That unwritten fringe benefit

LexAveExp5

Is it true that train operators get a lot of women? ;^)

you just reminded me of this time I was on the LIRR in rush hour heading back from a photo trip, and I was lookin out the front window and the engineer had the cab door open behind me, and he was chatting with some random girl and by the time her stop showed up the two of em had set up a date to go out.

Is it true that train operators get a lot of women? ;^)

Not as many as Bus Operators ;)....

But 99% of the time it's important to think with the head above your shoulders not below...they get dyslexic and read ATM instead of MTA on our uniforms.

you just reminded me of this time I was on the LIRR in rush hour heading back from a photo trip, and I was lookin out the front window and the engineer had the cab door open behind me, and he was chatting with some random girl and by the time her stop showed up the two of em had set up a date to go out.

When I was working midnights in WSY ,hopping on the train with the East end club goers with any kind of LIRR attire made eyes light up. Some wanted and some unwanted . Lol

What exactly is the purpose of the shoe plank? I'm assuming that, that is that yellow block of wood.

The Shoe Paddle is used to beat unruly customers.

Just kidding. It's used to lift the contact shoes off of the third rail in case of any issues. We do those on Friday in Schoolcar.

Shoe paddles have a million uses. A makeshift back rest, an arm extension for the punch boxes, a podium for shorter C/R's, a door stop, a crowbar for stuck doors, protection from passengers, a notepad.....and yeah, every now and then you may need to isolate a contact shoe from the third rail......

What exactly is the purpose of the shoe plank? I'm assuming that, that is that yellow block of wood.

Don't feel bad. Until I started working here I thought it was to be put on the floor behind the door to keep ppl from kicking it in. Once I found out the name of it still didn't get how it could be called a shoe paddle until the contact shoe explanation. Seems it's used for everything BUT what it's named for.

I've had shoe paddle pseudo swordfights on the plat. It's fun and for some reason there are many hidden in the columns at my terminal.

As for that "unwritten fringe benefit", I can totally see it. For me personally, as a railfan, that C/R hat or blueshirt or stripes add that extra layer of amazingness. It shall be interesting to see just how true that can be when I get my blueshirt or stripes B-)

One of my instructors use it as an extension for his arm to trip circuits(usually B2circuit R62) while were trying to do a brake test to see if we notice the problem. LOL

Archived