Chinese made airliner COMAC C919

Aussieinuk

China has decided to enter the commercial aircraft market. The COMAC C919 is in development stages with the first test flight to commence in 2016.Orders have been placed by just about all of China's major airlines.

The C919 is a family of 168-190 seat narrow body airliners. They will use foreign engine and avionics technology to begin with. CFM will supply a version of the LEAP engine to power the aircraft.

The C919 forms part of China's long term goal to break Airbus and Boeing's duopoly, and is intended to compete with the Airbus A320 and the B737. Long term plans include the wide body twin aisle C929 and C939.

It will be interesting to see if these new aircraft will have any real impact on the already proven Airbus and Boeing products. One thing is for sure, I bet they will be a lot cheaper to buy.

Don't know if they can even compete with Boeing or AirBus like that, especially if this Chinese company is just an upstart as well.

*Hopefully this doesn't turn into a conversation of everything made in China sucks, because I guarantee you half the shit we use may have something from China.

When it comes to Chinese quality control, sometimes you'll get a durable item, sometimes a lemon, and sometimes something decent, which is why i say their quality control varies. I'm just hoping COMAC doesn't cut corners nor rushes the design...

...either way, who knows if they'll stand a chance against Boeing and Airbus.

I think they already make military aircraft under another name. They have had to get international aviation certification to be able to proceed with this venture. I imagine there will be a lot of western expertise helping them out.

Archived