Total Loss at South Ferry ?

NYCTSignals

Here's the bad news: Theheavily-flooded South Ferry subway station -- the terminus of the 1 train -- could be out of commission for up to a year, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

Thomas Prendergast, president of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, told board members that a full assessment of the South Ferry station hasn't even been completed because the damage was so severe.

Initial estimates by the MTA put the cost of rebuilding the South Ferry station at $600 million.

But if the MTA decides the costs of repairing the station "aren't worth the investment or we could use that money elsewhere, we would make that decision along those lines," Prendergast said, according to the Journal.

The South Ferry station won't be complety eliminated and its footprint won't be removed, but some vulnerable equipment could be moved elsewhere.

"If you get a situation where you say, "The likelihood of this flooding occurring again is really, really high, 'would you really put this asset back in the same location," Prendergast said, according to the Journal report.

I read that and am a bit confused by what it means..........do they mean keeping the station but moving the tower ???? Isnt also weird how it cost 500 million to build and over 600million to repair ????

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing they will move out all the tower and dispatch equipment and do basic repairs on the platform, at the lowest possible cost. I think enouhg people use the station that they will not close it entirely, but it probably will look crappy like it did before the renovation. There will definitely be more flooding in that station in the next few years when we get another big storm.

It should be interesting to see how this progresses.

I hope I'll be able to ride through the loop in October, at least.

Lol, better hope Snowblock doesn't read that.

But yeah, smh at how it'll cost more to fix the station (yes granted it also includes Whitehall) than it did to build it in the first place. A possible $1 billion for one station? Talk about flushing money away...

Again, you folks are forgetting a few very important details about this. First and foremost, that station was funded by federal earmarks. If the government does actually get its collective heads out of their ass and pass a relief bill, they're likely to want any money allocated to the subway to go to the project they funded, not the obsolete loops.

Secondly, even if they were to reopen the loops and abandon the new station, they'd lose 3/4ths the capacity they have, along with the ADA accessibility and the connection with lower Broadway, which has proven invaluable when work affects 7th Avenue.

Sometimes, I think some of you guys like to toss around ideas without fully grasping the ramifications of said idea. Look, I get that new South Ferry could've been built better. However, there's no proof that had the station been built with proper waterproofing, the damage would have been less. Abandoning a newer station in favor of one that is inferior in almost every way is completely ridiculous.

I think (1) riders heading to South Ferry will continue to transfer for the (R) at Times Square-42nd Street to Whitehall Street or take the (2)(3) at Chambers Street to Fulton Street for the (4)(5) to Bowling Green like they always do presently. These alternatives are in put still until the South Ferry two-track full length station on the Broadway-Seventh Avenue Line reopens after a year or so.

@Lance: like I said, if it's at least 80-100% covered by the feds, then by all means fix up the complex. But it's just too friggin much money for one area when there's other places in the system that could use a fraction of that money. And ftr, I could care less about the loop stop. If the last stop has to be Rector for a while, then so be it.

Now whether riders will put up with the loss of the new SF stop for up to a year before demanding a temporary reopening of the loop stop, that's a different matter entirely. It all comes down to the riders if they complain enough.

Aside from ADA compliance, the old station is FAR superior to the new one.

1. The loop can turn more trains.

2. The loop is closer to the ferry terminal.

3. The actual path from the Loop platform to the R platform is much shorter than that of the new terminal to the R platform.

4. The loop platform would almost certainly be a LOT cheaper to restore.

Sounds like a compelling reason to restore the loop instead of the new terminal, doesn't it?

Does it sound as compelling if you take into account that it would be entirely illegal to do so due to ADA, and that we would almost certainly have to pay the feds the 900 or so million they paid for the new station?

I don't think so.

We got shafted with the new station, but there is no choice. We will rebuild it, and will use it again after said rebuild is done.

Secondly, even if they were to reopen the loops and abandon the new station, they'd lose 3/4ths the capacity they have, along with the ADA accessibility and the connection with lower Broadway, which has proven invaluable when work affects 7th Avenue.

Who cares about ADA compliance right after a terrible hurricane? Does the higher capacity matter now. South Ferry loop can be re-opened for convenience temporarily.

Aside from ADA compliance, the old station is FAR superior to the new one.

Now that's a foamer statement tho! :lol:

i think the best idea would be to move the tower or something in the way of that.....cant stand the movable platforms and how terribly small the old station was. The plus to the old station was it was right inside the ferry, other then that there was nothing good about it. I really can't see them abandoning a brand new station like that !

Abandoning a newer station in favor of one that is inferior in almost every way is completely ridiculous.

Totally agreed. But an inferior station is better than no station at all. The old station should be reopened. But ONLY as long as it takes to reopen the good station.

Lol, better hope Snowblock doesn't read that.

But yeah, smh at how it'll cost more to fix the station (yes granted it also includes Whitehall) than it did to build it in the first place. A possible $1 billion for one station? Talk about flushing money away...

Actually, does it include Whitehall? Because Whitehall has already reopened.

Actually, does it include Whitehall? Because Whitehall has already reopened.

i know, but like I said, way too much for one area.

Legally, yes it certainly is that important. It may seem silly to you and me, but the law is the law.

sadly so...

Totally agreed. But an inferior station is better than no station at all. The old station should be reopened. But ONLY as long as it takes to reopen the good station.

exactly. Better some service than no service. I don't think it's fair to expect people to be packing on the 4 5 if they can restore the 1 to SF.

Archived