knife, if that. If someone was home and confronted them they either ran or got their behinds beat to a pulp. No guns neeeded. The" methadonians", my word, who followed, same thing. Wash, rinse, repeat. Unfortunately cocaine and crack followed after that. Now it became preferable to have a weapon, legal or not, because these types were so screwed up that they didn't back down from confrontation. There were also a spate of break-ins where the intruders thought the houses were drug houses or the owners were dealers themselves. Shootings picked up across the cities and suburbs and gun ownership increased in America. Protect yourself from crime, right? While this was going on no one realized that legal drugs, medicines were being prescribed for every kind of physical or mental ailment known to man. Now we have Mr. and Mrs. honest, average, American, armed to the teeth behind closed doors, waiting for some inner city junkie, or suburban meth head, to kick in their door so they can blast him to Kingdom Come. Meanwhile little Bobby is sitting in a locked room playing COD or GTA while off his meds or high on his parent's medicine. Who can say if the person outside is more dangerous than the one inside ? I know I can't. I do know that it's simplistic to blame video games, movies, cartoons, for this explosion in violence across the country. We watched war movies and westerns and never thought about killing anyone..Heck, we cheered the Magnificent Seven and Dirty Harry. Back in my day they blamed rock and roll for juvenile delinquency and recently they blamed acid rock and rap for gun violence. I think a lot of blame falls on inattentive parenting, over prescription of mind altering drugs, (I'm not saying LSD, lol). or parents who grew up in that era who have no control or interest in their children. You know, the ones who make excuses for their child's behavior until something tragic like this happens. When it comes down to it it's too little, too late. I don't profess to know the answer to this problem we have today but at least we're talking about it in a reasonable manner in the forums. As far as I'm concerned, enough is enough. BTW the scenario I brought up earlier about the train ? A few of my friends and I were fishing and BSing on the Cross Bay Bridge and this spaced-out dude walked up to us, bummed a cigarette, and casually mentioned it to us. This was over 30 years ago and we laughed it off back then. As I think about it today I shake my head in wonderment. My two cents. Carry on.

The NRA's solution is armed guards in schools. I can see what will happen next. You will have metal detectors in shopping malls and other public places. I hope that never happens here. For the most part police are unarmed. We do not have security guards in banks. The vans that transport cash only have one unarmed driver.

I have spent time in The Philippines where you are searched every time you enter a shopping mall. I am sure nobody can say it's nice to live in a society like that.

Talk about strange odd couples agreeing on an issue. The Rev. Al Sharpton and Fox News/NY Post Consertative owner and media mogul Rupert Mudrock. Both probable could not agree on dinner lol but after the Sandy Hook massacre, they both seem to agree on some form of gun control/ban on military assult weapons.

And also bashing the NRA CEO friday 12/21/12 press conference.

gun23n-1-web.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/sharpton-vows-mount-gun-protests-article-1.1226052

And NY Post led by Mudrock as well.

original.jpg

I was thinking on this issue lately and I realized something, I understand they were not going to banned guns and I do believe and the 2nd amendment but you got to realize that there are certain Guns or the how much ammo should not be accessed to the average american to buy,There is a reason why Bazooka or Grande's are not available for sell in Gun stores, But bet you that the NRA would probably Support sell of Bazookas to if they were available.

Speaking of the NRA, At conference Wayne LaPierre Speech was just suck to the core,he blamed the Violent movies and Video games and his only solution was to have Cops in school with Guns, but here is the thing, Crazy gun mans have more fire power then there Cops, the sandy hook shooter had a Bushmaster M4 With the reloading disable, so imagined Cops with regular hand guns Vs the Shooter with very power full Gun, who do you think is going to win this gun fight?.

We can't prevent gun Violence but we can prevent Mas murders if we can regulate the more dangerous guns.

Never let anyone trample on your rights, because the second you give them an inch, they will take a mile. In 1776, many fought, and many died to secure a future for the rest of America. Why piss all over that?

They're already getting pissed all over. Look all around you!

But yeah, high capacity gun clips? Why in the blue hell would anyone need a HIGH capacity gun clip, let alone several of them? Why is ammunition being sold so blindly to people? I say let the people have their damn guns but control who and where the bullets go to.

I was thinking on this issue lately and I realized something, I understand they were not going to banned guns and I do believe and the 2nd amendment but you got to realize that there are certain Guns or the how much ammo should not be accessed to the average american to buy,There is a reason why Bazooka or Grande's are not available for sell in Gun stores, But bet you that the NRA would probably Support sell of Bazookas to if they were available.

Speaking of the NRA, At conference Wayne LaPierre Speech was just suck to the core,he blamed the Violent movies and Video games and his only solution was to have Cops in school with Guns, but here is the thing, Crazy gun mans have more fire power then there Cops, the sandy hook shooter had a Bushmaster M4 With the reloading disable, so imagined Cops with regular hand guns Vs the Shooter with very power full Gun, who do you think is going to win this gun fight?.

We can't prevent gun Violence but we can prevent Mas murders if we can regulate the more dangerous guns.

again, how can you take the illegal guns out of the equation or stolen guns? Of course it sounds ideal to stop selling high powered guns, but criminals will always find ways to getting their hands on those assault riffles. You can't expect to apply the same standard for NYC and some area in Alaska.

again, how can you take the illegal guns out of the equation or stolen guns? Of course it sounds ideal to stop selling high powered guns, but criminals will always find ways to getting their hands on those assault riffles. You can't expect to apply the same standard for NYC and some area in Alaska.

Yes your right we can't stop criminals from finding high powered illegal guns but having some form of strong regulation so the criminals would have a hard time finding illegal guns wouldn't hurt, I mean it sicken me that every time there is a mass murder guns sales goes the roof. it always with ''I NEED A GUN TO PROTECT MY FAMILY'' I can understand if you have a hand gun but a assault rifle is just complete overkill.

They're already getting pissed all over. Look all around you!

But yeah, high capacity gun clips? Why in the blue hell would anyone need a HIGH capacity gun clip, let alone several of them? Why is ammunition being sold so blindly to people? I say let the people have their damn guns but control who and where the bullets go to.

It's very easy to make your own ammo. Several friends of mine do it, and it's quite a money-saving idea for those of us that frequent the range.

I don't really understand the idea of banning magazines over a certain capacity. It's almost as if they think the magazine itself commits crime (hint: only people are capable of committing crime.)

It's part of the idea where legislation is the be-all, end-all to the worlds' problems. Increase government overhead and everything will be A-OK. Yeah...right...

Which is all the more reason to hold the FEDs accountible. I still think it was an inside job because the media can't even get their damn story straight.

Which is all the more reason to hold the FEDs accountible. I still think it was an inside job because the media can't even get their damn story straight.

You are wrong and you only make yourself look stupider by perpetuating this myth. Stop, for your sake.

What a load of crap. Look at the facts, the Batman shooting, the Mall shooting, VA Tech shooting, and now this. They all were mentally unstable individuals with the same motives more or less. Stop believing the idiot media. Go to the FBI's own web site and get information about crime records of different during the last year or so. They were PROVEN to had gone down WITH more firearms in the streets. Criminals will back off from doing anything stupid in a heavily armed public. Proven fact.

• 3 weeks later...

nyguns-web-articleLarge.jpg

ALBANY — Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo signed into law on Tuesday a sweeping package of gun control measures, significantly expanding a ban on assault weapons and making New York the first state to change its laws in response to the mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

Mr. Cuomo signed the bill less than an hour after the State Assembly approved the legislation on a 104-to-43 vote. The State Senate approved the measure, 43 to 18, on Monday night.

The expanded ban on assault weapons broadens the definition of such weapons, banning semiautomatic pistols and rifles with detachable magazines and one military-style feature, as well as semiautomatic shotguns with one military-style feature. New Yorkers who already own such guns can keep them but will be required to register them with the state.

Read more: Source

Archived