MTA signs off on fare hikes that include higher base fare, higher unlimited

Harry

$2.50 is incredibly low when you go the distance. But walking is lower. Here are your directions you can use daily:

https://maps.google....g=w&mra=ls&z=11

EDIT: You'll be walking on Ocean Avenue all the way through about 6 or so neighborhoods then on Flatbush Avenue through Grand Army Plaza, Barclays Center. After you'll faint on the Manhattan Bridge and fall off it. Have a great commute!

LOL. Sure, you take the (2)(3)(4) or (5) to Grand Army Plaza and see me walking on Flatbush. Hop back on the train, go to midtown, and wait for 2-or-so hours. When I don't show up... call 911. Remember I faint on the bridge from exhaustion.

EDIT: Even easier, instead of Grand Army Plaza, you can meet me at Barclays Center and see my exhaustion! But, it's cheaper than the $2.50 I would have to pay for a (B) or (Q) train to Midtown!

It's hard to do that because the MTA still needs to be under one roof. It would be hard to keep them allies.

Please stop posting nonsense, you haven't made any sense since the first post in the thread....

When I saw the headlines announcing the fare hike approval by the board, I told myself it's about time that the state put its foot down and decisively said no.

And before any of you MTA supporters begin blabbering about how the state should be giving the agency more money, consider this: the MTA is well-known for its wastefulness. Even the governor suspects the MTA of keeping 'two sets of books'. Point is, you give them more, they'll waste more.

You're getting your personalities mixed up. The "two sets of books" canard was created by Controller Alan Hevesi in 2003. It was thrown out in court.

(Yes, this Alan Hevesi.)

Politicians continue to latch onto it to avoid their own responsibility, but in fact it never happened.

Remember, the 2010 service cuts were originally threatened in 2009, and then the state bailed them out at the last minute. Several months later, the MTA comes out and claims that a large hole had unexpectedly formed in their budget, and that they would need an additional few hundred million dollars. Of course, in 2010 the state didn't bother bailing them out a second time, and so the cuts went into effect.

The 2009 deal was for a halfhearted payroll tax and included plans for further fare hikes in 2011 and 2013. (So why is everybody suddenly surprised that the fare is going up in 2013?)

In late 2009 the state legislature decided to divert $143 million of dedicated MTA tax revenues away from the MTA. Days later, the state suddenly revealed that its revenue projections for the payroll tax were optimistic - to the tune of $200 million. The MTA had to quickly find a way to plug a $343 million hole, hence the 2010 service cuts.

Andrew Cuomo entered office in 2011 and he continued to snip away at transit funding.

You're getting your personalities mixed up. The "two sets of books" canard was created by Controller Alan Hevesi in 2003. It was thrown out in court.

(Yes, this Alan Hevesi.)

Politicians continue to latch onto it to avoid their own responsibility, but in fact it never happened.

That's total BS. Just because the court threw it out doesn't mean it never happened. It just means that the court felt that there wasn't sufficient evidence or the case wasn't proven well enough by competent lawyers. Their numbers shift so quickly that the notion of them having two books evolved for a reason. Rumors don't just occur just because. There's often times truth to them and their operating costs are quite high. They're supposedly cutting costs but they still have a bloated from office and still have workers getting plenty of overtime. Having worked in their office at 370 Jay for two summers I can attest to you that no one is overworked in the office. In fact no one does anymore than what they're told to do. In this economy in the private sector, companies are expecting their workers to do more. They're consolidating but not in the right places... Cutting cleaners is not my idea of smart management when the subway stations are filthy.

[float=left]post-5097-0-85391500-1355950593_thumb.jpg[/float]The (MTA) board approved fare and toll hikes Wednesday, following the recommendation of outgoing Chairman Joseph Lhota, who is expected to run for mayor.

The increases include raising the base fare a quarter to $2.50, the 7-day MetroCard $1 to $30 and the 30-day MetroCard $8 to $112.

The plan trims the Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard bonus from 7% to 5% — but lowers the minimum buy-in from $10 to $5.

Read more: Source

I'm confused over the new $1 charge to buy a farecard. If I buy a farecard for $20, I get a farecard for $21 [$20 + 5% (20)] -$1 charge = $20. The $1 charge ate up my discount so what did I gain?

I'm confused over the new $1 charge to buy a farecard. If I buy a farecard for $20, I get a farecard for $21 [$20 + 5% (20)] -$1 charge = $20. The $1 charge ate up my discount so what did I gain?

I'm assuming that you're talking about the $1 surcharge. That dollar is added after the cost of whatever MetroCard you are buying has been calculated. If you're still confused, here's a small formula: [original MetroCard amount (depending on what card you're buying)] + [bonus (if requirement for bonus is met)] + [$1]. So, in your given example, your new MetroCard value in total should be $22.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the $1 surcharge. That dollar is added after the cost of whatever MetroCard you are buying has been calculated. If you're still confused, here's a small formula: [original MetroCard amount (depending on what card you're buying)] + [bonus (if requirement for bonus is met)] + [$1]. So, in your given example, your new MetroCard value in total should be $22.

Yes, I was referring to surcharge. So I pay $21 and get a card for $22?

Yep. The bonus applies to refills as well, and unlike buying a brand-new MetroCard no surcharge will be necessary.

And you're welcome, glad to be of some help around the forums.

Does the bonus apply now on refills? The only time I see bonus is when I purchase a new card. I don't see a bonus on refills. However, the problem may be I wasn't trying to refill enough to trigger the bonus. The machine has preset amounts of refill, but none mention a bonus.

That's probably it. Currently the bonus is 7% for every $10 or more that you put in your MetroCard, including refills. Anything less means no bonus. Bonuses have long been present for refills, and the machines do let you know that a bonus will be added by listing under the preset amount the total value that will be on the MetroCard, which includes the bonus.

That's probably it. Currently the bonus is 7% for every $10 or more that you put in your MetroCard, including refills. Anything less means no bonus. Bonuses have long been present for refills, and the machines do let you know that a bonus will be added by listing under the preset amount the total value that will be on the MetroCard, which includes the bonus.

Thank you for the information. Currently, I filled my card so that it would reach a multiple of $2.25, used it up, threw it away, and got a new one with a bonus. Now that I understand I can refill and get the bonus, I'll start with the next refill. It's clear you can get a bonus when you buy a new card but not obvious when you refill.

Aren't those cards paper. Also do Metro-north ticket machines include the surcharge?

What do you mean? They're plastic cards like the regular ones.

For Metro-North, I assume it's included in the ticket price if you buy one of those passes with a MetroCard on the back. Otherwise, I think you pay a surcharge on it if you're buying it seperately.

What do you mean? They're plastic cards like the regular ones.

For Metro-North, I assume it's included in the ticket price if you buy one of those passes with a MetroCard on the back. Otherwise, I think you pay a surcharge on it if you're buying it seperately.

I card I bought from a ticket machine was papery. A one-way kids ticket can be $0.75! You can save 25 cents but have your card made out of a papery thing instead of plastic.

There's only an additional charge if you buy your ticket on the train.

snapback.pngQuill Depot, on 22 December 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

Aren't those cards paper. Also do Metro-north ticket machines include the surcharge?

Quill Depot meant will MN ticket machines that sell metrocards include the surcharge. The charge Garibaldi refers is to the MN on board penalty of buying a MN ticket.

snapback.pngQuill Depot, on 22 December 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

Quill Depot meant will MN ticket machines that sell metrocards include the surcharge. The charge Garibaldi refers is to the MN on board penalty of buying a MN ticket.

Oh I see.... If you need a Metrocard there's an option to add that at the MVM machine. I always have my express bus Metrocard so of course I just pay for the ticket and select the option with the ticket w/OUT the Metrocard included. Same thing for the LIRR...

Not as bad as the earlier proposals.people kill me when they say that they are going to start driving when the fare hike takes place and they dont even have a car.by the time you pay for gas every week,insurance every month and regular maintenanace,you are paying way more than you would spend on public transportation.

While that may be true the idea is that transportation should be attractive enough for folks not to be considering driving over using it...

Archived