MTA signs off on fare hikes that include higher base fare, higher unlimited

Harry

Not as bad as the earlier proposals.people kill me when they say that they are going to start driving when the fare hike takes place and they dont even have a car.by the time you pay for gas every week,insurance every month and regular maintenanace,you are paying way more than you would spend on public transportation.

Also, tolls on MTA tunnels and bridges are going up. There's no charge on the East River bridges, just lots of traffic.

Not as bad as the earlier proposals.people kill me when they say that they are going to start driving when the fare hike takes place and they dont even have a car.by the time you pay for gas every week,insurance every month and regular maintenanace,you are paying way more than you would spend on public transportation.

Not to mention, added stress from sitting in traffic or worrying about the other people getting too close to your car and causing damages, etc.

You know, for someone who buys 30-Day MetroCards, this isn't half bad. I was furious when the fare jumped from $89 to $104, and it could've been a repeat of 2010. (I think they learned by now that if they implemented 2A or 2B, a whole lot us would've opened a can of whoop-ass.)

Not to mention, added stress from sitting in traffic or worrying about the other people getting too close to your car and causing damages, etc.

Those are the 90% of the people that causes the accidents to begin with. Luckily public transportation and my driving costs are almost identical since I perform my own maintenance without the need to bring it to the shop, plus my insurance premium is cheaper than most under 25 year old's as well. And I run a 4-cyl now + highway mileage? Yeah I rather drive, though unluckily my school and work is located in Lower Manhattan and I rather NOT drive there.

Another note "stress sitting in traffic" means you have no patience at all or you don't know the local shortcuts to pass those traffic jammed areas.

• 3 weeks later...

sigh, wish the Private Bus Lines were still here today. We probably would pay $1.75 for a ride which is really not that bad but the (MTA) is like a mafia. Why can't the (MTA) still run there old buses so that they don't have to keep destroying them to buy new buses which is x10 more expensive. I'm probably not gonna ride as much as last year.

And not to mention the extra fuel it'll cost because you're stuck in traffic and move very slow.

sigh, wish the Private Bus Lines were still here today. We probably would pay $1.75 for a ride which is really not that bad but the (MTA) is like a mafia. Why can't the (MTA) still run there old buses so that they don't have to keep destroying them to buy new buses which is x10 more expensive. I'm probably not gonna ride as much as last year.

Out of experience I can tell you that even private bus companies are fare hikers...

Archived