Best routes for a bus enthusiast

Aussieinuk

lol @BxM2... The BxM2 passes by the Museum Mile, Lincoln Center, Columbus Circle, Times Square and terminates at Penn Station, all areas that tourists would want to see and that New Yorkers go to as well and if you want greenery Riverdale is one of the most greenest, scenic places in New York City. All sorts of squirrels of different variations and various types of housing stock. In fact the area has the most mansions in NYC.

I would like to know what the best bus routes are to ride on, not as a tourist, but as a bus nut. I will have plenty of time to do the touristy things.

I would like to know what the best bus routes are to ride on, not as a tourist, but as a bus nut. I will have plenty of time to do the touristy things. I would like to see some bus depots,terminals, interchanges, and ride as many different types of buses, and of course take lots of photo's.As I have not yet booked a hotel, I am not sure what area I will be staying. I will be arriving at Newark Airport.

lol @BxM2... The BxM2 passes by the Museum Mile, Lincoln Center, Columbus Circle, Times Square and terminates at Penn Station, all areas that tourists would want to see and that New Yorkers go to as well and if you want greenery Riverdale is one of the most greenest, scenic places in New York City. All sorts of squirrels of different variations and various types of housing stock. In fact the area has the most mansions in NYC.

You can include bus nuts in that equation too.

Have to disagree here. I highly recommend the Staten Island Ferry - it's free and the views of the lower Manhattan skyline and the Statue of Liberty really are breathtaking.

True. I guess I'm just stuck on looking at it from a commuting perspective, because it's slow and it's stressful to make the connections. But I agree that from a tourist/transitfan perspective, it would be pretty good.

Going towards SI, you can look to the left side of the board for Governor's Island, and then once you pass it, go to the right for the Statue of Liberty. Going towards Manhattan, it's the reverse.

I guess he could take the ferry to St. George, S52 to Narrows Road North, S79 to Eltingville Transit Center, S89 to Bayonne, and then take the HBLR to the PATH. The S52 travels up and down some hills, which should be interesting. (This basically results in you making a loop around the island). For a shorter route across SI, he could take the S44/S94 to the S89.

Just make sure you look at the schedule before fanning, because sometimes routes have short-turns (and this applies everywhere, not just SI).

I recommend Bx12 +SBS. You'll get to see what bus service in NYC is all about when you ride that route. It connects with several subway lines so you can easily get back to wherever you're staying at and there are many points of interest (Bay Plaza, Pelham Bay Park, Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Fordham Rd) to enjoy along the way.

Yes, but make sure to avoid the rush hours, or peak shopping hours during weekends, as the buses are VERY crowded during those times, especially in the Fordham Road section!

I think the Q59 Is alright as terms of the spot between Grand Avenue and Flushing Avenues to the Grand St (L) Train station

The Q67 Rides along sections of service road of the L.I.E (Borden Avenue)

The Q88 is also a good route

Traffic is a bitch in the PM rush on the Q59. Can take me 40 minutes from Metropolitan/Union to 61/Grand. Can get hit hard at Bushwick/Grand from the L train. If there was a delay on the L, you get an sudden influx of connecting passengers, the Q59 is downright ugly coming home.

For me personally, the type of bus route to avoid would be those with large stops or lots of traffic lights (M42, M60, Q44 at times)

Routes I wish to ride someday: Bx29, S74, x22A, W15, W14, M98, S89

I like the Q88 and Q27 but with all those Nova's there now.............I don't think so.

I like the M98, Q53 and the Q67 (gotta know the schedule and hope it shows and the job is covered).

I notice nobody suggested the Q100.LOL

Well, I could have, actually, given that's its like a home route to me.

If you want to catch the Q100 at its fastest, I'd say anything from 21st Street/Astoria Blvd or Hoyt Avenue, up to 20th Avenue/Hazen Street is fair game, because below Astoria Blvd is a lot of traffic. Based on my observations, though, I'd say 20th Avenue is better, because there aren't a lot traffic lights from Hazen Street/19th Avenue (not at 20th Avenue!) to 21st Street.

Well, I could have, actually, given that's its like a home route to me.

If you want to catch the Q100 at its fastest, I'd say anything from 21st Street/Astoria Blvd or Hoyt Avenue, up to 20th Avenue/Hazen Street is fair game, because below Astoria Blvd is a lot of traffic. Based on my observations, though, I'd say 20th Avenue is better, because there aren't a lot traffic lights from Hazen Street/19th Avenue (not at 20th Avenue!) to 21st Street.

I was really surprised when I was looking at the MTA website and found this route, and saw that it went to Rikers Island. The only reason I know of Rikers Island is from the days of watching one of my favourite TV shows at that time "NYPD Blue ".

It must be the only bus route in the world that terminates at a prison.

I also forgot to add some routes from an unbiased perspective (the B38 is my home route)

If you like North and south routes i would say take the m15 regular AVOID the SBS the local is much faster by not much. also avoid the M1 M2 M3 and M4 cause they travel on 5th and madison ave cause traffic up and down is a *****. also if you want in interboro route (queens to manhattan) try the Q32 its a very leisurely route. some manhattan crosstowns are good and bad. my favorite route that is not the b38 is the q32.

there are more but i will add as i think of it.

I was really surprised when I was looking at the MTA website and found this route, and saw that it went to Rikers Island. The only reason I know of Rikers Island is from the days of watching one of my favourite TV shows at that time "NYPD Blue ".

I think there's a NJT line that goes to a Correctional facility.

I notice nobody suggested the Q100.LOL

The baby mama express (as I call it) in full effect.... lol...

I'd rather take a slow 69 ride along 21st to get to queensborough plaza than to put up with the Q100.....

Staten Island's S55 used to terminate at the arthur kill correctional facility before that got cut back.....

you just gave me an idea for a fantrip though... thanks...

Sounds like Astoria to me, but I wouldn't be surprised. Many use it to go to Queens Plaza.

Not like Queens Plaza is a hipster place either...I find that hard to believe, not the Q100. Maybe they were undercover cops haha...

It's not common to see a bunch of white girls & hipsters on that route... that was my point.

Queens Plaza not being a place where you'd see much of either only reinforces my point...

Is there some kind of jail by the Bx6 terminal? I typed it into Google Maps, and it says there's a "NYC Department of Corrections", but is that their headquarters or what? (Because I know there's an actual jail further north within Hunts Point).

Yeah, the Bain correctional center, on the opposite side of halleck...

Bx6 first pickup/last dropoff stop is on the NE corner of ryawa/halleck.... the entrance to the corr. facility is on the SW corner, westward.... Bx6 itself doesn't directly pass by it.....

Archived